Replacement gas tank: Steel vs. plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a leak in the top of the gas tank on my 95 GMC K1500 pickup. It's a 34 gallon steel tank and is likely original. I can order a replacement steel tank from Rockauto, which has brands such as Platinum Pro, Spectra, and Dorman around $100. I'm not sure on the quality of these versus the OEM tank. I've also seen some aftermarket polyethylene tanks for around $200.

I'm wondering if I should just get a steel tank and spray it down with rubberized undercoating to protect it, or pay the extra $100 for a poly tank that won't rust. Any preferred brands for either type of tank or ones I should stay away from? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: WA1DH
...around $100...

Cost to top up is ~same price as its container!

8' bed on your GMT800? Double that relatively modest -but oh so important- investment and go straight with the 'plastic' imho.

So if the original last 20+ years and plastic lasts even longer, just how long do you plan on driving this truck?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
So if the original last 20+ years and plastic lasts even longer, just how long do you plan on driving this truck?

As long as I can. It's my backup/hauler vehicle and sees about 1-2k mi a year. Rust will kill it before the engine goes. Bed will be coming off so I can scale and repaint the frame this spring while I change the tank out.

I replaced the metal tank on my Bronco with a plastic one. MTS brand, ordered from gastankdepot.com. Very satisfied with the quality.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I recommend avoiding anything made by Dorman. I am sure that they can find a way to screw up a gas tank just the same.

South Main Auto on youtube rails against Dorman parts. I've installed a few Dorman parts on not-mission-critical areas (e-brake cable) and they work fine.

Dr O installed a Dorman oil pump gasket in a 98 camry. Bad idea, leaked, and poor quality. Here is the video explaining it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCWnMg8NtA

I'd get the plastic one.

Even though the original steel lasted this long, I can promise you that the replacement steel won't.

Put the plastic tank in and never worry about it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back