Aisin Timing Belt Kit Packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my replacement Aisin kit from Rockauto. Looks like first supplier did simply transfer an Aisin kit into a USPS flat rate box. He assured me all parts were genuine but without question sent me a prepaid return label and promised full refund upon receipt of returned parts. All parts from both kits appear to be identical. The Aisin hydraulic tensioner had the brand ink stamped on too. I actually found a photo on the Aisin site showing the ink stamp. I am guessing Aisin gets their casting from a common source and it is not possible to put the brand in the mold. I did get the Rock kit for $12 less as their price dipped down and then back up. I was lucky to get the low price. Ironically, the WP casting looked much, much nicer from the first supplier. I am very disappointed to see Aisin supply such a lousy looking casting. Of course, as long as the bearing/seal are up to Aisin standards all will be well.

Trav, your Subie Aisin WP was jewel quality but mine looks like it has a bad case of acne.

Probably depends on which foundry it came out of that's all I can think of for casting difference finish. Like you say if the critical machining and bearing is set right its a non issue.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Probably depends on which foundry it came out of that's all I can think of for casting difference finish. Like you say if the critical machining and bearing is set right its a non issue.

Trav, one more question. Would you hesitate installing a Mitsuboshi timing belt made in Thailand? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: Trav

Trav, one more question. Would you hesitate installing a Mitsuboshi timing belt made in Thailand? Thanks.

No I wouldn't, they are the world's largest natural rubber producer so it only makes sense to me that manufacturers find it more cost effective to produce close to the source or the base material.
This is a mostly automated process anyway except for the person putting it in the packing crate. I am sure Mitsuboshi has good QC.

Edit: I have used them without any problems. The first post in this thread (not mine)..

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mitsuboshi-timing-beltsi-205628.html?s=bfa7da41f0945d5e9eb45fb1c20f0f07&t=205628

Last edited:
Caveat emptor - while I would not hesitate to install an Aisin timing belt kit, due to the rash of water pump leaks on Toyota/Lexus models using their pink coolant, I've noticed the dealer service pump does look different on V8 models versus the Aisin pump, maybe the aftermarket one is the older pump while Aisin is making an updated one for Toyota V8 models?

The one I installed on my parent's van was the original pump with the Toyota name ground off. Aisin will source an Yamada or Hitachi pump for Honda/Subaru/Nissan applications from what I've seen from Worldpac's images. It'll just say Aisin but the castings look the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back