Ethanol in Shell Gas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
Doesn't it depend on the state you're in and it's local laws? I'll bet a measurable percentage of shell sold in NA is E5. Albeit not dictated by 228 but E5 nonetheless.

Yes, I've posted that already. The overall existence of oxygenated fuel is very location dependent here in the US. Some areas like the one I live in are mandated by the Federal government to use such fuels, most areas are not. Some counties in some states (and even some cities) voluntarily opt-in for mandates despite no other laws requiring them to do so.

But your post stated that "Shell has <5% ethanol as per EN 228" which means that everywhere there is "Shell" gasoline it is less than 5% EtOH. That is not correct. Here in the US it is not dependent on brand (nor on octane rating), it is dependent on federal, state, local laws or local custom. And without being labeled otherwise it can be up to 10% ethanol - and may not even necessarily be labeled as such in some states.

I have 2 Shell Gas stations with in a mile of each other where I live and 1 is non Ethanol and the other is up to 10%. The price difference is large $2.30 for 10%vs $2.63 for non-ethanol

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Do you know how to do a simple redneck test for alcohol in fuel?

No Takers? Its Not a joke line.

Briggs and Stratton part number 795161. It is a graduated glass cylinder. You put water and fuel into it up to the fill lines, shake it up, and when the mixture settles out it has markings on the side indicating the alcohol percentage.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Do you know how to do a simple redneck test for alcohol in fuel?

No Takers? Its Not a joke line.

I know you can separate the alcohol by adding water, is that the method? I've thought about trying it for my OPE.

I've been using water to make E0 for all my OPE for years. Just make sure to get the highest octane fuel to start with as removing the ethanol will drop it by 2 points.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Olas
Doesn't it depend on the state you're in and it's local laws? I'll bet a measurable percentage of shell sold in NA is E5. Albeit not dictated by 228 but E5 nonetheless.

Yes, I've posted that already. The overall existence of oxygenated fuel is very location dependent here in the US. Some areas like the one I live in are mandated by the Federal government to use such fuels, most areas are not. Some counties in some states (and even some cities) voluntarily opt-in for mandates despite no other laws requiring them to do so.

But your post stated that "Shell has div>

That would be true. In Iowa, even with the agriculture lock on the state house and surrounded by 46 ethanol plants, I can get ethanol free gas at a dozen places within 15 miles of my house, along with E10, E15, E20, E30, E50, and E85. Our hired help in the state government think that Iowans should have a choice of what they want to buy. Even the ag lobby, which is the big kahuna when it comes to the economy of the state, can't sway the state to force feed anyone ethanol fuel. Even then, the lion's share or fuel sold in the state is ethanol laced fuel. Pricing is the factor. Ethanol free is 30-40 cents a gallon higher than E10.

Shell in Alberta has labels on the pumps that say the 87 is "up to 10% ethanol", the 89 "up to 5%" and the 91 Ethanol free. Shell seems to be the only place (here) that advertises ethanol free on the pumps.

Out here the Cali Air resources Board (CARB) dictates the blend based on air basin requirements. The question is not how much alcohol (usually around 10%), but how much MTBE ...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: yankees1
Anyone know how much if any ethanol is in Shell V Power gasoline ?
In Illinois you would be hard pressed to find it with no ethanol and usually the full 10%. Illinois gives the retailers back 3 cents of the sales tax on a gallon of 10% ethanol fuel. This combined with the fact ethanol is cheaper than gasoline it almost guarantees it has the full 10%.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Out here the Cali Air resources Board (CARB) dictates the blend based on air basin requirements. The question is not how much alcohol (usually around 10%), but how much MTBE ...
frown.gif

MTBE is rarely used anymore. In 2005 they no longer required fuel to be oxygenated. Almost all before was MTBE but they mostly switched to ethanol. I guess the Congressional mandate to use ethanol had a lot to do with that. There was a bad spill of MTBE locally here that polluted the ground water. They had to extend water lines out into the country for miles and forced people to seal up their wells.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
frown.gif

How is MTBE an issue given that California banned the use of it in fuels effective January 1, 2004?

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back