13 dart 1.4t smoking and spark knocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriends dart is well a special car. Definitely understand why yhebdart got a bad rap with hers. The thing is always broken. That being said her car will randomly smoke from the exhaust when left to idle for a few minutes . She took me to the pharmacy a couple weeks ago and me inside for about 10 mins her in the car with it running started to smoke. Once it does this reving it up creates more smoke. It doesn't go away until it's been shut off for a few minutes and then once restarted it's fine. It does smoke a lot if you rev it up while it's smoking it will smoke as much as doing a seafoam treatment. It's quite a bit. Also when taking off from a standstill you'll hear the motor cackle like a spark knock on initial throttle input. The dealer ship of course cannot find a thing wrong. So all suggestions or thoughts are appreciated. No cel or anything either.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
What color is the smoke ?
White , blue , black ?

I'd say this is definitely a key question.

Also, what does the oil look like? Is it black or chocolate-milky?

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
White , blue , black ?

Oil looks ok the smoke is grey smells like oil. But isn't your typical blue color of oil

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
White , blue , black ?

Oil looks ok the smoke is grey smells like oil. But isn't your typical blue color of oil

I thought you were a car mechanic, if so you should find the problem.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

+1, but this seems like a relatively odd situation... Im interested when OP shares the end findings.

Yes, and the most common issues with the 2013 Dart are engine issues per my link above. Maybe the issue is in one of the 74 tsb's.

Quote:

I was a mechanic for years and would use other mechanics and/or the internet as a sounding board. I know many top shops that use the internet for problem solving. One could be a very experienced and proficient mechanic or tech and hit a stumbling block. Somewhere out there is someone who had the same problem and mastered it. I see no harm in a mechanic asking for advise. If anything, I have more respect for him.

Being a mechanic doesn't mean I know everything . I am certainly the type to talk to others . I've met people who weren't mechanics but flat knew their stuff and I've met mechanics that were as dense as a door nail. My thoughts was to pull plugs and see what I could tell from that maybe check compression to. It's definitely a dreaded car. Had I known her at the time I would have told her to pass on it. She bought it with 35,000 miles now has 46,000

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It sounds like it is running super rich and dumping fuel.

Agreed...wouldn't be the first Dart I have heard do it either...

The engine has been pre-detonating and the reason why it's smoking is because the piston rings are destroyed from the pre-detonation. What's unusual in this case is the the spark advance is supposed to be well controlled by the computer in a modern car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back