The new Rotella T5 and T6 no longer gas rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In order to be JASO MA certified the oil must have an api/acea gas rating. So the whole thing is [censored], the cert is gone but the oil is all the same.

I have made several inquiries with Shell about this but have not received a response. They should really update that data sheets in the Shell Product Catalogue to match the bottles on the shelves and the data sheets on the Rotella web site.

This is making people go
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Chris Guerrero is the Global HDDEO (Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oils) Brand Manager for Shell Rimula/Rotella. Here's a post of his from February 28, 2017:
Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Originally Posted By: chilson450
Is the new line of Rotella oils going to be suitable for mixed fleets? I see on their website the new T6 5w30 multivehicle has the SN rating. The other oils (T4,T5,T6) only have the diesel ratings. The oil jugs i have seen around here either have the older CJ4/SM rating or CK4 rating with no gasoline rating.

Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 is the only product of the new family of oils that is suitable for mixed fleets. - The Shell Rotella Team

Originally Posted By: wemay
People will be 'mixing' without even knowing.

Serious question. Would it matter? Or only if they knew they were mixing, like a placebo effect?

I don't know why anyone would even consider using any of their oil as everything on the retail side seems to be in such disarray no one is able to figure out whats what.
Personally I've never been a fan of SOPUS as every time I've tried it, either Rotella in a diesel application or QSUD in a gasoline application the UOA's always came back sub-par when compared to what I had been using before.

I've got a buddy who at one time was an OTR trucker, he told me that the bulk of them were running rotella, after a long run they would drop below the alarm preset for low oil pressure. They all added lucas to thicken it up. He actually had a 60 series torn down because of this thinking he had an internal issue. Everything checked out ok and he switched oil(different manufacturer) and never had another problem with low oil pressure.

Wow, what a mess they made for the T6 5W-40 oil consumer. So it really is gas engine rated as API SM/SN according to the "live Docs" but not listed on the new bottle (for now). That is just Stupid.

Most folks would take what the bottle says as "gospel" over Shell's website/help-line resources which requires one to go on-line to see it.

M1 could learn from this folly with the M1 0W-40 "FS" oil (i.e., not listing BMW LL-01 - does it met it or not?).

We still have Delo at least. Their T5 and T6 equivalents are cheap and easy to find.

Locally, I can just get XOM xw40's.

Moral of the story for me would be to just stay away from Rotella until Shell properly markets and labels their oil.

Come on already, SHELL, sort of a respected name in the industry showing its colors as a an oversize, mismanaged, lumbering company that can not even get the proper materials out to the public in regard to what classifications they are claiming for their products.

Pick a different company, its really that simple and there are MANY products from other companies just as good and better at the same price and lower. Why trust a company that produces an image of the "tail wagging the dog" ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Got 4 jugs Delvac Super at $12 each. 15w40 works good in the south ...

Good price for good oil. Mobil is having their spring rebates. Started March 1 and goes to May 31. $5 off the Delvac Super 1300 gallon jugs.

I have been buying the Mobil Delvac and Mobil 1 the last couple of years in the spring and fall, when Mobil does their rebates. It makes good oil cheaper.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/save-up-to-60-dollars-with-mobil-delvac

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Got 4 jugs Delvac Super at $12 each. 15w40 works good in the south ...
All of the Delvac I have seen lately is CK-4 (may not be an issue for you).

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
20170321_115944.jpg

It's gasoline rated on the jug. Look at the last item in the ratings list. JASO MA (motorcycle, of which 99% are gas powered). I think they are doing this because State of Cali will not allow "obsolete" oil ratings to be sold. So SM is now obsolete and the new rating of SN will not fit the add pack for 5W-40 ... They may just be playing regulators games ...

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: njohnson
Good price for good oil. Mobil is having their spring rebates. Started March 1 and goes to May 31. $5 off the Delvac Super 1300 gallon jugs.

I have been buying the Mobil Delvac and Mobil 1 the last couple of years in the spring and fall, when Mobil does their rebates. It makes good oil cheaper.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/save-up-to-60-dollars-with-mobil-delvac

Thanks for the link!

You're welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back