Brand new car - long idle before break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
You are overthinking. There is no reason for anyone to idle a factory-delivered car for extended periods. Your initial MPG values are meaningless because the computer is dividing by a small number with a lot of error.

His issue is with the runtime value, not with MPG values.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Originally Posted By: PimTac
How do they break in a engine at the factory? Rows of engines running?

Break in is done by whoever drives the car the first 500-1000 miles or so.

Read my second post..

Okay, got ya. Still on my first cup of coffee.

As for running the tar out of engines when they are new, that's the main reason I look for new vehicles with low mileage. Who knows what the previous person did on their test drive? Just my quirk.

No worries
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac

As for running the tar out of engines when they are new, that's the main reason I look for new vehicles with low mileage. Who knows what the previous person did on their test drive? Just my quirk.

Yes, this. I hate dealers that let "tire kickers" test every car on the lot. All of their cars have 300-500 miles on the clock. I once passed on a "new" 2000 Audi S4 with 300+ miles on it that could not move on its own power as a guy had fried the clutch on a test drive. Bring back the designated DEMO!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
You are overthinking. There is no reason for anyone to idle a factory-delivered car for extended periods. Your initial MPG values are meaningless because the computer is dividing by a small number with a lot of error.

His issue is with the runtime value, not with MPG values.

I know. He's deducing the time from the MPG. Since the MPG is wrong, also is the time.

Im a believer that the major ringing out is done at the factory, and then the rest of the "break in" occurs over 500-1000 miles...

So a few miles worth of idling, with no load and no real fuel, did nothing. Don't worry about it...

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Bring back the designated DEMO!

One of the Toyota dealer's here has Demos. They are all lined up along the side of the building. With the more common models have two or three different trim levels available. Makes the test drive part much simpler. Esp, at some dealers where they walk you out into the lot trying to find the right model and trim level while you're standing there waiting and waiting. Then they have to move some cars around, get some gas, etc., whew!

Last edited:
I frequently go to several Ford truck plants and they do run every truck for emissions testing and what they call squeak and rattle testing. Every F250 & F350 is run through a pretty rough obstacle course loaded with various types of speedbumps. Most of them are driven on the road at a pretty high speed on weekends as well. They are well beaten before you get them to ensure you can't break something too easily.

At 6 miles, really?

33.gif
09.gif

This is simple paranoia. Stop being paranoid you'll sleep better.

Last edited:
The real fault is with infiniti; they should have programmed the trip computer to ignore idling for the first 25 miles.

My GM owners manual states that stuff like the delayed dome lights will have much shorter delays with ultra-low miles on the car, presumably to save the battery.

Your car could also have had a low battery develop in its long boat ride. Idling a row of cars at the port is a convenient yet wasteful way of handling this.

If it makes you feel better, my mom's Chevy Vega came with 3 gallons of gas from the factory as stated on the Monroney label. I'd assume this hasn't changed, and that if you did the maths for 3 gallons of gas wasted idling, you'd find it to not be so bad.

My 2006 Crown Vic ex Police duty car, Has run up over 7000 idle hours plus 106000 miles, no worse for the wear. Dont worry,normal idle hours are really harmless.

Break-in is done driving off the line at the factory to the storage yard. Next time it's warmed up is to load onto ship/train/truck. Next time is to load it out at dealer. They need to see out windows, mirrors, rear vision - so they need heat unless LA/Vegas ...

I worked loading new vehicles into rail cars one summer early 80's as a teenager. It was the most high speed fast moving operation I think I've ever been involved in. Lot was huge, alongside assembly facility, rail yard on site. Crew leader (at a full sprint) would open drivers door, A/C on max on vehicles to be loaded. Loaders (me) also sprinting, would land in running car, floor accelerator, drop in gear (neutral slam) while trying to close door on the move tires squealing. We tried not to back off throttle until approaching ramp to rail car. Most dangerous part IMO was walking back along inside of railcar while others were entering at (relatively) high speed. It was really almost insane looking back at it. Crews were paid per hour on a sliding scale based on number of cars loaded/hr. Top was about $36/hr. Crew I was with never missed that mark the summer I worked. I would go home so tired sometimes fell asleep on the floor. It was nuts. All that to say, I don't worry about what happens before I buy a new vehicle, I assume the worst, and figure thats probably normal. I do think safety/legal/OSHA etc. has probably changed how things are done today.

That's why the port operations like the port in my city have huge processing centers to add on extras but also to fix mistakes made by Wild port drivers.

Had to laugh when I read your response! In 1988 I bought my first new car, a Mustang GT. The salesperson informed me it would be coming from another dealer. I asked if I could pick it up because of my concern for who would be driving it back to my dealer. He said no and that I shouldn't worry because the driver they employ is an older, mature responsible fellow. Finally, after some convincing, they allowed me to go with the driver to pick it up.
The driver and I get to the "yard" which is located in some backwoods of Pennsylvania(cue Deliverance music). It was a beautiful summer day, the birds tweeting, the butterflies fluttering, interrupted a little at first by the faint sound of a V8 motor being put through its paces on a mountain road. The sound getting louder every passing second,the driver that brought me there started to shuffle around a bit. We both knew it was my new car being thrashed like a rental! As we're standing there my car comes flying around the corner and is downshifted into first gear with an exclamatory chirp from the rear tires!! Talk about [censored]!?
I took delivery, the car was awesome and I tried to think about how much abuse a car goes through as it's being developed.

I worked at a dealer a long time ago. There wasnt a single car on the lot that hadnt been horribly, viciously abused within inches of its death at least once (I could say the same about the customers for the way they were treated....) Started up and instantly redlined, neutral drops, left idling forever, dead batteries because someone left the car running with the radio on while moving it until it ran out of gas and forgot about it, etc. The lot guys were in high school, making minimum wage, and didnt give a rats behind about anything. The cars didnt seem to mind the abuse. A bit of idling or a spirited ride early in its life wont hurt anything, I wouldnt be concerned about it at all.

When buying my 2014 rogue, Test drove a Rogue that was transferred from another dealer in CT. Hundred + miles high way drive out of the box - engine ran and sounded terrible.

Bout a different one.

Ive broken in over 60 cars. A lot is just luck and quality of design and assembly. Many cheaper engine do not have fitted pistons. Just net build with tolerance.

Sometimes you get a cracker another time a real dud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back