Oil filter cutter, recommendations please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gents,

I'm looking for a cheap oil filter to be used only a couple times per year.

It doesn't have to be a purpose made tool, I'd love to hear your recommendations for cheap alternatives like tin snips, a pipe cutter, etc.. it's hard for me to justify 50+ dollars for something to use twice a year to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
A chain type pipe cutter works great for filters. I have a Tekton one from Amazon that probably cost $20 and has worked great.

Dremel or disc grinder work great. You can use them for tons of other stuff, they are worthy investments unlike a dedicated oil filter cutter you will maybe use once.

Thanks for the recommendations, does the chain cutter or dremel leave a lot of extra debris in the filter?

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Dremel or disc grinder work great. You can use them for tons of other stuff, they are worthy investments unlike a dedicated oil filter cutter you will maybe use once.

Problem with a Dremel/cutoff wheel is the debris that gets in the filter when cutting open, as well as the rate that you are having to replace the wheel (at least on the Dremel).

I used a hacksaw once. Took way too long, way too messy, as well as cutting media sometimes during the process.

I used my Dremel for several years. It works, but gets a lot of debris in the filter, making it hard to see of there are particles that the filter caught.
I used a standard cutoff wheel, I could do 1 filter per wheel. I switched to the fiber reinforced cutoff wheel. Could do 2-3 filters with that. Never tried the premium metal wheel.

I tried one of the exhaust chain cutters, did not work too well for me. It would start to cut, but as soon as one of the wheels broke through, it started crushing the can, not cutting.
Here is one of the one's I tried to use it on.
full-4879-948-1.jpg

I bought this filter cutter last month.
It works very well, nice clean cuts, takes about 1 minute to open a filter now and no mess at all.
The one thing I don't like about it is that as you tighten the post, it tends to make the other end come up off the filter base, so you have to press it down while cutting.
Not a huge deal, but can be a little awkward. I saw a similar tool, but it had the post in the center and the wheel on the adjuster, I may see if I can set mine up that way.
It was ~$43 shipped. A little more than what I was wanting to spend, but I am glad I did it.
Sure I may only use it 3-4 times a year, but using a tool designed for what you doing makes a huge difference in opening them.
Well worth it.

full-4879-4861-1_1.jpg

full-4879-4862-1_2.jpg

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I have a longacre, it's a worthwhile investment. Cheap ones will just frustrate you and some can even injure you

I too have the Longacre, it's a beautiful thing.

I'm looking into Summit Racing's. I think the Longacre is a longshot for me.

I tried a hacksaw once but it didnt work well and I gave up. I eneded up with a longacre one. It was expensive but I love good tools and I use it every chance I get. Plus, it seems to me any other way just makes a mess with a used filter. Thats why it was worth it to me. I dont need to be cleaning up oil spilled out with little sharp chunks of metal in it. The longacre one can cut a filter open with no mess.

Originally Posted By: jbcrawford
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I have a longacre, it's a worthwhile investment. Cheap ones will just frustrate you and some can even injure you

I too have the Longacre, it's a beautiful thing.

Me three on the Longacre. I think I paid $50 for it 5 years ago, and it works great.

Originally Posted By: Timo325
On the Longacre are you guys turning the tool, or the filter?

I usually turn the filter .

The trick is to make sure you lube the o ring and cutting wheel before cutting otherwise the gasket will not spin well

After countless cars over the last 47 years changing my own filters, and oil with no engine fails, I could care less about what the inside of the filters look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back