Pretesting thermostats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is a good practice but it has been a long day and I just wanted to get done. I figured what are chances a Honda factory stat is bad out of the box. Someone tell me it is ok so I can sleep well tonight. Thanks.

Of course you should test drive after any repairs. In the case of cooling system work, watch the temperature closely.

Nope. Get out of your pajamas, put on some gloves, and go take it out Mr!

/kidding

I've never tested a thermostat, though in my defense, as of the last time I replaced one, I wasn't aware they could be tested.

You put them in a pot of boiling water and see if it opens or not. But the last one I put in, I never tested it. The test comes after you start the car.

I've only tested them when I've suspected they may be failing using the boiling water method.

Last edited:
Are they designed to fail open or shut?

My first answer is that the factory likely doesn't boil their T-stats.

My second answer is that the dealer likely doesn't boil their T-stats.

My third answer is that it is more dubious from a parts store where the same fixture may be used for all sorts of different vehicles and ratings, as compared to OEM.

My final answer is if it fails open, do you need worry anyway?

I haven't had good luck pot of water testing a suspected bad thermostat.
It opened, so I put it back into the car and ran it probably another year until
I just couldn't stand the slow, slow warmup anymore. Tested again, it opened
and closed, replaced anyway, and car warmed up quickly.

So, hopefully you ran the engine until warm and burped the air.
Seems you'd tsee whether it opened or not.

Slow warmup means it's not closing all the way. Old ones can get sticky going either way, if there's any doubt just replace. The OP was asking about testing a new one.

Thanks to all. Turns out I couldn't sleep anyway. Got this thing where my right arm/hand go numb at night, really bad when I overdue it like doing major service on an Acura MDX. I did this early because I was concerned I may not be able in a couple years. Ahhh, the golden years.

I had a failed thermostat on my truck and replaced it with a new Stant one. Truck was constantly overheating. Thought it might be bad, changed out for another Stant. Same problem. Put in pot of boiling water and the stat never opened. An OEM AC Delco thermostat opened properly in the boiling water and solved the overheating issue.

I now always buy OEM and always test them before I install.

I, too, got a bad auto parts store thermostat that wouldn't open and caused the vehicle to overheat.

I wouldn't fret with a genuine Honda one, though. Keep your eyes on the gauge or idiot light and you'll be fine.

I say any Stant thermostat is defective off the shelf.

Had my mechanic replace the thermostat on my grandparent's 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. Afterwards it was running hot. Changed to another Stant. Still running hot. Went and picked up an OEM and held it and the Stant side by side and the Stant had a noticeably smaller opening than the OEM one. I grabbed a micrometer and it was over 10% smaller. When it's over 115 degrees, we need it as big as possible. Ran much cooler after it got the OEM one.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Are they designed to fail open or shut?

No.

At least I hope not.

No isn't an answer. Open or shut is...

I thought there were some types that were sold as fail open, as a feature?

Actually, yes...

http://www.motoradusa.com/techtip-fail-safe-thermostats.aspx

Then again...

Quote:
DOES STANT HAVE A FAIL SAFE THERMOSTAT?
All thermostats will fail in either a closed or open position; there is no such thing as a thermostat that will fail in a “safe” position. Although some brands may claim a thermostat fails in a safe position, it simply locks itself open while it is in a full stroke open position. It will not spring open if it fails in a closed position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back