Honda HRR216 Surging after cleaning carburetor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a brand new Genuine Honda Carburetor on the mower last fall along with a new spark plug and air filter. Mower was working great. Last week I started it up and it was surging really bad. I took the carburetor off, took it apart, completely cleaned it and the surging was greatly reduced. The mower starts very easily on one pull.

It still has a very slight surging and makes a pop noise every couple seconds, but disappears if I move the throttle a little bit to the choke position. It also stalls if I move the throttle from the fast position to the slow position.

Any idea what could be causing it and what else I might check?

Thankyou

Peetie

It is still running a little lean. Either there is still a small passage in the carb that is not yet totally clean, or it is sucking air someplace. Personally I would bet on the former.

Do you have a fuel filter on it?

Even one of those rockcatcher filters will help.

Only takes sucking up a grain of sand to plug up stuff.

I prefer the 40micron but sometimes they are hard to fit so the little disc 75micron gets used.
https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-691035-Selected-Engines/dp/B0035PVVBY

I'd expect something is still plugged up seems like you are running abit lean.
Does the carb possibly need adjusted.. since it was new last year.

I automatically clean the carburetor out and empty the gas tank every spring time after the mower has sat all winter. I know that if I don't do it, I'll be doing it anyway.

If you got the carburetor as clean as you said you did, you either need to replace the intake gaskets, or your fuel is contaminated and needs to be thrown out. Not a bad idea to invest in a Mr. Funnel.

The only part I did not remove is the limiter cap and the screw. I was afraid I might not put the screw back in with the right number of turns

I also forgot to mention I rinsed the tank with new gas and added new gas with Stabil 360. I had also removed the fuel filter and flushed it with carburetor cleaner. All the jets were spraying out carburetor clean and fuel filter was clean.

Where would the idle circuit be?

Thank you

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the honda carbs. The advice I gave was strictly generic as to the general problem. BUT, I am thinking that the problem MAY be the screw that wasn't removed. Remove the cap, and screw the screw down (clockwise) and count the turns, then remove, make sure the passages are clean, then replace with it open the same number of turns. Leave the limiter cap off till it is running right in case it need some adjustment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Peetie
The only part I did not remove is the limiter cap and the screw. I was afraid I might not put the screw back in with the right number of turns

Well there is your problem. That fuel circuit is gunked up, and impossible to clean if you dont remove the screw.

These carbs are what, $15? Throw a new one on and use non-ethanol gas and fuel stabilizer next time you store it.

And pull it out every month, or every other month to run it for 5 minutes.

I will remove the limiter screw and clean

Thank you for the help everyone

Peetie

Loosen the bowl nut again, but don't remove. Take the top screw (or plastic plug) out of the top of carb and clean it. The bristles on a wire brush are the perfect size to poke through the hole at the tip of the plug. Blow carb cleaner through the hole it came out of. Problem should be solved. Don't read beyond this part if you already know how to disassemble and clean a Honda carb.

Assuming you have the non metal (top) screw type, turn the plastic screw in that keeps the idle from falling below a certain level. Count the number of turns it takes to bottom out. Remember that number and remove the screw completely. The "plastic plug" that is exposed is pressed into place. Gently pry it up with a flat head screw driver. After it's out, you need to ensure the tiny (TINY) passage that goes through the tip and comes out where the larger holes are on either side is clear. A bristle from a standard wire brush is stiff enough and small enough to clear that passage. Once that's clear, (with bowl removed) blow air down in the hole in the carb where the plug came out. A little carb cleaner down that hole couldn't hurt. Reassemble it the way it came out, by pushing it in and tapping on it until it bottoms out. It will only go in two ways, both of which are correct. The flat spots on either side are your guide to reinserting it correctly. Reassemble and hopefully it will help. Does the mower idle like it's on steroids...you screwed the screw in too far.

To remove carb from engine. Make mental notes where all the gaskets go as you remove. A digital camera is a great tool for overcoming your carb removal Oldtimer's disease. As you pull the carb away from the engine, you can turn the plastic piece the back linkage (throttle) is hooked into a little and lift the linkage out. Remove the spring and continue pull the carb away from the engine. The outer linkage (choke linkage) is pretty self explanatory. Make sure the gas line is unhooked before you start pulling the carb off.

Last edited:
Peetie, sorry if I missed it somewhere, but how old is your can of fuel and how do you store it? What you describe can and is very often caused by nothing more than old stale fuel. Keep your gas storage cans clean, dry and sealed tightly and you won't have issues.

My Honda 2113 GDA rider is surging. I always use fuel stabilizer, but it started surging last fall. I have had the carb off and cleaned it with carb spray, which helped but it still has a little surge. Added a big dose of Seafoam to the gas. This carb is not cheap, any chance the Seafoam will clean it out? And since it isn't very noticable under load, will the surging hurt anything?

Originally Posted By: jennings
My Honda 2113 GDA rider is surging. I always use fuel stabilizer, but it started surging last fall. I have had the carb off and cleaned it with carb spray, which helped but it still has a little surge. Added a big dose of Seafoam to the gas. This carb is not cheap, any chance the Seafoam will clean it out? And since it isn't very noticable under load, will the surging hurt anything?

No. Surging = plugged low speed (idle) circuit in the carb. Putting something in the gas will NOT fix this problem! The restriction in the low speed circuit will need to be MANUALLY removed. All you need to fix this is Gumout (or equiv) spray carburetor cleaner and a fine steel wire. I use the wire inside of twist ties, it is fine enough and stiff enough to poke through the small orifices inside the carburetor, just strip about 1" of the plastic off of one end of the twist tie. Once you have manually poked out all of the small orifices with the wire, then spray through them with the carburetor cleaner to make sure they are all clear. You do not need to remove the welch plugs (and should not unless you have new ones and know how to install them).
After you get the problem resolved, do not purchase more gas than you will use-up completely within 6 months or less after purchase (even if treated with stabilizer), do not store gas over the winter, run your machine out of gas in the fall, and pour whatever gas you have left in the can into your car. Purchase and use only FRESH gas in the spring. If you are using a gas can that you have ever left gas in for an extended period (treated or not), or if the can you are using is steel, buy a new one. Also, if you leave your mower or gas can outside in the elements where it can get wet, your gas WILL get water in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Peetie

Well there is your problem. That fuel circuit is gunked up, and impossible to clean if you dont remove the screw.

These carbs are what, $15? Throw a new one on and use non-ethanol gas and fuel stabilizer next time you store it.

And pull it out every month, or every other month to run it for 5 minutes.

+1 bubbatime. Buy a new one for like $15. Not worth repairing/cleaning. Some carb's will never run right despite how many times they are cleaned/rebuilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back