Can anyone recommend an alignment guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at my wits' end here paying for a wheel alignment and not getting quality work in return. Everyone seems to think that just because it is in the green then must be good to go. I can make my car drive better doing the job my self with a string and tape measure! I am looking for a shop that will go the extra step to make sure cross camber is good toe is set to exactly 0 ect. Not just good enough attitude.

I see guys, all the time, aligning vehicles without first checking for looseness. You always check for looseness before performing an alignment. Looseness means replacement of parts to correct the problem first. Good alignment guys are a rare breed.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Take the car to a Frame & Wheel shop.

You've lowered the car and changed how it was designed to drive, it might be as good as it gets.

if you have no other leads, then you can go to a place that has invested in a hunter RoadForce Balance or a gsp9700.
Hunter has a location finder available here:

http://www.hunter.com/gsp9700.

It can also be that parts on your car are bent and cannot be adjusted back into place, and you need to replace those bent parts.
You can also use the tirerack partner to check out details about tire shops near you and pick one that has road force balancer.

However, for that extra step, you should be prepared to pay the extra $. If you're expecting cheapo prices, you are going to get what you pay for.

If you've lowered your car, you may need to go to a shop that caters more to your fast and furious crowd, you should be able to tell by their website if they are gearheads into customization or only going by the book.

Last edited:
Personally, I go to Firestone to get their "lifetime" alignment. (Costs about as much as 2.5 alignments, so more than worth it for any car you plan to keep, I'd say. YMMV)

But no, they likely won't do any better than gettintg it in to spec, and if your drop is too steep, they may not be able to manage even that much.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
if you have no other leads, then you can go to a place that has invested in a hunter RoadForce Balance or a gsp9700.

It can also be that parts on your car are bent and cannot be adjusted back into place, and you need to replace those bent parts.
You can also use the tirerack partner to check out details about tire shops near you and pick one that has road force balancer.

However, for that extra step, you should be prepared to pay the extra $. If you're expecting cheapo prices, you are going to get what you pay for.

If you've lowered your car, you may need to go to a shop that caters more to your fast and furious crowd, you should be able to tell by their website if they are gearheads into customization or only going by the book.

I am not cheap at all. I am sick of being told that said shop is able to align my car with out a problem and then getting shoddy work back. That is the issue. All I am asking here is if anyone knows of a trustworthy shop that will get this alignment right. Don't group me with the Fast and Furious crowd because my 2015 Accord has a 1 inch drop.

Last edited:
I'd take it right back to the dealership and tell them to redo it,that it's still misaligned. The only absolutely totally and completely perfect alignment I ever got was at the Nissan dealership.

did you fill your tank full of gas before the alignment? Not sure if all cars need that but that was advice given to me by my old Mercedes mechanic. Maybe it makes a difference?

I think you got me wrong. I don't know a thing about you, but it's the fast and the furious shop that I'm recommending that will spend the extra time to get your car setup like you said you wanted. I don't know why you took it as an insult and what you have against a shop that would cater to customizations.
These guys care about cars so want to do a good job. I go to such a shop, even though my car is completly boring stock.

If they post on their website, we do corner balancing and so on, and they have "speed" or "performance" in their title, that's what you want because all those things take time to do. So if they they do stuff like modded cars ok, we do corner balance and other stuff, then they're willing to go the extra mile to get things right.

If you go to a straight-laced place, they just follow the screen and like you experienced, they see the numbers all green so you are done.

Last edited:
What I do is insist on talking to the guy actually doing the alignment. Tell him your issue, your past experience etc. Keep it short and to the point, and ask him if he can correct the problem. Then slip him $20 on the sly.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

I am not sure what you are getting at, but I think your point is: if they are willing to spend the money on a GSP9700 (a tire balance machine) then they probably have good alignment machines and techs ? Just making sure I understand your point.

Frame & Wheel Shops!

Pat's Frame & Axle
510 E Ridge Rd, Griffith, IN 46319
(219) 838-4200

Northwest Frame & Alignment
10805 Andrade Dr, Zionsville, IN 46077
(317) 873-3773

Frame Service Inc
4210 Goshen Rd, Fort Wayne, IN 46818
(260) 423-3336

yea. if they spend big bucks for a road force balance it signals they have a focus on wheels and tires and ensuring their customers go out with smooth perfect rides and chassis work is a priority. the same focus should carry through to alignment.
just like for engine work if a ship has a whole cabinet of toyota special service tools and toyota specific computers that means they're focused on toyotas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd take it right back to the dealership and tell them to redo it,that it's still misaligned. The only absolutely totally and completely perfect alignment I ever got was at the Nissan dealership.

+1

We had an "old school" place here that closed up. It was family owned and had the old "Bear" alignment sign out front.

They would balance the tires on the vehicle and by feel. They also trued the tires, which nobody does anymore. Sad!

They did all their alignments by hand. No fancy expensive machines. All my vehicles tracked straight and true and road as smooth as ever. Their cost was reasonable as well. They were in business for 50yrs and just closed up shop. Didn't even try to train anyone to take it over. I'll miss them. You can't get quality and personal service like that anymore.

To me, at least here, the Firestone shop is full of 90 day wonders. They get trained and learn what they need and leave. Never see the same person there longer than 3 months. But like I said, that is here, might not be the case everywhere.

Take it to an independent tire shop with an alignment rack. Give them specific numbers you want and they should be able to meet them almost exactly as you described. I tell my guy I want 2 degrees camber front with 0 toe, zero toe in the rear and less than 2.5 degrees camber. (that is about as low as the rear will go on camber) He put it at 2.01 degress front right with 0 toe 1.98 degrees front left 0 toe. 2.32 camber rear right and 2.33 camber rear left both with zero toe. 4 years and 50k miles later the toe is still zero all around and my camber numbers are currently 2.01 2.0 2.33 2.31. When I was going to chain shops, this never happened. I had to realign once a year like clockwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back