General Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Range Rover people out there that have any experience running General Tires?

What tire? General makes quite a few.

No range rover but have had some customers with the General RT43 on their luxury SUVs and were happy.

Fortunately no Range Rover but I have had some General tires, they've been somewhat decent.

General has some really good tires but most are kinda blah mediocre.

The general grabber 2 is about 95% of a bfg ko2 for cheaper.

The altimax rt43 is a great touring tire option for cars that is an underpriced value.

Size 275/40-20, right?

General doesn't make any tires for your car.

The G-Max is available in the size, but the speed rating is W. The OE speed rating is Y, and most tire shops won't install a lower speed rating than what originally came with the car, except for winter tires with the mountain-and-snowflake symbol, where it's OK to sue lower-than-OE speed rating because there's less heat when it's cold and it's understood that speeds are lower in the snow.

Do you actually take this thing off-road or anything remotely near what a Range Rover is capable of? Or is it just used as a car?

If it's just used as a car, here are some good tires for you:
Nexen NFera SU1
Falken Azenis FK453CC
Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2
Kumho Ecsta PS91
Yokohama Advan Sport

If you want an all-season:
Continental DWS06
Yokohama Advan Sport AS
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico
Pirelli PZero AS

Remember that General is made by Continental, so if you like the G-Max, you might like the DWS06 as well. Both are UHP all-season tires.

In the LR3 circles quite a few people run the Grabber AT2s, not sure if you're wheeling yours or even if they make one for a 20" rim.

General makes a fantastic tire. There new Grabber X3 are a beast. We opted for the tried and true BF Goodrich MT's but Generals have come a long way and are on par with the best.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
General makes a fantastic tire. There new Grabber X3 are a beast. We opted for the tried and true BF Goodrich MT's but Generals have come a long way and are on par with the best.

Great feedback, but you chose not to buy them lol!

I have a set on my car based on the great reviews here. I would say they are generally good, pun intended. If you want something that is serviceable they're fine. If you're looking for something extra (it is a Range Rover...) then maybe continue shopping.

I never thought any tire maker could produce a worse tire than Dunlop. But I believe that General has succceeded with the General Grabbers currently on my 2014 GMC Sierra. This is JMHO.

I have used BFG for over a decade and have never had a reason to switch. That said, the General Grabbers are fantastic tires and I would not hesitate to run them.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

I have a set on my car based on the great reviews here. I would say they are generally good, pun intended. If you want something that is serviceable they're fine. If you're looking for something extra (it is a Range Rover...) then maybe continue shopping.

I have used BFG for over a decade and have never had a reason to switch. That said, the General Grabbers are fantastic tires and I would not hesitate to run them.

How can you call them fantastic if you've never bought and used them? Apparently they're not more fantastic than your BFG's. I have used them, like I said they're OK.

How can you call them fantastic if you've never bought and used them? Apparently they're not more fantastic than your BFG's. I have used them, like I said they're OK.

I know many people that use them. I have seen them perform countless times on trails that would give any tire a run for there money.

I have seen them go 30,000 and 40,000 miles with stride.

I'm sorry, I am stating my semi-educated opinion.

I have never owned an 80 series land cruiser. I can still tell you that the truck is top performer when it comes to ability and longevity. I have personally witnessed it many times.

I have never owned German Shepard. I can tell you that they are loyal dogs. Again I have personally witnessed it.

I don't see how "owning" something can be the only qualifier to be able to lend an opinion.

Cheers

Conti makes top rated tires, their technology is filtering down to the General brand now that they own it. The same sort of thing happened with Michelin and BFG. Not so sure about Bridgestone and Firestone.

If you're considering General you might want to look at the Yokohama Parada Spec-X, which is a top seller at Tire Rack. $152 a tire in the 275/40R20 size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back