92 Corvette...Your thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 1996, it was a great car. I still miss it. From pics it looks well cared for, I would check it out and if it looks good go for it.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
Thanks for the replies.

What is "Optispark" and why is it a problem ?

Optispark desription

In the most simple terms, its the distributor. Sits underneath the water pump (how brilliant). When they work, they work well. But they arent the most durable creatures and getting to it is a good bit of surgery.

The early opti's had ventilation holes that allowed moisture to get in which quickly degraded the important bits inside. The later versions had an air flow-through design which had a vacuum tube connected to the intake to draw fresh air through the assembly, ventilating it and helping prevent water and corrosive gases from building up. They worked a lot better and had longer lives than the early ones.

Other problems with them were the seals, which dried out and rotted over time, and the bearings, which like any other bearing wears out with use.

There are conversion kits available to convert to a coil ignition. It still uses some of the parts of the opti to trigger the coils, but the overall reliability is purportedly much better and might be a worthwhile investment if you keep the car long term, and can be done for about the cost of a new opti.

If you are just buying this as a weekend toy, you could proactively replace it (and the water pump) with a good OEM replacement and not worry about it for a good long time. I did one (not on my car) and its not THAT bad of a job, its time consuming and awkward but really not too bad. I wouldn't let it keep you from buying what looks like a really nice C4, but do educate yourself about its quirks and reliability and be aware that its there.

If I were going to get another C4, I would factor in the cost of a new opti and water pump right off the bat, replace it, and forget about it and enjoy the car.

Originally Posted By: EricG
The water pump like to leak on the optispark distributor on these and kills it, check for leaks regularly. They make decent toys!

MSD has a drop-in replacement...it's half the cost of a stock replacement, and would probably work under water. I got mine from Summit.

MSD Optispark at Summit-$200

Originally Posted By: Milkman
Thanks for the replies.

What is "Optispark" and why is it a problem ?

Crank-trigger distributor, which mounts UNDER the (cam driven) water pump. If the pump fails, the result is an Optispark full of coolant, which generally results in a new Optispark. Also, a WP or Optispark job on a C4 looks to be truly miserable.

Speaking of coolant...was GM using Dexcool in 1992?

Originally Posted By: CT8
I would save up for a newer one.
THIS. Those older Vette's are turds. Heck, you are better off with a late 90's Camaro or Firebird instead

Hello All,
Thanks for your replies and sharing of your knowledge.
To the best of my knowledge/research the waterpump/distributor replacement should cost about $1200.00 or so. Does this seem right ?
I think that later this week I will take a ride and check the car out. If it looks OK, I'm going to offer $8500.oo

Thoughts ?

Thanks.

Optispark replacement on this is pretty easy. Except for the reverse cooling and the opti you are getting a pretty much Traditional SBC.

C4's are turds? Sure if you compare it to some stuff made to today, but in 1992 with an LT1 that was a mid 13 second car even with the auto. Decent brakes, decent handling not to terribly uncomfortable.

Most test have it at a .90 g on the skid pad, 64 mph through the standard 700 ft slalom and 60 to 0 in 122 feet. Not too shabby.

Still enough to poop on most cars driving around today.

They are good drivers that are easy to maintain. Standard GM stuff.

I loved my 91 only thing that sucked about it was the L98, wish I had had an LT1 car...until I put the 383 in it
smile.gif
. 8500 isn't a bad offer.

If you are handy with tools don't pay anyone to do the opti, but if you want to have someone do it, 1200 sounds about right with parts and labor.

Beautiful car, great shape, great price, but unless you are dead set on the body style, I would say to spend a tiny bit more and get into a C5. They really are that much better. I had my C5 for 9 years and it had 30k on it when I bought it and 133k on it when I traded for my C6. It was super reliable, got 31 MPG highway and ran 12.8 in the quarter mile with just a dyno tune and Vararam cold air induction. Whenever someone asks me about a Corvette purchase I always tell them to buy the newest one they can afford, as they truly do get better with each generation (which is why I can't wait to trade my C6 for a C7)

Not a ZR1, suggest you look for a ZR1 or a C5. They cost a bit more but they are collectible and awesome. More likely to get your money back out of it when the time comes. The demand on C4 seems to be pretty soft, even if it is the legendary ZR1 model. Really nice low mileage C4s are almost normal. That ZR1 engine is a work of art.

Just went to ebay, searched for completed auctions on 92 Corvettes and most are selling for half or less than what that guy is asking in his ad. Only one in ten seem to sell so that should tell you something.

Beautiful car!! The only thing I see wrong with it is the hole in the driver's side bolster. That's something that always blows my mind,people who don't take care of their leather,especially in an expensive high end car like that.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Just went to ebay, searched for completed auctions on 92 Corvettes and most are selling for half or less than what that guy is asking in his ad. Only one in ten seem to sell so that should tell you something.

With a typical 1992 Vette having 2X to 4X the mileage of the OP's car I'm not surprised that you can find those selling for half of less. Most are out of life. Mileage dictates much of the price.

Only one in ten selling on Ebay is a fact of life....for all vehicles of all years. 90% of Ebay sellers are dreamers or schemers. That's why only 10% sell. As soon as someone lists a car on Ebay priced to sell, it's gone instantly.

Ebay listings

Listings for 1992-1994 Vettes with under 50K miles only show a single car selling for under $10,500. Sweet spot seems to be $9K-$12K. Don't see any selling for under $8K regardless of mileage.

Originally Posted By: funflyer

I found none selling for under $8100 regardless of mileage. Completed auctions can be misleading as stale cars or ones with very high reserves won't get bids. Those auctions are meaningless without real competition. Look at "sold" listings. While those might not be definitive either with shills bidders working for a seller, they sure beat "completed" auctions where nothing actually sells. The OP's seller is quite reasonable asking $11K. Based on Ebay selling prices for cars under 50K miles, $8K to $10K is probably a reasonable value....not $5500 or less.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Beautiful car!! The only thing I see wrong with it is the hole in the driver's side bolster. That's something that always blows my mind,people who don't take care of their leather,especially in an expensive high end car like that.

I'm not quite sure what hole you're talking about (I can't see it), but keep in mind that the C4 is an extremely difficult car to get in and out of so sometimes people have strange methods of getting into the car and they could be grabbing onto the seat in a funny way in order to settle into it.

Patman is right, the C4 is hard to get in and out of. That and its lack of an LS based engine makes it less popular with a lot of people. if you get on cars.com you can find some crazy corvettes. Everything from ZR1s with under 1k miles to beater $4k C4s. Make sure the car is perfect for you since it may be harder to resell a C4 later than if it was a newer vette.

Hello All,

I took a ride and checked the car out. It was nice, but very uncomfortable to sit in. I didn't even make an offer.

THANKS

Now you should take a C5 or C6 out for a drive, you will be pleasantly surprised at how comfortable they are to drive!

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I'm not quite sure what hole you're talking about (I can't see it), but keep in mind that the C4 is an extremely difficult car to get in and out of so sometimes people have strange methods of getting into the car and they could be grabbing onto the seat in a funny way in order to settle into it.

I agree,they are very hard to get in and out of. What you have to (and I do this with mine as well) is sort've plop down into the seat vs sliding in down the bolster. Getting out I just either grab the roof and pull myself out or plant my hand on the chassis area under the door haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back