FRAM Extra Guard 3614, 4,xxx miles cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nissan101
There are a lot more things in life to be concerned about than a tearing oil filter

Clearly some do care.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay

That bottom end-cap separation doesn't look too good.

Thanks again '51.

I don't think that's a separation. What you see is the ADBV edge and the end cap that deformed upwards a little bit, not a real separation of the end cap.

Nice catch Zee. You're right.

Not impressive, but typical of an orange can it took a good beating and did not tear or otherwise fail, which is why millions have serviced vehicles just fine. Never the less as a BITOG'er I am a little more particular, and while I will happily use orange cans the 3614 is not on my "use" list.

In that size the TG car51 replaced it with is a much better choice IMO. For cheap filters the Napa Silvers in this size have bona fide thread end bypasses and typical stout Wix construction.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: Nissan101
There are a lot more things in life to be concerned about than a tearing oil filter

You're new here, aren't you?

LOL!

Thanks....awfully dark oil for only 4000 miles...I bet it was in a lot longer than that. At least she's in good hands now....

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
In picture number four,did the media split exposing the center tube?

Just pooled oil

Oh yeah,I can see it much better now on my full size computer screen,it's light reflecting off the oil. On my tiny phone screen earlier it looked like light shining through the holes in the center tube.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Thanks....awfully dark oil for only 4000 miles...I bet it was in a lot longer than that. At least she's in good hands now....

Yeah very true

Fram seems a bit lax on their pleat spacing, but it looks like those flexible fiber endcaps really do prevent tearing. Thanks for the peace of mind, Fram
wink.gif

This is the worst looking orange can I've seen on here. I would not want to use this filter size in an orange can. In the 3614 size it would be wise to upgrade to the Ultra. The 7317 orange cans have looked great. Unlike this 3614.

Thanks Captain for your work here. I appreciate your taking time to do this and all that you do.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
How long have they been making these filters, forty years? You would think by now they would learn how to space the pleats better.

You're right, they've been making them for a very long time. Many people have used them and they have filtered barrels of oil for who knows how many miles. But they just keep working despite the internet chatter.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
I've used the PH3614 a few times on my Vibe , it's always looked great.
This one didn't tear, but it's seen better days
grin.gif

Thanks for the Cut n Post - car51
thumbsup2.gif

Wasn't it the PH3614 that was ran to almost 9k? Heck, it may have been you Bud_One. I can't remember.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Like the other one car51 cut open last week, it looks ugly as sin, but it probably got the job done.

+1. They are called the OCOD for a reason. At that they may be the most used filter in the world.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
That car uses a 3614 and not a 3600???

Car specs a FL-910S so yeah a 3614, auto extra 51348 also. You can use the 3600
If you have clearance. I never felt safe using a 3600 on my old 11' focus cause it hangs down quite a ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back