PUP or Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again everyone! It's been a while since I've been here because I bought 3 years worth of the original Pennzoil Ultra before Pennzoil stopped making it 3 years ago. But now I'm all out of PU original, and I'm not sure if I should go back to Amsoil Signature or just pick up the newish Pennzoil Ultra Platinum locally.

I drive an average of 8,000 miles per year, so I'd like to limit OCIs to once a year because I do the OCI myself, and I'm not mechanically adroit but I do pay careful attention to detail.

Do you think PUP can go a full year and 8,000 to 9,000 miles without ill effect on my 2006 Camry that now has 89,000 miles? Or should I order Amsoil again? Or perhaps you have a better oil suggestion? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
You'd be hard-pressed to find a reputable, SN oil that could *NOT* go 1 year/9000 miles without ill effect. If you want synthetic, the PP, PUP, or M1 should suffice just fine. But really a semi-syn or conventional will do what you want.

What makes you believe all the marketing about Amsoil and syn oil in general yet for some reason do not believe it lasts 1 year 25,000 miles?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
You'd be hard-pressed to find a reputable, SN oil that could *NOT* go 1 year/9000 miles without ill effect. If you want synthetic, the PP, PUP, or M1 should suffice just fine. But really a semi-syn or conventional will do what you want.

+1

PP will work for you just fine. People tend to overthink and over pay for 'bestest' that is unnecessary.
Just don't neglect maintenance work on the car.
Personally, using PP I do 6K mi OCIs, I don't buy into obsession with long OCIs.

Originally Posted By: dubber09
People tend to overthink and over pay for 'bestest' that is unnecessary.

Truer words were never spoken, idiots!.... Oh, wait, I've been known to fall for that too!
Truth is we are all splitting hairs over some very, very good oil choices, when there are many more important things we should be concerned with.

I guess my take would be that, if you really liked the PU and don't mind spending the extra money, the Amsoil SS is probably more similar to PU by VOA-type analyses than the PUP (judging by 5W30 products). The Amsoil SS and PU both had big doses of calcium and extremely low NOACK losses...PU was particularly known for the latter given that it was not an expensive "exotic" oil.
I think PUP would be just fine for 9kmiles in your engine, just my two cents on what would be more akin to the PU you seemed to like so much!

you could also get an oil analysis done at 8-9000 miles and leave no doubt. id bet a few that you could go to 12000 miles easily and oil report would still say you could go longer,just be sure to use decent filter,no junk. so many factors determine how long you can safely go on an oil change,not just quality of oil,unless you spend money for oil analysis you will never truly know.

Why spend the money on Amsoil when you can get the Pennzoil locally? Seems like a no-brainer to me! It's hard finding PUP anywhere so you should take advantage of it! It will go 8k just fine in that engine, Toyota engines are pretty gentle on oil as a whole. I run 7500mi using regular PP in my Tacoma with no ill effects to report. Factory recommendation was set at 5k on regular SL rated 5W-30 dino, figured 2500mi extra on a much more robust SN synthetic oil would be cakewalk if not overkill!

I'd happily use that PUP if I could find it locally, but, it's not worth the hassle for me to get. I don't personally believe Amsoil does anything better than the synthetics you can get at your local auto parts store for half the price. JMO!

Thanks 440Magnum, Virtus_Probi, and everyone else too. Appreciate the really great advice from everyone.

I'm having trouble finding PUP at local Walmarts, Targets, and Advance Auto. Amazon has it but at about the same price as Amsoil.

I'd like to try PUP before reordering from Amsoil again because I've never tried the Natural Gas oil, but I don't want to pay Amsoil prices for the PUP on Amazon.

Unless someone has a better idea, I guess I'll just pick up some regular ole PP (Pennzoil Platinum) locally at Walmart for $22.xx for a 5-quart jug. That's about $5 cheaper than the Mobil 1.

Last edited:
I dunno. I may just pick up the PUP on Amazon even for the expensive price. I would like to try PUP before returning to Amsoil. I'm sure like several of you have mentioned the PUP can go 8,000 to 9,000 miles, but does it have enough calcium and other elements to go a full 1 year? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Well, too late. I just picked up a 6-quart case of PUP on Amazon for $47.xx plus $3 tax. Ouch. I hope it has enough calcium and other elements to last a full year. Lol

Last edited:
Additive package of this PUP 5W30 A1B1/A5B5 is more than adequate for 9000 miles in your Camry.
Am inching towards 9000 miles with a Total Quartz blend 10W40 without worry, though sulfur in gasoline fuels is 500 ppm.

Don't they run a rebate campaign on Pennzoil site? Sorry, I don't usually follow rebates, but when they are on, premium oils come out cheaper than conventional ones sometimes

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Don't they run a rebate campaign on Pennzoil site? Sorry, I don't usually follow rebates, but when they are on, premium oils come out cheaper than conventional ones sometimes

Thanks. A rebate would be great. I do see you can get $10 off, but you'd have to take your car to a Jiffy Lube or Firestone Car Care Center. Before the Camry, I owned a Toyota Tercel. Took the Tercel to Jiffy Lube once, and they either did a coolant flush or just filled the coolant reservoir with green coolant instead of pink Toyota Super Long Life coolant. Can't recall but I guess I must have asked them for a coolant flush. Within a month or two, the coolant in the reservoir had turned black due to the improper green stuff breaking the seals within the motor and mixing with the motor's oil. That was the last time I took any car to Jiffy Lube. That Tercel only had 32,000 miles on it when Jiffy Lube did a jiffy on it. The Tercel would still drive, but the arrow on its engine temperature dial would always show a higher engine temperature than the usual reading before Jiffy Lube.

Last edited:
I think Jiffy Lube's tall outdoor sign was advertising an inexpensively priced coolant flush, so as a young guy not knowing much about cars then, I went in and got one, only they put green stuff in the car instead of the necessary pink stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back