The new Rotella T5 and T6 no longer gas rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this mentioned about T5 a few days ago so I looked at the Rotella site. Nothing for T5 or T6..

They do have a clickable link to a brochure for T6 which mentions API SL etc., but the old container is pictured.
21.gif

T5:
http://rotella.shell.com/products/t5.html

T6:
http://rotella.shell.com/products/t6-full-synthetic.html

Perhaps there's something mentioned on the bottles? They do a great job not marketing the stuff for gasoline engines.

If you go to the Shell product catalogue link on the website you can get access to the information sheets. Just enter Shell Rotella T5 in the search box and it will give you several T5 options to open. The product information page shows an API SN rating and that it is made with GTL base stock. It will show 2 T5 links. The first one will be for the CK product.
Also the T6 information sheet shows the T6 as SN rated and made with GTL base stocks.

Last edited:
Incorrect, guys. This keeps coming up over and over again here lately, so I'll put it in big bold letters...
wink.gif

T6 MULTI-VEHICLE 5w-30 IS NOW THE ONLY ROTELLA THAT WILL CARRY AN API GASOLINE SERVICE CATEGORY MOVING FORWARD.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Oli20
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
And it seems none of them have the JASO MA2 rating anymore either... I might have to go looking for some pails of old stock.

It says right on the website that Rotella T6 is JASO MA/MA2

http://rotella.shell.com/products/t6-full-synthetic.html

Oops, somehow I missed that... Good news then!

I agree, this is my go to oil for my ATV's.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Incorrect, guys. This keeps coming up over and over again here lately, so I'll put it in big bold letters...
wink.gif

T6 MULTI-VEHICLE 5w-30 IS NOW THE ONLY ROTELLA THAT WILL CARRY AN API GASOLINE SERVICE CATEGORY MOVING FORWARD.

INCORRECT

From their new product description.
Quote:

Shell ROTELLA® T6 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil

Introducing an engine oil that performs extremely well in diesel and gasoline engines, meeting API CK-4 and SN performance standards.

Quote:

Shell ROTELLA® T6 Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic

Introducing an engine oil that performs extremely well in diesel and gasoline engines, meeting API CK-4 and SN performance standards.

So there is at least 2.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Shell's website indicated that T6 in 5 W 40 HAS AN SM rating,so you're wrong no matter how big you make the letters.

Only if they've "rolled it back." Its had an SN rating for several YEARS now.

Anyway, the new "multi-vehicle" T6 and the change in the way they market T6 5w40 irrelevant to me. I use T6 5w40 in gasoline engines that most certainly don't need SN. That's kinda the point...

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
wink.gif

INCORRECTFrom their new product description.
Quote:

Shell ROTELLA® T6 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil
Quote:
Shell ROTELLA® T6 Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic
So there is at least 2.

Ramblejam is Correct!
Rotella T6 CK4 5W40 does NOT have SN/M rating.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4358186/Re:_rotella_no_longer_SM???#Post4358186

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Shell's website indicated that T6 in 5 W 40 HAS AN SM rating,so you're wrong no matter how big you make the letters.

Originally Posted By: Rand
INCORRECT
So there is at least 2.

I look forward to seeing your retraction when you do some research above and beyond pulling outdated info/misprint from their website.

This explains why new CK-4 versions are not "S" Rated, and why the T6 5W-30 carries API S rating, the T6 5W-30 is an E6 type oil with that E6 spec limits Zinc and Phos to .08% . The only E6 player previously available in america was Mobil Delvac LE 5W-30. The only vehicle I could find listing E6 spec was DAF EU trucks, i'm assuming with DPF/DOC etc.

“In order for a diesel engine oil to claim an ‘S’ category, it must now meet all of the gasoline category’s criteria, including the limit on phosphorous levels,” Negri continues. “Phosphorous has long demonstrated proven protective qualities versus ashless chemistries in diesel engines, but has also been known to shorten the life of automotive catalyst systems in gasoline engines. This means that diesel engine oil must be below 0.08% phosphorous to claim an ‘S’ category approval [the CJ-4 specification allows up to 0.12% phosphorous].”

The loophole that allows higher phosphorous levels from diesel engine oils when used in gasoline engines will be effectively closed. In practical terms, this will create a clear line in the sand between diesel-only formulations (“high phosphorous”) and universal oils (“low phosphorous”).

http://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/demistifying-new-engine-oil-categories-compatibility-ck4-fa4/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I'm looking at a new T6 jug right now and there is no API S rating on it.

T6 5W-30 or 5W-40?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back