Owning Mobile Oil Change Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some mobile brake service places around here. Some have licenses some are shady.

I don't see how changing oil is going to make any money when you compete with firestone and their $19.99 oil change with rotation.

You'll need insurance for sure... The issue of locations is something that is kind of on the customer to know what can and can't be done... But you'll surely get chased now and again.

Question is if you can price the convenience high enough to make a viable profit, including the time spent commuting, etc.

Be leery of those bringing their "last legs" vehicles to you for an oil change, then pinning the inevitable engine failure on you.

Many of my local shops often have $17-$22 oil change specials. How do you beat that?

Why not a business just inspecting cars for fluid condition, engine bay, brakes, hoses, etc.? You could charge $20-$30 for a complete inspection and tell them what they might need. No up-sell. No steering them to favorite shops. I'd pay for something like that from an experienced set of eyes.

You might be better to investigate owning your own lube shop, but make yours the one that doesn't overcharge, strip drain plugs, overtorque filters, sell un-needed whatever to the un-knowing customers. Make repeat business your primary goal! not dollars per customer.

If the above can be done in your area, and you can make a decent living, go for it!

A shop where the customer comes to you is better, they are committed to spend versus if you have to drive all over and then the customer changes their mind.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Yes. You'll not only need commercial insurance for the vehicle(s) you use for the business, but both general business liability (covers business as a whole), targeted coverage (covers damages to a customers vehicle), tool coverage, workers comp, and probably pollution insurance (in the event you spill oil).

Quite frankly, you're looking at a loosing proposition. You're considering a business that will make a maximum profit of $10 or $15 per oil change after the cost of the oil and filter are included, and that's simply not enough to sustain a viable business. Think twice and think hard about it.

Yep. There's a reason why those 5 minute oil places charge a ton of money for an oil change. Lots of red tape.

I cannot offer much in the way of business advice, my wife is the one that can run/manage just about anything. What I can say is pursue what will make you happy. Life is too short to deal with [censored]. Yes my career pays me well for what I do..... some of the time. I am good at what I do but it does not make me happy as it once did. Life is too short, in the end I want to enjoy what I do. You want to be happy, you will bring that back home with you.

Plan it out, crunch the numbers and if it can work, do it.

Tiger,

I think you would be better off having a mobile ice cream business. Just get a loud bell/speaker system.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I think you'd be better off if you found a really cheap shop lease and worked overnight. People drop off their car after work to get it serviced and then pick it up the next morning before work.

Of course you'll become a night owl but this puts you in a niche position. The only drawback will be that parts delivery doesn't work during the night so you would need to stock ALL kinds of filters and have lots of oil drums on reserve if things got busy.

Read through this, which is a principle that was hammered into my brain when I was getting my MBA:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competitive_advantage

Good Read, Thanks

You and I are sort of in the same boat. Different business ideas, but both of us looking to make a change and do something we enjoy.

I'm a little frustrated at the moment as I was expecting to hear from a potential supplier today, but I'm not beaten.

So far I haven't had my idea met with much enthusiasm, but I'm not beaten.

I think you would do better to have a permanent place to do the changes, so you aren't a rolling oil refinery, but perhaps, with the correct insurance, you could pick up and return customer's cars and waive them the hassle of having to drop off and pick up the car. As far as mobile, what if you did mobile inspections and picked up business that way. Check oil, tire pressures, lights/signals etc.

Personally I think you should seriously give it a shot if its what you want to do.

There is a mobile oil change business in Southern Ontario, Canada called LubeVan. I don't live anywhere near Ontario, therefore never used them before nor do I know anyone who has, but by all accounts, they seem to be a very successful business. They are a larger operation, but like many businesses, likely started small and worked its way up to be where they are today.

Lubevan charges a little more than what places like Iffy Lube charges, but many folks out there will no doubt be willing to pay a little bit more for the convenience.

The only thing preventing you from pursuing your passion is yourself.

Seems like a different concept. If you consider travel costs and all other costs involved with a mobile unit, I would believe it would be hard to stay competitive with the drive thru oil changers. If you do this at the customer's workplace, you have to hunt them down for the keys and return the keys, seems like more time used than stopping at the quick lube on the way home.

Last edited:
I ran across a mobile lube business the other day...turns out, he has a trailer which he puts vehicles on that has a trap door in the front so he can access the engine underside to do oil changes.

I asked a neighbor who works "up north" truckin'...
"If I bought a couple acres where guys could drop their class 8 trucks off at 7 PM for routine maintenance, and pick them up at 6 AM, would I get a response?"
He told me there is such a demand for that kind of service, I would be swamped in two weeks & turning customers away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back