Extended OCI Subaru Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Crosstrek manual says 6,000k and then replace the oil/filter. Two dealers near me recommend 7.5k/7.5 months. Aside from the confusion regarding mixed messages, are there any changes to the actual engine in a US Crosstrek that would make me want to get it changed earlier at 6k?

Also, has anyone done extended OCI with the Crosstrek at 10k/15k?

If so, what oil and filter do you recommend as I don't know if the OEM filter can withstand an extended OCI.

I believe Subaru issued a TSB to change the OCI from 7.5 to 6K; that is what the guy who sits next to me (201x outback) told me.

Perhaps the dealers are using the old #s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I believe Subaru issued a TSB to change the OCI from 7.5 to 6K

That^ right there would be something to pay close attention to! The automakers are always touting low maintenance costs, so they probably had a really good reason if they issued a TSB to shorten the interval.

My 2014 XV Crosstrek recommended 7500mi OCIs, where 2015+ dropped down to 6000mi. I believe this was SOA's reaction to the oil consumption concerns some owners saw.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
Go by the manual and keep it at 6k through the warranty.

+1. After Subaru had oil consumption problems in some engines about 3-4 years ago, they shortened the recommended OCI from 7,500 to 6,000. I'm using either a Fram Ultra or a Castrol SFX synthetic filter.

Does any run 10k or above once their warranty is up?

I'm curious about the extended OCI on a Crosstrek.

My girlfriend has a Crosstrek. I do UOAs at every oil change and currently still in warranty. Once the car is out of warranty I plan to work my way up to the 10-12k mile oil changes.

6k is the longest OCI I've done on this engine. Never been interested in doing extended oil changes since the oil is lubricating two long timing chains.

UOA prior to any changes.... I am thinking you could leave it in at 6000 miles while you're waiting for the results...

Originally Posted By: SubieMovie
Does any run 10k or above once their warranty is up?

I'm curious about the extended OCI on a Crosstrek.

Some Subaru owners go beyond 10k right out of the gate. That's having confidence in your oil selection and confidence that the oil company will back you if there's a failure. Here's one where the owner started doing extended OCI's from the beginning and wasn't afraid to experiment with different grades and specs.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2873245/1

These short-ish Subaru OCI's are a N. American thing. I'm pretty sure the UK and Europe are longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
That was an EJ engine. OP has an FB.

Good point. I don't even recall any extended OCI's on an FB. Maybe all of the oil issues and the shortened OCI has people afraid to push their interval. I'll see if I can dig something up.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
That was an EJ engine. OP has an FB.

Good point. I don't even recall any extended OCI's on an FB. Maybe all of the oil issues and the shortened OCI has people afraid to push their interval. I'll see if I can dig something up.

I know of one person on nasioc that does. Here's his latest UOA of Amsoil's best, SS 0W-30:
tapatalk_1490283621244.png

That's having confidence in your oil selection and confidence that the oil company will back you if there's a failure.

Which oil company will "back you" if you don't follow the OEM interval? The front of the bottle makes the impressive claims, the back of the bottle always says to follow the owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
That's having confidence in your oil selection and confidence that the oil company will back you if there's a failure.

Which oil company will "back you" if you don't follow the OEM interval? The front of the bottle makes the impressive claims, the back of the bottle always says to follow the owner's manual.

Most of them will. It's either follow the manufacturer's recommendations (if longer) or the oil company's recommendation (if longer).

Here's Mobil's terms for Mobil Super 5000:

Quote:
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-super-oil-warranty
What the period of coverage is
The Mobil Super and Mobil Super™ High Mileage limited warranties are valid for 5,000 miles or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.

The Mobil Super™ Synthetic limited warranty is valid for 7,500 miles or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.

Additional requirements for all Mobil Super products include: 1) Oils must be put in service not later than five (5) years from the date of purchase; and 2) an oil change must be completed every six (6) months.

However, they do say at least every six months, which may be less than the recommendation of the manufacturer. For instance, my wife's Honda has a 10,000 mile or one year OCI recommendation for "normal" driving. It goes to 5000 miles and 6 months for "severe" driving. If it was driven long distances and 10,000 mile OCIs happened less than 6 months, Mobil would theoretically cover it. My WRX comes with a 7500 mile/6 months or 3750 mile/3months OCI recommendation, although I heard that Subaru issued a service bulletin that every 3750 miles should be done for all conditions. Mobil would theoretically cover it if I changed it every 5000 miles under any conditions, even if it exceeded the manufacturer's recommendations for the conditions.

Are there any issues with getting a Fram Ultra Guard, keeping the filter for about 12k and draining and replacing the oil every 6k?

How much excess oil does a filter usually hold?

O/F doesn't hold enough oil to worry about--maybe 8 or so,ounces.The Fram FU is more than capable of 12 K miles- I've run them 16 K miles without issue--but I wouldn't do it under warranty

Does Subaru recommend 6K mile oil & filter changes using syn oil?

Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
O/F doesn't hold enough oil to worry about--maybe 8 or so,ounces.The Fram FU is more than capable of 12 K miles- I've run them 16 K miles without issue--but I wouldn't do it under warranty

Does Subaru recommend 6K mile oil & filter changes using syn oil?

Steve

Yeah they recommend replacing both. That's why I was wondering if I can just get away with replacing the oil for now and keep the same Fram filter between changes. I just think it's a big waste to just toss the OEM filters after 6k/6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back