Knowledge on cdv valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of folks in the dart community get rid of this piece . It's a clutch delay valve. I'm not one to change systems like that without knowing exactly what I am getting into. Does anyone have thoughts on this ?

It limits the brake fluid flow so that the clutch re-engagement is smoother. The downside of this is that when you want to drive in a spirited manner and quickly release the clutch at high RPM, the clutch may slip a little instead of biting hard and quick.

I would keep it if you don't do many high RPM shifts.

It depends how bad the CDV is and how easy it is to remove.

The one in my Hyundai Sonata was one of the features that made it terrible to drive. But no one I saw posted about removing them. After I sold the car I found out it's probably part of the throwout bearing, so not easy to remove.

On my Cruze, the CDV is fine, but it's very easy to remove, so I might remove it and see how it drives.

The Jetta drives great. I assume it has some kind of CDV, but I don't care because even if it does I'll just leave it.

They're aimed at making a manual transmission easier to drive, but in some cases they can be very frustrating for people who already know how to drive a manual transmission.

Best "mod" I did on my Sportwagen.

I had issues though, that made me pull it out:

If I was stopped on an incline, with a wagon-load of camping and climbing gear, I had to slip the clutch way too much to get moving and at too high an RPM, as the "delay" was not letting the clutch fully engage in time. Also had to kill the AC - otherwise the car would stall. Seriously burning the clutch just to get moving made the car feel defective, from the factory. Unloaded car, no problems. (insert been driving manuals 20+ years comment)
Pulled out the CDV and it acts like a normal clutch now. Engages in time to not require burning of clutch under those same situations.
It was never about speed shifts or performance for me.

CDVs "protect" the driveline from people who don't know how to properly operate manuals.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
They're aimed at making a manual transmission easier to drive, but in some cases they can be very frustrating for people who already know how to drive a manual transmission.

They are there to protect the drivetrain from someone who does not know how to drive stick.
smile.gif

I had it removed from my 530i as soon as I bought it. CDV in my car was a real PITA and made you look like you don't know how to drive. It was nearly impossible to get a consistent smooth shift because the CDV would always do its own thing.

But as was stated earlier, it probably all depends on how it was implemented. But my thought is, if you're going to give me a manual, then give me a manual and don't put a bunch of gizmos between me and the drivetrain. Otherwise, you might as well give me an automatic.

My Dodge Dart has it and at high rpms people say it shifts faster without it I haven't noticed and issue with it there.
What I noticed and wonder if it's with the cdv. Is on easy take off the engine will buck as if you let off the clutch to fast without enough gas input. Never had this issue with any other car I doubt my old s series saturns had a cdv not sure about my 14 focus though ...

If you are making payments and in warranty I'd hold off modifying your vehicle.

They are annoying but a decent clutch driver works around the oddities of a clutch setup and drives it smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back