What beers do our European friends drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is a favorite beer thread. I'm curious as to what our European friends drink. Enjoying this at the present time

Last year at Vail skiing, I met 3 people from Germany. They were about 45 years old. Over lunch we discussed beers and skiing. I suggested they try a micro brew IPA. The next day I saw them drinking Budweiser. I asked if they tried an IPA. All three wrinkled their noses and said did not like. O well. I tried.

krombacher_pils_500ml_thumbnail.png

BIL in Germany drinks this, I liked it.

In the continental beer heartland-- southern Germany, Austria, Czech Republic-- it's gotta be lager. Pilsner, Helles, Bock, Vienna. Some of them are quite hoppy but not in the same way that IPA is.

Originally Posted By: car51

Hey hey hey! Tip that can upright! Aww, you got beer all over my monitor.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Newcastle. Now made in Belgium.

Nothing to indicate this; reference? Perhaps you are confusing ale brewing with football playing.

When my dad was in Germany for a stint, he consumed a ton of beer, as it is part of the culture. None of the big names were the beers consumed. Most of the beers served at the eateries that he and the others frequented came from a menu featuring a wide variety of local brews and my understanding from the Brewmaster at a local place here, who travels to Munich to sample various hops frequently, is that this is the common practice there. That each "area" has its own cross-section of small breweries that have their own unique products that taste the way they do because of the water used, where the hops are grown...etc. It is essentially a culture of local micro breweries which serve their surrounding areas. Now, this may not be the case for the large urban centres of course.

I know there is a favorite beer thread. I'm curious as to what our European friends drink. Enjoying this at the present time

True Mancs know that it's not real Boddies since they stopped brewing it in the old brewery near Moss Side. It's still a nice pint but John Smiths do it better IMHO.

Otherwise, Amstel and Erdinger are delightful on draft but barely palatable bottled or canned so only really suitable when 'out and about'.
Citra and DoomBar and Hobgoblin are my regular favourites, and when I feel like a bit of a change Trooper and Dizzy Blond and absolutely ANYTHING made by BrewDog.

Boutique beers FTW!

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Still my favorite

IMAG0060.jpg

The taste of Holidays! Along with Lucky Strike cigarettes I can already feel the sunshine on my back!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Newcastle x2

I expected a lot of the replies in this thread would come up, but this honestly surprises me.
I thought Newcy Brown would never gain any popularity outside of Northern England and you guys over in the land of Budweiser and JD are naming it as a favourite!
Much kudos to you

Originally Posted By: Olas

True Mancs know that it's not real Boddies since they stopped brewing it in the old brewery near Moss Side. It's still a nice pint but John Smiths do it better IMHO.

Otherwise, Amstel and Erdinger are delightful on draft but barely palatable bottled or canned so only really suitable when 'out and about'.
Citra and DoomBar and Hobgoblin are my regular favourites, and when I feel like a bit of a change Trooper and Dizzy Blond and absolutely ANYTHING made by BrewDog.

Boutique beers FTW!

Thank you sir for the education
smile.gif

I was born and raised 3 miles from the original Boddingtons brewery in Manchester England. As a kid I used to watch the dray men at our local Boddingtons pub lowering the barrels into the celler on ropes. It was without doubt the best beer in Manchester but I can tell you it's a beer that's changed a lot over the last 50 years and these days it's a much blander beer with a less bitter taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back