Chrysler Town & Country Engines - 3.6, 4.0 or 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not driven the 4.0 but have driven the 3.8 and 3.6. I really like the 3.6 for power and fuel economy. The 3.6 always seems to idle rough but runs really smooth once driving it. The 3.8 idles smooth but definitely lacks the power and fuel economy of the 3.6.

Also the newer ones have 6 speed auto that seems good. The 4 speed is not too bad. Not sure about the newest 9 speeds in the Pacifica.

I am considering buying a used one and just wanted some thought on which motor / tranny combo is best.

3.6L Pentastar or none.

Buying a newer one with the 3.6L probably ends up being quite a bit cheaper than buying an older one and doing all sorts of repairs.

My brother's GC SXT w/3.8 gets 28mpg @ 60mph on the interstate calculated from gas receipts. Can the 3.6 do better?

The 3.8, at least when they put it in Wranglers, was slow and known for burning oil.

The 4.0, I don't know much about but there had to have been a reason it was only used sparingly.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
My brother's GC SXT w/3.8 gets 28mpg @ 60mph on the interstate calculated from gas receipts. Can the 3.6 do better?

I want to say yes. I had a 3.6 GC as a rental and it did at least 26+ running 75-80mph on the highway, so I'd assume at 60 it could meet 28.

I have driven rentals and a company van that have the 3.6. Some of them had less than 10,000 miles on them. The highest was still less than 30,000 miles. All of them idle rough by my standards but a little pedal smooths them right out and they pull very strong when pushed a bit. Easily get 28 mpg cruising 75-80 on flat ground. Hills eat it up a bit more. The 3.8's I have driven did well at lower speeds but when you get them to 75+ fuel economy really falls fast. Hills eat it up pretty bad too.

My grandmother has a 2014 GC, that Pentastar is really quick, a 4,500 pound van and it's a bit faster than my Sonata.

Pentastar Id guess is a MUCH newer engine design. As such, it would be my choice... Especially since it is known as a good engine.

The 3.6 is a great engine, but the 3.8 is tried and true. Can't beat an engine with pushrods! 4.0 has a timing belt, that would eliminate it for me.

The newer vans got a lot of upgrades and that will move you to the 3.6, I wasn't a fan of the Diamler era interiors. Felt like I was riding around in a Tupperware bin.

The 3.8 in my 2007 has never felt underpowered even when fully loaded with family and vacation gear while driving through mountains. Idles smooth. The only issue is the oil burning since new.

Only new car we ever bought was a 2007 Pacifica. Came with the 4.0 and 6 speed tranny. I've maintained it and my wife has put on most of the 111k we now have on it. It's been excellent. The motor is strong. Has a great sound and seems to have a surprisingly (to me) robust power band. The transmission has been rock solid, though it's had an occasional rough shift since brand new. Did one pan drop at 65k and put in a new filter. Hasn't been touched since.

Did the timing belt on the engine for $575 two years ago. Uses 10w-30. Gets 27 on the highway, 19 or 20 in town. Not a complaint at all.

I have the 4.0. in a 2009 Town and Country. It gets 20mpg around town, and 21mpg or 22mpg on the highway. Its smooth and comfortable on the highway, with plenty of power at 80MPH, where I set the cruise control.

Its not a powerhouse. It does have a lot of torque when in the power band. Its slow off the line, but once I'm at 2500-4000rpm, it will pass most cars easily if I need to.

The 4.0 has a TIMING BELT which requires replacement. A costly repair that needs factored in if you buy a used one. Mine is due in a few months and I am trying to decide if I want to have it done or trade it in for a newer car.

The 3.8 is a good engine-- smooth, efficient, nicely packaged (ohv layout is easy to work on), and reliable. It's been around forever, so parts are cheap and mechanics know them well.

Quick, it is not. It has reasonable torque for a heavy vehicle, but it runs out of breath extremely quickly. You won't win any stoplight drag races, but it really isn't terribly underpowered for the application. It's just that the 3.6 is such a great performer, if you drive them both to compare, you'll likely want that extra power.

I thought the 3.6 isn't as refined (nvh characteristics) as the 3.8 or some competitors. A bit harsh actually, but nothing that would keep me from owning one. 6 speed that comes with the 3.6 will yield better performance and fuel economy.

Expect 2-3 mpg improvement with the 3.6 vs. the old 3.8. That was my experience.

I have no experience with the 4.0, but have not heard anything terrible about it. Expect it to be more expensive to repair, harder to work on due to the larger 24 valve heads, compared to the 3.8 at least. On a used vehicle that is anywhere near 100k, I would want a screaming deal or evidence of timing belt replacement, if I were considering the 4.0L.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Having driven vehicles with all three engines, the 3.6L hands down.

I agree. Make sure that the oil filter housing has been changed of you buy one with the 3.6. They've been known to crack and cause leaks (up to model year 2014).

I thought the 3.8 was tried and true. But the 3.6 is newer and no less true--if not better (no oil burning, more power). Really comes down to cost, I'd guess. 3.8 is older, 3.6 is newer. More money to spend, get the 3.6.

I think the 6 speed auto was available on the 3.8, towards the end? The 4AT always seemed a weak spot--but on the flip side, relatively cheap to replace, if not a known wear item.

4.0 is timing belt, and I'm guessing a bit of an orphan now. I'd skip and get the 3.6 if I had more money; but not sure I'd turn down a 3.8 for the right price.

The engine is just a piece of the puzzle on these vans, although I do agree that the Pentastar and 62TE is the best combo yet. The other things to consider are the suspension enhancements and availability of HD brakes starting with the 2012 model year. HD brakes became standard in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back