Brand New 2016 F350 6.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome! and congrats on the new truck!! I was pretty close to moving over to the Superduty camp but ended up with a 2017 Ram with the Cummins. My manual "recomends" Rotella and the 40 weight oil but goes on to say that if it meets CJ-4 and Cummins CES 20081 it is fine.

After reading many of Dnewton's posts I am very confident in my oil selections. Even with emissions devices intact all the analysis data points to the fact that these new diesel engines are very, very easy on oil. I used to think that one must spend a boat load of money and run the fancy synthetic oils to ensure a long engine life. But the data shows that any old oil that meets the spec will do more than fine in the stock oil change index.

In Canada I found Motomaster semi synthetic 10w30 for just over 4$ a liter regular price. Thats a far cry from the 7$ plus a liter for the name brand Shell's and PetroCan oils. As again, the data shows that these full synthetics provide no better protection in a stock change index. I chose the semi synthetic to aid the engine in the cold weather starts I put her through. Sure I run a block heater and the grid heater but when it's -30C and not garaged, that can be a touch rough.

But thats why I love this site so much. There is access to real, objective data that allows a person to make an informed decision. I get to run this engine until the the truck rots around it and save money while doing it.

Thank you guys, I have lurked a few of dnewton posts and am convinced on going with a good 10w30. Thanks,Rick

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
b) Ford is practically schizophrenic in their lube recommendations; there are some recent threads here to prove that point.

It's to the point where it's just about impossible to recommend a lube that isn't "wrong" somehow in their recommendations, even when it's got the actual Ford certification on it.

dnewton strikes again with the T5 10w30
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Can't really go wrong with it though.

I was all set for a fill of ACD (to replace the HDD) until one of the members here said he would drop off 5 gallons of Series 9000 5w40 for me to try out next weekend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
This is a Powerstroke? Go with the current Rotella T6 that's CJ4 rated, not the new one that is CK4.

The Rotella T6 in local Walmart is CK4.

Originally Posted By: ofelas
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I've never ran T5. My excellent experiences have come from the TP dino oil.

All the more impressive!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: ofelas
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I've never ran T5. My excellent experiences have come from the TP dino oil.

So I finally found some Dino 10W30 on Amazon, but cannot find any history on it, It is Lube King 10W30 which is CJ-4 and SN rated, can someone shed some light on this oil by Warren Dist.

Thanks,Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back