VOA of 0W30 for customer "X"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Developed for a customer who wanted to market a full synthetic API 0W30 formulation with low preiginition characteristics.

SPF-0W30VB2 (elements less than 3 ppm not reported; ppm values were rounded)

MOLYBDENUM - 40
BORON - 140
SILICON - 3
Sodium - 5
CALCIUM - 1430
MAGNESIUM - 12
PHOSPHORUS - 730
ZINC - 772

VIS@100C 9.6
FP 465
VI - 187

ZDDP is primary AW. Secondary AW's are polymer ester and boron. Not seen of course is the dual anti-oxidant, rust and corrosion inhibitors, and VII which is in a very low treatment level.

FM is a combination of a specific MoDTC and monoleates.

Dispersant is a Boronated dispersant.

Good for a 10k OCI in most daily drivers, and for those who wish to use a 0W30 in high mileage vehicles speced for XW20's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Good for a 10k OCI in most daily drivers, and for those who wish to use a 0W30 in high mileage vehicles speced for XW20's.

+1

That looks very nice. I can see that working for a lot of people.

Pitty we will never know what it's called, so your friends on BITOG can grab some because they know it's the good stuff.

BTW how does Boron works as a secondary AW ?

SR5,
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/729134/Re:_Boron_Additives

has some great mola information (note Borax doesn't work).

VERY interesting...any guess as to what the NOACK loss would be?
Sounds like a good match for my poor DIT that has to sit outside through mountain winters...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Sounds like a good match for my poor DIT that has to sit outside through mountain winters...

Noack loss is 9.3% for the 1 hour test at 250C.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
What offsets the lower calcium?

Special secondary (ashless) detergent compounds.

Last edited:

Are these newer ashless detergents significantly more expensive than the traditional ones? And do they have any drawbacks?

Noack loss is 9.3% for the 1 hour test at 250C.

Heck, I would buy this stuff.
Can you at least give us some hints???
;^)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Are these newer ashless detergents significantly more expensive than the traditional ones? And do they have any drawbacks?

They are about 23% more expensive.

The common calcium-based detergents are cheaper of course, but since the customer wanted a low level of ash bearing detergent, something had to be added to supplement engine cleanliness for performance purposes, and to keep development costs within bounds.

To-date, no disadvantages have been seen.

Last edited:

Sulfated ash number?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
New project. VOA every 0W30 until we find the one that matches.

Somebody get this guy a beer on me!!!
;^)
Seriously, this sounds like a great product. I've been doing fine with 5W30s, but I'd sure buy a 0W30 that is formulated to minimize LSPI and has a NOACK loss below 10%.

Why not just ask Mola? Once the product makes it to the market, I'm sure he won't mind letting us know its name. After all, they do want to sell it, don't they?
smile.gif

Why not just ask Mola? Once the product makes it to the market, I'm sure he won't mind letting us know its name. After all, they do want to sell it, don't they?
smile.gif

I suspect he may not be able to say anything publicly even after the product is introduced...companies can be very secretive about whom they hire as contractors (individuals or other companies). Maybe to keep competitors from poaching them, maybe to avoid any stigma associated with not being able to develop things completely in house, maybe for other reasons.

Is it possible that calling them company X is a clue??
;^)

smile.gif

I suspect he may not be able to say anything publicly even after the product is introduced...companies can be very secretive about whom they hire as contractors (individuals or other companies). Maybe to keep competitors from poaching them, maybe to avoid any stigma associated with not being able to develop things completely in house, maybe for other reasons.

Is it possible that calling them company X is a clue??
;^)

A Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) I have with the company says that neither party can disclose the company nor the formulator, product name, blender, etc.

The listing of only basic elemental and other characteristics was to show the current state of formulations.

As far as introduction and marketing, the company will do that in due time. One of the things I insist in any agreement is that the marketing claims do not go beyond the results of what lab and fleet testing has given us.

Last edited:
One of the things I insist in any agreement is that the marketing claims do not go beyond the results of what lab and fleet testing has given us.

I wish this was an industry standard.

Alas, most marketers would have no job then.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back