The new Rotella T5 and T6 no longer gas rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Shell's website indicated that T6 in 5 W 40 HAS AN SM rating,so you're wrong no matter how big you make the letters.

Originally Posted By: Rand
INCORRECT
So there is at least 2.

I look forward to seeing your retraction when you do some research above and beyond pulling outdated info/misprint from their website.
If you download the PDF from the Shell site it indicates T6 is an SM, Speedy. Retract yourself.

The jug of T6 5w 40 I bought recently at Wally says SM. So, shout louder.

Was it the new T6 jug? Does it have the Triple Protection shield on the front?

I ask because today I saw two new T5 jugs that were exacctly the same except one had the yellow/red Shield and the other didn't. The one with the shield had no API S rating. The one without had API SM. (Located between 10W-30 and ENGINE OIL). Sorry I didn't take a picture.

So, if I am understanding all this right, If i WANT a high phosphorus oil for my old flat tappet engines, I need to look for a diesel oil that is either an old CJ4 or a CK4 without an S rating. Right???

Originally Posted By: old1
So, if I am understanding all this right, If i WANT a high phosphorus oil for my old flat tappet engines, I need to look for a diesel oil that is either an old CJ4 or a CK4 without an S rating. Right???

Yes.

Originally Posted By: old1

If you want high phosphorus, do not get the T6 5W-30 Multi Vehicle. The others are fine.
I also notice Chevon Delo 400LE 15W-40 has a new jug but it's CK4/SN.

The jug of T6 5w 40 I bought recently at Wally says SM. So, shout louder.

Ugh. It's also CJ-4, not CK-4.
If you download the PDF from the Shell site it indicates T6 is an SM, Speedy. Retract yourself.

Again, that's for the CJ-4 product, not the new CK-4. Read the data sheet:
http://rotella.shell.com/products/t6-ful...t6-brochure.pdf

You're quite literally the prime example of why many good people no longer bother posting here; you've accumulated 9000 posts, and been around for six years, but instead of apologizing and admitting a mistake, you keep digging a hole and propagating bad information.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez

Before someone jumps in and says they spotted an API gas service rating on a new jug, let me post this...

If you looked at these two on the shelf, you'd think they're the same thing, right?
N1Bgmog.jpg

Now, look at the back. See anything different?
mGppnWd.jpg

This doesn't make any sense. I don't understand why it doesn't have anything on the front to show it two different oils.
SOPUS has us losing our [censored] minds here. I'm leaving this alone now, lol.

Anybody got shelf pictures of the "new" T6 5W-40 oil that loses/keeps the gas engine API S ratings?
How about any "new" PDFs that show the updated properties/ratings?

Reason I ask is that there are many folks on the Optima/Sonata forums that run the "old" T6 5W-40 oil in their 2.0L Turbo engines. If this becomes "diesel only" rated, many will need/want to know.

Thanks 6starprez for posting the T6 picture.
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
That is also what I see here

Which is inaccurate. You can contact/call Shell, or go look at a CK-4 bottle (as 6starprez did) to confirm what I'm telling you.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez

Before someone jumps in and says they spotted an API gas service rating on a new jug, let me post this...

If you looked at these two on the shelf, you'd think they're the same thing, right?
N1Bgmog.jpg

Now, look at the back. See anything different?
mGppnWd.jpg

This was the root of the criticism about Shell bringing out the new bottles before the new CK-4 oil was debuted. Very easy to mix these up if you are not looking closely.

+1. Between the hysterics of Ford, and Shell dropping gas-engine service approval (without any public info campaign), they've made a complete mess of the transition to CK-4.

Interestingly, both Mobil (Delvac) and Chevron (Delo) have transitioned to CK-4, maintained their dual-rating, and achieved excellent wear results with their new formulations. Out of the three large competitors, I know which two are getting my money.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
That is also what I see here

Which is inaccurate. You can contact/call Shell, or go look at a CK-4 bottle (as 6starprez did) to confirm what I'm telling you.

Here is a person who contacted Shell 3 months ago about the CK-4 5W40 T6:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2820011

Quote:
I … talked with tech support at Shell who were extremely helpful. Good news it that the new T6, though slightly different, is API-SN and SM rated and is still suitable for gasoline engines. The reason the SN/SM rating was not on the back of the bottle I looked at is that the formulation change was made back in September, but they weren't able to put the SN/SM certification on there yet. He said that newer batches have the SN/SM certification...

+1. Between the hysterics of Ford, and Shell dropping gas-engine service approval (without any public info campaign), they've made a complete mess of the transition to CK-4.

Interestingly, both Mobil (Delvac) and Chevron (Delo) have transitioned to CK-4, maintained their dual-rating, and achieved excellent wear results with their new formulations. Out of the three large competitors, I know which two are getting my money.
LOL - I hear you, but I believe that Shell will obtain the WSS-M2C171-F1 specification before the others (especially since neither Chevron or Mobil had the old specification).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back