My first new car. When to change the factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up my first NEW car! a 2017 Kia Forte with a 2.0 DOHC 4. What are the thoughts on when to dump the factory fill?
The dealer said to do the first change at 5000 miles. I don't think I can wait that long. The manual calls for 3750 for severe and 7500 for normal.
What are your thoughts?

Ive purchased 3 new cars since 2009. I ran all three with the factory fill until 5k miles. No problems on either and the first I had for 115k miles. The second I didnt keep long but it was good at 18k and now the third is at 30k and doing just dandy. I would worry more about breaking it in like the manual says. If you want to change it early thats cool, bit I would think if you changed it too early you might just contaminate the new oil with stuff still breaking in. Thats just like my opinion, man..

oh and congrats on the new car!

Last edited:
You are going to get answers both ways. It's a polarizing subject here.

Personally I like to change it out at the 1000 mile mark to get most of the fines out. How often do you plan to change it?

Originally Posted By: 2003f7
Was thinking about 5000 miles with PYB and a OEM filter.

I think this would be a great plan, unless you truly put the car through severe service.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You are going to get answers both ways. It's a polarizing subject here.

Personally I like to change it out at the 1000 mile mark to get most of the fines out. How often do you plan to change it?

+1

Kia has driving on salt covered roads as severe service. That is the only part that could apply to my driving.

Just my $0.02 as a car owner and I honestly know very little mechanical aspects about cars - I like to change the initial oil at 3000 miles just in case there are any factory contaminants. After that I pretty much follow the manual. I own(ed) 3 Hyundais and they were/are 4750 mile OCI but I did very little highway driving and usually it was hitting the time limit of the oil. Welcome to the Hyundai/Kia family - they're great cars IMO. Enjoy!!

why don't you think you can wait that long? What do you imagine is happening?

I would suggest, if you do have the itch, that you yourself do the oil change. Then you can at least see the oil and it may help you feel better.

Maybe redirect the ocd towards the paint and detail work.

Last edited:
UOA of factory fill oil nearly always shows higher than normal wear metals and particulates. Those particulates don't help an engine, and are often directly responsible for cam chain wear. I believe your engine has a cam chain. If so, change it at or around 1000 miles. Perform your next change at or before the first specified interval.

Originally Posted By: 2003f7
90% highway and the city is small town not bumper to bumper big city.

If you decide to run synthetic then you could stretch your oci to 7500 miles or even further though I would run an analysis before doing that. I take it this engine is not a direct injection? If so then 7500 would be my max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back