2013 Equinox cam phaser

Fiancee's 2013 Equinox threw a P0011 code, which Google comes up as a possible clogged cam phaser solenoid. Only 44000 on it, uses no oil, and I've always changed it with Dexos oil. Is it driveable until I can get a look at it on the weekend?

I've had this twice.

Once was a bad solenoid (G5 GT LE5) the other was a burnt exhaust valve (Malibu LE5 in sig).

The solenoid had taken on water under the connector causing it to fail. The other just seemed to be that good ol' GM engineering I keep buying for some reason.

Both times they drove 'okay' until something could be done. The burnt exhaust valve took a week or two to diagnose and it ran fine but was down on power.

Last edited:
Looks like the powertrain warranty should still be valid on it, so I'm having her take it to the dealer, despite the service rep's claim it may not be covered under the powertrain warranty. Huh, I guess I must be reading a different GM powertrain warranty that says engine sensors and actuators are included.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Looks like the powertrain warranty should still be valid on it, so I'm having her take it to the dealer, despite the service rep's claim it may not be covered under the powertrain warranty. Huh, I guess I must be reading a different GM powertrain warranty that says engine sensors and actuators are included.

The GM powertrain warranty is very comprehensive, it should be covered. Service writer was probably just warning if it isn't something covered there might be a charge.

They are cheap and 5 minutes to change out - just do them all and be done. I see a lot of these so it's a common issue......along with oil burning and timing chains.

Back