The Iron Eagle movie series - why can't I hate it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the longest time I have dreaded watching the series of Iron Eagle movies. I finally broke down and started to watch them. But there is a problem - I was inclined to hate these movies, but I simply ... can't. They're charming! This is in stark contrast to television today, where when I see a modern television show being aired, I immediately leave the room or turn the TV off because it is abhorrent in essence. Maybe I've become an old curmudgeon.

There are still good shows on TV such as Blue Bloods, NCIS, The Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds, Arrow and I even like watching The Voice. If you like old shows such as Charles Angels and The Love Boat, more power to you.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
There are still good shows on TV such as Blue Bloods, NCIS, The Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds, Arrow and I even like watching The Voice. If you like old shows such as Charles Angels and The Love Boat, more power to you.

The shows you cited take themselves seriously but are unwatchable.
Cite: (NCIS is not quality programming) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msX4oAXpvUE
Cite: (Big bang theory without laugh track) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

I enjoyed Iron Eagle by watching Rachel McLish in Part 3, or the airplanes in general that overtake the sappy acting. Uhm... modern TV programming is utterly unwatchable. The Voice, really? When my wife watches those singing talent shows I just recuse myself to another room and read the news on the internet.

Iron Eagle Series is like "The Wraith". You can't hate it.

If you haven't seen The Wraith, do it. You'll be kicking yourself because you know a moment should come when you should declare it too cheesy or something, but you can't hate it.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Iron Eagle Series is like "The Wraith". You can't hate it.

If you haven't seen The Wraith, do it. You'll be kicking yourself because you know a moment should come when you should declare it too cheesy or something, but you can't hate it.

Yep, from the race with Ozzy song till the very end... definitely one of the best car movies ever made. When it came out on VHS, my wife couldn't understand why I loved and watched it about 100 times.

I've rediscovered watching DVDs of 1960's to 70's shows like Mannix, Hawaii Five-O, etc, are
still good.

My theory is the audience then were folks that went thru WWII, Korea and Vietnam and it
wasn't wise to insult them with overly implausible plots, etc....

Some actually described Modus Operandi,"MO" fairly well. In one Quincy episode Jack Klugman
explained he was going to "solve" a crime by finding the "secondary serial number" on a gun.
Turned out it's mostly true depending on the gun back then, the serial number ground off
where you see it but when you take it apart completely, it may be somewhere else too.

When dad died and we got his 1928A1 Thompson dewatted, the second serial was in the upper
receiver dovetail for the steel support for the forward grip! Still hangs in the study!

My hobby is stopping the DVD and looking up the FAA tail numbers on airplanes in episodes,
turns out they were all real and many are still around!

Go figure!

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

I've rediscovered watching DVDs of 1960's to 70's shows like Mannix, Hawaii Five-O, etc, are
still good.

My theory is the audience then were folks that went thru WWII, Korea and Vietnam and it
wasn't wise to insult them with overly implausible plots, etc....

Some actually described Modus Operandi,"MO" fairly well. In one Quincy episode Jack Klugman
explained he was going to "solve" a crime by finding the "secondary serial number" on a gun.
Turned out it's mostly true depending on the gun back then, the serial number ground off
where you see it but when you take it apart completely, it may be somewhere else too.

When dad died and we got his 1928A1 Thompson dewatted, the second serial was in the upper
receiver dovetail for the steel support for the forward grip! Still hangs in the study!

My hobby is stopping the DVD and looking up the FAA tail numbers on airplanes in episodes,
turns out they were all real and many are still around!

Go figure!

That is a seriously very cool story. I earnestly appreciate that you shared it with me. Thanks
smile.gif

As a child growing up on the 80's with HBO the Iron Eagle movies and The Wraith seemed to be on everyday. Still love to watch them to this day and the Dodge Turbo Interceptor still looks pretty awesome even though it is now over 30 years old. I laugh at the 77-78 Trans Am with the fake supercharger sticking out of the hood or Packard's C3 Vette with the hideous body kit on it. But, that was the charm of the mid-late 80's.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Better Call Saul

Yeah, that's a good quirky show, wonder where it's headed in April....

I found my self rooting for the old geezer in the old 80's new yorker!

Yeah, the point I forgot to make is, at the time, I did not know about secondary serial numbers on a gun,

I'm sure the general public and lots of muggers don't know that either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back