CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I use Valvoline or Castrol CVT fluid for my next change in our 2015 Mirage? I used Amsoil last time but dont have the funds this time around. I was leaning toward Valvoline because it has better flow properties and it gets very cold here. What are your thoughts and opinions?

OEM CVT fluid. This type of fluid is not like Dexron that's been out for years and years. Unless Castrol or Valvoline are the OEM fluid manufactor for your vehicle.

Second change on a 2015? How many miles are your intervals? Maybe a change isn't needed. I would use Valvoline if it meets specs as you suggest.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Second change on a 2015? How many miles are your intervals? Maybe a change isn't needed. I would use Valvoline if it meets specs as you suggest.

Every 30k miles per manual to maintain warranty. just a hair shy of 60k but I'm going to a school for the Army so my wife will be driving it a lot and it will be over the mileage by the time I get back.

What are you paying Mitsu for the oil?
Thanks- I need to change the oil one myself.
forgot it was every 30K

I found this..........

Wherever you get the fluid, just make sure it is genuine Mitsubishi CVT for a 2012. The early (2008-2010-roughly) fluid is not forward compatible. Make sure your receipt clearly states the fluid name and part number for warranty proof if it is ever needed down the road. Third party CVT oil will cause problems in these units, and in the event of CVT failure Mitsubishi always requires fluid samples that they send to a lab for analysis to make sure their fluid is all that was in there. It is awful they have to do that, but aftermarket fluid is like poison to these things, even though they say they are compatible; I've had to deal with that first hand on many occasions, it simply isn't a gamble worth taking.

Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Mitsubishi
Satisfied Customers: 8551
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

OE cant do that unless they provide the oil per Moss Magnussen!?

- ID think that applies to lubricant spec. NS. -Arco

I cant IMAGINE mitsu requiring 30K CVT fluid change. Nobody does that these days ex on XF case and 3rd members - do they?

CVT have pusher belts and like a little flotsam in there unless you want your pulleys all grooved up..

I requested a 20K change to get wear-in detritus out of my Rogue cvt and dealer refused to service it.
My trans dipstick actually had/has mucky mud on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
All 3 brands claim to meet the spec. Valvoline and Amsoil specifically say it won't void Warranty.

Well the manufacturer cuts the check for warranty repairs, so when in doubt use the oem stuff. A third party competitor can say a lot to sell their wares. Not worth it to save a few bucks. Once the warranty is over, have at it with other CVT fluids. Then you can experiment around all you want.

Doesn't that bulletin from Mitsubishi suggest they should provide the fluid for free per Magnuson-Moss warranty act?

For that matter, has any manufacturer been forced to provide a lubricant for free because they state it's the only fluid allowed in their product? I suspect the Magnuson-Moss warranty act is useless and has no teeth.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Doesn't that bulletin from Mitsubishi suggest they should provide the fluid for free per Magnuson-Moss warranty act?

For that matter, has any manufacturer been forced to provide a lubricant for free because they state it's the only fluid allowed in their product? I suspect the Magnuson-Moss warranty act is useless and has no teeth.

No, this is from 2010. It is talking about using ATF fluid which is different from CVT Fluid. I know Jiffy Lube was a huge culprit of throwing in ATF in a CVT and calling it good. They are not allowed to void your warranty for not using their fluid as long as you use something equivalent. If Valvoline says its CTV fluid meets Diaqueen CVTF-J1, CVTF-J4 and one other MMC (Mitsubishi Motor Company) spec then they are liable for damage if Mitsubishi says it voided the warranty, which again they are not allowed to do. I'm not looking at ATF fluid, I'm looking at Valvoline CVT Fluid and Castrol Transmax CVT Fluid. I am not pay $20 a quart from the dealership and I dont want to pay $14 a quart from Amsoil so I did order the Valvoline CVT fluid.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Every 30k miles per manual to maintain warranty. just a hair shy of 60k but I'm going to a school for the Army so my wife will be driving it a lot and it will be over the mileage by the time I get back.

Got it.
thumbsup2.gif

Subaru says use only their CVT fluid too. You'll be fine. I did a 17-18 quart swap to Valvoline Full Synthetic CVT at 59k to get as much of the old Subaru CVTF as possible since it holds 13 quarts.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

No, this is from 2010. It is talking about using ATF fluid which is different from CVT Fluid. I know Jiffy Lube was a huge culprit of throwing in ATF in a CVT and calling it good. They are not allowed to void your warranty for not using their fluid as long as you use something equivalent. If Valvoline says its CTV fluid meets Diaqueen CVTF-J1, CVTF-J4 and one other MMC (Mitsubishi Motor Company) spec then they are liable for damage if Mitsubishi says it voided the warranty, which again they are not allowed to do. I'm not looking at ATF fluid, I'm looking at Valvoline CVT Fluid and Castrol Transmax CVT Fluid. I am not pay $20 a quart from the dealership and I dont want to pay $14 a quart from Amsoil so I did order the Valvoline CVT fluid.

Yes its is very expensive. Amsoil was $9.50 a quart online... Not a bad deal but maybe risky???

Yes, Castrol CVT can be used with no problems. Castrol is a reputable company with plenty of experience with transmission fluid. Plus, it's a great price on Amazon
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Yes, Castrol CVT can be used with no problems. Castrol is a reputable company with plenty of experience with transmission fluid. Plus, it's a great price on Amazon
smile.gif

Yes it is downright cheap compared to Mitsubishi!

Wrong wrong wrong... This while Magnuson moss act stuff is garbage. Go ahead. Any company can say their CVT fluid is "compatible or meets" the original manufacturer specs. Doesn't mean it truly does in the real world. And if your CVT bites the dust do YOU think that Castrol or Valvoline aka Ashland will pay 6k for your new CVT???? Good luck. They won't. Let's get cheaper CVT fluid to save $50 and if it blows up in a $6,000 transmission then ok I'll take the gamble. Ohh and this magical power of this act that everyone in the interwebs quotes will save me...... Might I urgently suggest this.... Look up this supposed "Saviour" act. Read it for yourself. Slowly and deliberately. See if there are loop holes that could leave YOU high and dry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back