Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
It seems odd that Toyota would make the odometer stop at such a low number considering how many high mileage Toyotas are out there. I know their other car's odometers go higher, so why limit this one? It already show six digits so why stop at 299,999 instead of 999,999? That baffles me, what's the purpose of this??

I don't think they did it purposely, I think it's a glitch with these odos...

From one site:
And it’s possible to replace an odometer—it just costs $580. One driver reached out to Toyota directly, and was able to get the automaker to agree to pay half for a new odometer. The reason Toyota won’t pay full price is because it considers this a maintenance issue. Drivers whose odometers have reached their limits are encouraged to reach out to Toyota directly for information on compensation rather than reaching out to dealerships.
http://thenewswheel.com/positive-problem-toyota-odometers-stop-299999-miles/

More about the math (well, the room in the eeprom):
http://socalspeedometer.com/speedometer-dies-at-299999-km-or-miles-why/

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: CR94
... my all time high mileage vehicle record (which was 309K in a '66 Chevy Bel Air)...
Which engine and transmission did that one have?

250 ci six and a slip-n-slide...and it was the tranny that went out...

My 66 Chevy Bel Air with the 250 six cyl broke the compression rings on #1 cyl. at about 65K. I replaced the short block with a Jasper rebuilt(ran great) and touched up the valves myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: CR94
... my all time high mileage vehicle record (which was 309K in a '66 Chevy Bel Air)...
Which engine and transmission did that one have?

250 ci six and a slip-n-slide...and it was the tranny that went out...

My 66 Chevy Bel Air with the 250 six cyl broke the compression rings on #1 cyl. at about 65K. I replaced the short block with a Jasper rebuilt(ran great) and touched up the valves myself.

I don't know if the engine in mine had any work done to it or not, it had 279K when I bought it...it did use, and leak oil though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back