Vacuum top of the engine extracton vs. drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
So instead of what goes in, how do you get the old stuff out?

I bought a vacuum extractor and will never go back to pulling a drain plug for oil changes ever again (unless I'm under there anyway doing diffs transfer case). It is so quick and clean. I found that it leaves about a 100 - 200 cc of old oil in the pan, but that just helps me read the level on the dipstick.

After 40 technology keeps me in the game.

Drain works fine for me. I have to go underneath for the filter and to grease the chassis anyway. Also, I have no problem draining without a mess.

Don't you have to get underneath to change the oil filter anyway? I've used extractors and they're fine. But there's always the risk of introducing contaminants into the sump with the extraction tube, perhaps not evacuatIng all the oil, and dealing with unpacking, pumping, cleaning and putting the extractor away. Pulling a drain plug seems simple by comparison.

I drain via the drain plug. It's also a great time to check for leaks and remove my oil filters from vehicles which are easily removed from underneath the vehicle. I use an extractor for removing ATF prior to a pan drop, or for an ATF fluid refresh, or fluid exchanges.

The drain plug isn't even accessible on my Merc without removing the under tray. By contrast the oil filter design is a masterpiece of clean simplicity. Just unscrew the filer cover from above and let the oil drain back into sump while the vacuum extractor does it's stuff. I checked carefully what went in and what came out and couldn't detect any measurable amount of oil left behind by the extractor. I'll never be going back either.

Drain plug for me always. By leaving behind 100 - 200 cc of old oil in the pan, so is all the crud that is not picked up by vacuum.

I also extract. Drain plugs don't let all the oil out either. I have also found I can remove all the measurable oil I put in back out.

any concerns about contaminants or gunk are resolved by using an oil filter.

Vacuum extractor wherever it is possible. And I always do it when the engine has been running a while and was shut off immediately prior to extraction. That way, contaminants are suspended and come out the tube. 2004 IS300, 2009 Corolla, 2009 Camry, 2001 CR-V, 1997 Rav4, and 2010 Cooper S have all been successfully vacuum extracted. The Camry, Corolla and CR-V have necessitated getting underneath to access the filters.

You can vacuum with the extractor and get nearly every drop.
Once the suction goes to bubbles, you put in a few pumps and move the hose up and down- I do this a few times and I have pulled the plug and got hardly anything out.

Why do it? On my SUV the oil filter is right under the bumper and no jack required and the oil pan is further
down the chassis and I don't need to mess with it. Saves me time and I don't have the wind blowing my oil around and
the extraction is very quick and I pour the old oil in a plastic five and I'm good for 5 changes.

I like the idea of pulling the plug, and I want no one to do it but me, but I'm an extractor now.
Only pull it when I have to.

I take care of my engines, so there is never a bunch of "crud" in the pan for the last 200ccs to carry away.
I don't get the chunky drips. Plus the velocity of that last cold 200ccs is not enough to carry out settled crud.

Touching a plug below the fill level is a source of failure that can be eliminated.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
You can vacuum with the extractor and get nearly every drop.
Once the suction goes to bubbles, you put in a few pumps and move the hose up and down- I do this a few times and I have pulled the plug and got hardly anything out.

Why do it? On my SUV the oil filter is right under the bumper and no jack required and the oil pan is further
down the chassis and I don't need to mess with it. Saves me time and I don't have the wind blowing my oil around and
the extraction is very quick and I pour the old oil in a plastic five and I'm good for 5 changes.

BING! Winner!

YMMV with oil extractors since every dipstick tube and oil pan are different. It works great on my Impreza, Odyssey and Explorer (R.I.P). I've been using one for a couple of years now and I don't have any dirty engines to worry about crud not being picked up. First time using it, I pull the drain plug afterwards and not a drop comes out.

I'd worry about the tubing melting against the hot engine but obviously this doesn't happen. I suppose this would be a good idea for cars with a filter up top, no need to get down and take the 12 bolt engine cover off from below!

Your vehicle is supplied with a drain plug, this is the the way the manufacturer intended the oil to be drained....and I think they are right. So your car has an undertray with 20 bolts holding it on, and it's hard to do in your driveway...it's only going to get worse.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Your vehicle is supplied with a drain plug, this is the the way the manufacturer intended the oil to be drained....and I think they are right.

Yet some companies (Mercedes for example) extract oil via dipstick tube when you bring your car in for service to their dealership. It's their standard operating procedure.

I personally have no problem with extraction if the engine was designed for it and filter is accessible from the top, like our current vehicles.

But in some vehicles the oil pan is shaped in such a way that extraction leaves too much oil behind.

^^ I have no problems with an extractor either, we use one in the boat. But for my vehicles I see no point. Removing the drain plug is a quite simple, and since I use the extractor for transmissions and filling transfer cases its one less thing to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back