Round in chamber ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my carry gun Ruger SR9c I take it out of the safe in its IWB holster loaded with a round in the pipe strap it on and when I come home it goes back in the safe that way no issue. The question I have is can the round in the chamber rust or carode from summer heat and or humidity? And how much oil do you coat the chamber with? I was taught that oil can be a big no-no to a chamber since it can creep into the primer of the chambered round thus having a dud round?

Also how long should you keep your defensive rounds before shooting them and replacing them with new?

I do once a year and they all go bang. What good is a gun in the safe if there is a home invasion robbery.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Also how long should you keep your defensive rounds before shooting them and replacing them with new?

Ammunition properly stored, and kept from excessive heat and humidity should last all but indefinitely. I have over 1,400 rounds of .30-06 M1 Garand ammo I bought from the CMP that was manufactured 50 years ago in 1967. I haven't had a misfire yet in hundreds of rounds.

I agree with CT8, I replace once a year and never have had a issue. I do try to keep the oil to a minimum but humidity is beyond my control as it's being carried a lot. If it is in an environment that you feel it was overly exposed to humility nothing wrong with putting that ammo in the range pile and placing fresh in the gun. Pretty cheap insurance that you are 100 percent confident it will do as told if the situation ever arises.

Just curious, how often do you take the gun to the range to shoot?

I shoot my carry handgun regularly, if not every time I go to the range. I like the peace of mind knowing that it continues to go bang every time. I unload the carry rounds and shoot cheap FMJs. I also clean it after every time I shoot and finish all metal with very light coat of lube, including the chamber and barrel.

I figure that's more than enough to prevent any issues with corrosion. My biggest concern is that since I chamber and unload the same carry round so much, that the bullet may start to get compressed into the case, so I cycle them and periodically shoot the most outside round, but probably not more than every 6 months or so.

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't go all year without shooting the gun with the same round chambered, if for no other reason than to clean out the pocket lint and get more trigger time on your most important gun.

Inspect your carry gear on a regular basis. That's the only way to know it's condition. I've never had any rounds corrode in the chamber in the Florida heat and humidity. I suppose anything is possible with enough neglect. I shoot the carry ammo on a regular basis.

We used nickel plated cases, and changed out carry rounds every six months. Chamber should be essentially dry.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Do you have children in your house? Is that the issues that drive you to open the safe every time you come home?

Yes I have an 8 year old son and several of his friends come over to play quite often.

I answered an in depth question about this on Quora..

I'm a reloader, and I keep a mag in my carry gun, as well as a round chambered. My safe has a heater in it to combat humidity. Just put some light oil on your rounds and that is fine. Cycle them once per year, and that should be adequate. If your living in south Florida, maybe cycle your ammo every 6 months.

Bottom line is your ammo is probably safe for a long time to come. We have used so much 12.7mm (.50 cal) ammo in the War on Terror, that we are dusting off 50 year old boxes of ammo, and they are firing fine..

I keep a dehumidifier going in the summer months as my safes are in the basement. Never had a moisture issue. Plus all my firearms get an oil down several times a year. Never any corrosion issues. I leave a very thin layer of oil on the bore/chamber. I am talking a few drops of oil on a patch and run through. Again, never any corrosion issues. Never have seen any issues with ammo and corrosion, but my firearms that have a round chambered/mag fitted get the ammo cycled.

I *was* carrying with Barnes XTP. Bought some Hydro's to replace them, second round in my carry gun with the XTP's did not go bang.
Good primer strike.
Tried it in another gun, still no bang....you just never know.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
I *was* carrying with Barnes XTP. Bought some Hydro's to replace them, second round in my carry gun with the XTP's did not go bang.
Good primer strike.
Tried it in another gun, still no bang....you just never know.

Sounds like you got some fake ammo. Hornady makes XTP.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Timo325
I'm a reloader, and I keep a mag in my carry gun, as well as a round chambered. My safe has a heater in it to combat humidity. Just put some light oil on your rounds and that is fine. Cycle them once per year, and that should be adequate. If your living in south Florida, maybe cycle your ammo every 6 months.

no, No, NO, NO!!!!!

Never, and I mean, EVER, put oil on your rounds.

To the OP, carry guns should be broken down every month or at least every other month, for inspection and lubrication.

The chamber should be bone dry. Most pistol barrels are nitride, stainless, or chrome lined, so they dont really need any oil inside for corrosion prevention. Your Ruger barrel is stainless, so its pretty resistant to corrosion.

Rotate your carry ammo. 6 months to a year and then replace it. Or better yet, shoot it at the range, and replace it. You should be shooting several hundred rounds of your chosen carry ammo anyways to prove its reliability in your specific gun.

So in conclusions
1) Clean, lube your carry gun every month or second month (at most)
2) swap out the round in the chamber when you clean your gun. Put it in the bottom of the magazine. Do not repeatedly chamber the same round.
3) Replace your carry ammo at least yearly

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
Sorry, Barnes TacX.
You should have called Barnes. I'm sure they would have made it worth your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back