How long will your current oil stash last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
LOL. Yeah, I commute 110 miles round trip to work M-F, which works out to about 30,000 miles/year.

As far as the trans goes - So far so good. I do a single drain & fill to it every 25,000 - 30,000 miles, give or take 1k. The last one was @ 24,000 miles. Drain 1 gallon, refill with 1 gallon. I've been using Valvoline MaxLife LV fluid, but I'm going to start using genuine Motorcraft Mercon LV from now on.

I had the fluid completely swapped at around 120k mi. Still shifts good and the valvoline max life fluid quieted down some of the whine. It meets the ford spec, I did research before I let them put max life in the tranny.

I currently have 58 quarts, all destined for my 2010 Fusion.. should last me almost 3 years.

This is why I started the post, 58 quarts looks like a lot but 3 years looks very reasonable.

My stash will last as long as Wal Mart stays open.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I currently have 58 quarts, all destined for my 2010 Fusion.. should last me almost 3 years.

This is why I started the post, 58 quarts looks like a lot but 3 years looks very reasonable.

Well, for me, 3 years will work out to somewhere around 95,000 miles, give or take. Divide that by my standard OCI of 7,500 miles, and you've got around 12 OCIs. 58 Quarts won't QUITE do 12 OCIs, but since I have some synthetic in my stash, and a few Fram Ultras in my stash as well, I figure I can stretch a couple OCIs out long enough for 58 quarts to actually make it.

In addition to my 58 quarts, I also currently have 17 filters. I figure they'll get me to 350,000 miles, so I'll be buying oil before I buy any new filters.

There is something to say for having all the supplies on the shelf when a service comes due. No having to make a stop at Walmart for oil, and NAPA for filters. Instead, they are already on the shelf in the garage. And, instead of having to pay whatever is the going rate at that time, I know I got them all for a fair price.

So, between savings and convenience, I totally get having a couple years of oil changes and filters on the shelf.

I have to agree with this.
It's nice to have on hand what you need for any oil change.
You also the get to decide what to use.
Should the newer Accord get HGMO, M1 AFE, QSUD, SSO or Synpower?
All will work well, but part of the fun is in having all of this stuff on the shelf knowing that each will have its moment of glory in the engine and all were dirt cheap.

Until the next oil change, there's only ever 28 quarts of oil total in my possession! That's the combined amount in all my engines' crankcases, don't have room to hoard so much like people here do! Haha

I used to buy my oil on Saturday mornings, just before I was going to change it. Not any more! LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back