Carry ammo weight preference

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you prefer in a carry ammo lite or heavy per caliber?

In 9mm I tend to prefer the newer 147 grain HP options on the market

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
HST 124 +P. Wanted the 147 HST but were sold out, so I settled for 124 +P.

Wouldn't worry about it, gel tests have shown little difference between the two.

9MM - Speer Gold Dot 124+P or Federal 9BPLE 115+P+
45ACP - Federal HST 230
.380 - Speer Gold Dot 90 or Hornady XTP 90
.38 Special - Speer Gold Dot 135+P or Remington Golden Sabre 125+P
.223 - Speer Gold Dot 64 grain
12 gauge - Federal #1 Buckshot

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
What do you prefer in a carry ammo lite or heavy per caliber?

In 9mm I tend to prefer the newer 147 grain HP options on the market

124, 127, or 147 for 9mm. I feel comfortable with any modern JHP in that caliber. Placement trumps the minutia with a handgun.

.38 special/.357 Magnum
J-frame- Remington FBI load .38+P 158 LSWCHP
SP101- Underwood FBI load .38+P 158 LSWCHP
GP 100- woods and hunting gun-.357 158gr. hydra shock or Underwood .38 special+P 158gr. Keith hardcast or Federal Fusion.357 158gr deer load.

9MM
G17- Winchester PDX1 147 grain
G26- Gold Dot 124 standard pressure
Shield- Gold Dot 124 or 115 Standard pressure

9mm: 124gr Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot
.40: 165gr Speer Gold Dot or 180gr Federal HST
10mm: 180gr Buffalo Bore
.45: 230gr Speer Gold Dot

But here's the critical point: carry ammo must be verified to work in a particular gun, with a particular magazine, through hundreds of rounds. I don't care how good the ammo is, or the reputation of the gun maker. You can't trust it until you've made CERTAIN that the particular ammo/magazine/gun combination is absolutely reliable.

Putting hundreds of defensive rounds through a gun isn't cheap, but I consider it essential.

You don't know if those Gold Dots will feed/chamber from that magazine in that gun until it's been verified.

Last edited:
9x19: 124 normally - I reload my own so sometimes it's my own bullets sometimes Speer Jhp.
45 ACP: 230 custom

Last edited:
Be very careful with your own reloaded defensive ammo, there are legal cases where such ammo created problems in courts.
Cor-Bon is another good ammo.

As far as all of this talk about, "the best ammo". Just call your local police department and ask them what they use. Or else simply ask a local cop the next time you see one. If ever questioned you have the perfect answer. You chose it because it's what your police department uses. Discussion over.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
9mm: 124gr Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot
.40: 165gr Speer Gold Dot or 180gr Federal HST
10mm: 180gr Buffalo Bore
.45: 230gr Speer Gold Dot

But here's the critical point: carry ammo must be verified to work in a particular gun, with a particular magazine, through hundreds of rounds. I don't care how good the ammo is, or the reputation of the gun maker. You can't trust it until you've made CERTAIN that the particular ammo/magazine/gun combination is absolutely reliable.

Putting hundreds of defensive rounds through a gun isn't cheap, but I consider it essential.

You don't know if those Gold Dots will feed/chamber from that magazine in that gun until it's been verified.
Yep. FYI for anyone that doesn't know. Make sure to buy 50 round boxes marketed to law enforcement. Most likely will need to buy online. It's much cheaper than buying the ripoff 20 round boxes at $1/rd. Usually $.50-.60/rd.

When I last looked at 147 gr 9mm, it was critically lacking in penetration in gel tests. Otherwise, I like a heavy bullet.

No discussion of carry caliber can be complete without consideration of capacity. One tactical training guru I followed was fond of saying, "never give up capacity for caliber". I'm simply not comfortable with only 6-7 rounds up. As a result, I've settled on a 15 round 40 cal pistol in glorious lightweight plastic. It is reliable, easy to conceal and has plenty of firepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back