INFINITY FX35/37 - experience thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's BMW X3 is getting a little long in the tooth...and I have fixed the AWD for the last time. Looking for a replacement in this category (small luxury SUV). She is set on a Range Rover...but trying to steer her toward something more reliable. I am really being drawn to the subject vehicle. Purchase will be low mileage used, and must have AWD. Any reliability thoughts on the Infinity?

Despite what folks say here peek at consumer reports too.

Infinity has a mixed bag of both ends of spectrum. I found consumer reports to be very accurate on reliable rating of my Acura MDX(very) and Subaru turbo wagon(not so much).....the black dots on each I encountered issues.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
I am really being drawn to the subject vehicle.

Have you test driven it yet?

The reason I ask is that when I did, when we cross shopped it against X3, Q5, GLK a couple of years back, it seemed quite a bit smaller inside and out compared to the rest.

Sorry, no experience with their AWD system.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I am really being drawn to the subject vehicle.

Have you test driven it yet?

The reason I ask is that when I did, when we cross shopped it against X3, Q5, GLK a couple of years back, it seemed quite a bit smaller inside and out compared to the rest.

Sorry, no experience with their AWD system.

Not yet...prefer to learn about it first. I would rather throw out a bad vehicle before I drive it and not risk my wife driving it and falling in love with it and me having to throw it out on account of poor reliability/costly repairs, maintenance, etc...

Originally Posted By: Danno
Have you considered a Lexus NX or RX?

Seem very bland to me...and wife found no interest in them.

My parents have a 2010 FX35 that they bought in 2010 with 1k miles on it. It's AWD with the 7-speed auto with ~60k miles on it now. No mechanical issues with the engine or drivetrain, and they praise it for its snow capability with AWD.

I think they had to replace a control module for the rear hatch locking mechanism and had the windscreen replaced once or twice. Other than that it has been a solid vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Danno
I don't take the latest Lexus updates as bland vs an Infinity, but hey taste in vehicles is a very subjective topic.

The vary latest are not quite old enough yet to fall into what I would consider affordable for my family yet. I agree...the very latest are quite good looking.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Nissan CVT don't have the best reputation for reliability, I would do more research on that.

The FX series has the 7 speed auto. I will NEVER own a CVT.

Very few complaints about those on www.carcomplaints.com. If you want to see a lot of complaints plug in the 2011 Kia Sorento or the 2013 Dodge Dart. One receives the Avoid like the Plague seal and the other receives the Beware Of The Clunker award.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Nissan CVT don't have the best reputation for reliability, I would do more research on that.

The FX series has the 7 speed auto. I will NEVER own a CVT.

Strange the use a CVT in the Murano and not the FX, I guess they don't want to get their premium customers in a lather and have them buying a Lexus.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
What issues have you had with the AWD in the X3? I see a ton of X3 and X5's around my area.

I have had to replace the plastic gear that engages/disengages power transfer to the front twice. The first time it failed in a traditional way (would not engage AWD) and threw the appropriate codes. The next time it failed locked into AWD, threw no codes and the car was not drive able. It took me half a day of troubleshooting to figure out it was the same POS plastic gear.

Other fun:
replaced starter required gutting half the engine compartment
replace coolant overflow tank...way harder than it should be
if one tire wears faster than the others that it throws off the AWD system
had three coils go bad...two of them were less than 2 years old
now has parking sensors going bad

only 123,000 miles...

What issues have you had with the AWD in the X3? I see a ton of X3 and X5's around my area.

I have had to replace the plastic gear that engages/disengages power transfer to the front twice. The first time it failed in a traditional way (would not engage AWD) and threw the appropriate codes. The next time it failed locked into AWD, threw no codes and the car was not drive able. It took me half a day of troubleshooting to figure out it was the same POS plastic gear.

Other fun:

only 123,000 miles...

Wow there are plastic gears in the AWD system?
crazy.gif

The starter is a common failure on that engine, as well as the coils. My friend had the starter fail on her '06 325xi. That required removal of the intake manifold and a bunch of other stuff. Not all that fun.

Other fun:

only 123,000 miles...

Wow there are plastic gears in the AWD system?
crazy.gif

The starter is a common failure on that engine, as well as the coils. My friend had the starter fail on her '06 325xi. That required removal of the intake manifold and a bunch of other stuff. Not all that fun.

Yup...plastic. The BMW fix is to replace the entire module which costs ~$800 just for the module in the aftermarket. I can't imagine what it would cost for an OEM part and the labor to do it. With a little research you learn you can take that module apart and replace a plastic gear for between $10 and $90 depending on which aftermarket choice you choose. The first time I went with the $90 plastic gear...want to guess which option I chose this time?

Well, we went car shopping last weekend...and something evil caught her eye. She didn't care for the Infiniti much after she saw this monster. She thought the hood on the Infiniti was way too long, and the back felt cramped to her. So yesterday I drove home a 2013 Mercedes Benz ML350. I'll try and get some pics up in the next couple of days. So far I am really impressed with the quality feel and features. Research I was able to do said it is above average for reliability...lets hope that is right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back