Glock striker control device - the gadget

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a pretty neat glock back plate replacement that can act as an extra measure of safety when re holstering by preventing the trigger from moving if you hold your thumb over it, kind of like how we can put our thumb on the hammer of guns and feel it move if something catches the trigger.

Also its an all steel piece so it should be reliable and durable

Interesting. I like the idea.

I thumb check everything into a holster...not because it makes sense for each and every gun, but because I holstered my H&K USP Compact several thousand times, and thumb checking was part of the SOP for that hammer-fired pistol...it just feels wrong to me now if I holster without my thumb on the back of the slide...

I may have related this anecdote before...

Having coffee, and perusing the Denver Post, one morning many years ago, I read of a Rocky Flats (former Tritium/nuclear weapon site near Golden, CO) security force officer shooting themselves in the foot while on duty at Rocky Flats. I rolled my eyes at the obvious stupidity...

Later that week, I stopped by my neighbor's house. Great guy, who will remain nameless, who worked at Rocky Flats as, you guessed it, a security force officer.

He came to the door on crutches...with a cast over his foot...

And I awkwardly realized who the "shooter" was...and he told me what happened. They had just been issued new Glocks to replace their Sigs. But the force hadn't received their new holsters. So, they were directed to carry the Glocks in their old leather. While driving a pickup truck on a perimeter patrol, his weapon came loose and he...yep...THUMB-CHECKED it back into the holster. Safe, right?

Except that thumb-checking makes no difference on a Glock, and the Glock's trigger caught on the leather of the Sig holster, depressing the trigger safety, and the trigger, and a round discharged, grazing his thigh, and going through his foot.

I blame his supervisor who sent him out with inadequate gear. New gun in an old holster? Really?

But, I suppose the moral of the story: thumb-checking, while a good habit on a hammer-fired pistol, does little to keep you safe with a striker-fired pistol. That, and, never carry a gun in a holster designed for another gun.

Last edited:
Through the years there have been a never ending stream of add on "do dads", that are all devised to do what the person handling the gun is supposed to do. That is prevent the gun from firing when it's not supposed to. Including a gizmo that you wedged between the rear of the trigger guard, and the back of the trigger. It required you to push it out of the gun before you fired the weapon. I can't think of a better way to get yourself hurt or killed if you need to access and fire your weapon in seconds.

I think all of these things are just devices to allow people to continue to utilize unsafe gun handling to begin with. A Glock pistol is one of the safest pistols out there. If an individual is having dangerous issues with it discharging when it's not supposed to, it would be a far better solution to address what is causing that issue, than to go out looking to purchase some cheap, add on device that will allow the individual to keep carrying in the dangerous manner that required the gadget in the first place. If a Glock pistol is prone to discharging in a given holster, or while wearing certain articles of clothing, then that is what should be eliminated. Not running out and buying some device to put on your gun so you can continue with the danger being still present. Safe gun handling is just that, safe. I've always said, (and devices like these prove it). Show me a guy who "needs" a safety on a handgun, and I'll show you a guy who I don't want to be around when he's handling a gun..... Any gun.

I'm going to pass. If you can't train yourself to keep your finger out of the trigger guard(which should be second nature) while holstering a loaded Glock I doubt you're going to get yourself to reliably mash the back of the slide with your thumb.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I think all of these things are just devices to allow people to continue to utilize unsafe gun handling to begin with. Safe gun handling is just that, safe. I've always said, (and devices like these prove it). Show me a guy who "needs" a safety on a handgun, and I'll show you a guy who I don't want to be around when he's handling a gun..... Any gun.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I'm going to pass. If you can't train yourself to keep your finger out of the trigger guard (which should be second nature) while holstering a loaded Glock I doubt you're going to get yourself to reliably mash the back of the slide with your thumb.
In full agreement with both of you; this smacks of a gimmick at best and bypasses the first cardinal rule--keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. IMHO, this will ultimately lead to complacency which eventually leads to negligent discharges.

Last edited by a moderator:
+3

Keep your finger off the trigger and the weapon will not fire. The wrong holster AD is a clear example of why you must use the correct equipment and be familiar with it's operation. I like a CrossBreed SuperTuck IWB, or a blackhawk style OWB with the mechanism that locks on the trigger guard to secure the weapon in the holster. It's a very natural draw that encourages safety.

Finger off the trigger? People having negligent discharges are being caused by items stuck in their holster such as clothing, brass and one guy told an interesting story about a piece of clay being stuck in his holster while doing outdoor range drills.

I can see value in this thing for guys that have always carried a hammer fired handgun. I've only carried Glocks, so I have no reflex to touch the back of the slide as I'm holstering. However, I like that this device does not at all hinder the operation of the firearm. To everyone else, particularly when unholstering, it's still point and shoot.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Glock perfection, if why so many after market gizmos?

So fast buck artists can quench the thirst of dangerous, absent minded operators. Who are all looking for solutions to non existent problems. And who think a $10 dollar doohickey can make up for poor gun handling.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Finger off the trigger? People having negligent discharges are being caused by items stuck in their holster such as clothing, brass and one guy told an interesting story about a piece of clay being stuck in his holster while doing outdoor range drills.

Most of these fanciful stories are people who had their finger in the trigger guard.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I can see value in this thing for guys that have always carried a hammer fired handgun. I've only carried Glocks, so I have no reflex to touch the back of the slide as I'm holstering. However, I like that this device does not at all hinder the operation of the firearm. To everyone else, particularly when unholstering, it's still point and shoot.
It's an afterthought device which adds an additional point of failure. I try to take out variables, not add them. If you're really concerned the best solution is to buy a gun with a factory designed safety. For some reason, people still have negligent discharges with those too. It's almost like it's operator error and nothing to do with firearms design.

Last edited:
That is interesting. The two most common ways for an ND with a Glock is something caught while reholstering or pulling the trigger for disassembly ,not someone having there finger on the trigger unintentionally. $79.00 plus shipping. If they are completely reliable I could be interested or maybe not
21.gif
. I may ask about this on Gloctalk, cant go there now on work computer,darn sensors!

Most of these fanciful stories are people who had their finger in the trigger guard.

I'm not arguing for or against this thing, but how in blue blazes can you have your finger in the trigger guard/on the trigger when you're stuffing it back in your holster? Any good holster will cover that area up and/or be too narrow to allow a finger in there to begin with.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

I'm not arguing for or against this thing, but how in blue blazes can you have your finger in the trigger guard/on the trigger when you're stuffing it back in your holster? Any good holster will cover that area up and/or be too narrow to allow a finger in there to begin with.
Yeah, that's the point. There isn't room. Things go boom.

Originally Posted By: billt460
When you have a holster that looks like this.... YOU REPLACE IT. Not waste money on some silly gadget that prevents the trigger from being pulled.

I would not carry with leather these days but that is just me. I ditched my leather holsters years ago in favor of Kydex which would not have this issue, but if improperly holstered could cause an ND by snagging the trigger. It all boils down to the operator of the weapon and as you and others have stated, this is a gimmick to be used instead of proper firearms handling.

This guy took one right in the butt because of a lousy holster, coupled with poor gun handling. There is no excuse for this type of thing. WARNING, there are some graphic photos with this article. It's worth the read when you can learn, or just plain frighten yourself from other peoples mistakes. End result... Ruined holster. Ruined a$$. Ruined car door jamb. I doubt a $10 dollar gizmo would have saved him.

[link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back