MoS2 in SHU 5W40 for racing application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I will be tracking a car of mine that has a 6A12 Mitsubishi MIVEC motor from an FTO (2.0L V6).

The oil I plan to use is Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.
Factory calls for 5W30 but this is a fair be more expensive and I though under extreme applications the thicker oil might be better.

I have a can of MoS2 as well that I bought a while back - Would this be good to use under these conditions?
I've done searches and it seems to be accepted that this is a good additive, I am just curious if it would help the SHU and if it was suitable for use in an engine that will be revving really high all of the time

Mos2 is a 'good' additive for your application. It is a friction modifier, so it makes e moving parts of your engine 'slipperier'. Also, it can provide a few seconds of safety if you lose oil pressure suddenly, the sacrificial layer might buy you an extra 2 seconds to kill the ignition.

Less friction does not necessarily equate to less wear, but it will improve horsepower. Definitely not going to cause any harm and could potentially give a couple of benefits in a hard used race car. Use with confidence.

The is a SOLID and not used in modern motor oil.
l
1/2 a can Lick we Molly Plugged my Honda oil filter seeing Hard street use. 1oz Works fine in the med duty CHONDA GENERAC generator with no oil pump or filter. Have not check tan/TBN though.

I would run it with confidence--I've seen it work miracles on Chevy V-8s with lifter tick, when all else has failed
IMO & experience, you will see the most benefit from engines with over 60 K miles--putting it in a newer engine = no observed benefit
I use it in all my OPE as well
Steve

Why not just use the Valvoline VR1 in API 30 Grade? It is a heavy 30 grade.

I would also bet Pennrite has a similar oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Lick we Molly Plugged my Honda oil filter

Once again, I (and many, many other users) call "NONSENSE" on this claim ARCO.
Use MoS2 with confidence Spetz. It will NOT plug your oil filter. This is a long-time (since the 1970's) proven product that has undergone extensive independent testing in labs and in the field for many years from a reputable company that actually works (read the BITOG article about Molybdenum Disulfide at https://bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/). It takes at least 500 miles for it to work it's magic. After the first full treatment, use half the quantity in subsequent oil changes to maintain it's benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back