Recommendation for Mercedes AMG engine w/aggressive cams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't done any oil analysis, yet, since I just move to Jacksonville, FL (any recommendations locally)? Mobil 1 15w-50 and Delvac 1 5w-40 IMHO seems too thin, and you can hear the cams when warmed-up. Factory-fill for a 1995 C36 engine was Mobil 1 15w-50. I don't think they had Mobil 1 0w-40 in the USA then.

It takes about 2-miles and 5-minutes of slow stop-n-go driving to get to the freeway on-ramp.

The engine ECU and automatic tranny will hold for higher shifts (mostly 6200 RPM, but sometimes 7500 RPM) since it's a "sport" AMG tuned tranny & ECU. It's a short on-ramp, and YOU HAVE TO BE AT SPEED (70MPH) to properly merge, so it's about 5-6 seconds of WOT. Then it's 4-miles of steady cruising @ 75-80MPH.

Then it's another 3-minutes through the parking garage, so that's my cool-down.

I'd like to try a fully-synthetic oil that's thicker, a high TBN, excellent anti-foaming, high anti-oxidents, and good "cling".

Rugerman1, I'd like to try that #256 oil. How do I get it?

BTW: it's a 1988 Mercedes wagon with a 1995 C36 drivetrain and brakes. Total spend including car, about $40K.

:) neil

BTW: I'm running SWEPCO's 712 20wt. hydraullic fluid as my ATF (a la Porsche 928 users) and SWEPCO 714 80w-90 gear-oil in my limited-slip diff. Using 30K mile change intervals, the fluid is so clean in both the tranny and diff, that my mechanic who races RX7's and WRX's has switched personally, including his high-performance customers. Perhaps I should try SWEPCO's engine oil with DIMONYL which I think is moly-based?

[ September 12, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: M104-AMG ]

quote:

Originally posted by M104-AMG:
I'd like to try a fully-synthetic oil that's thicker, a high TBN, excellent anti-foaming, and good "cling".

Amen Patman!

Neil, I believe what you said is what you need...a good, thick oil, but have the TBN to neutalize acids not completely burned-off from low-temp operation, and excellent anti-foaming properties, as well as (as you put it) good "cling".

Personally, I don't believe a 40-weight HDEO would be too thin though, coming in at around 15.5cSt at 212F.

Amsoil 15w-40 AME
Mobil Delvac 1

I understand it is a "mineral" oil, but maybe you could try
Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40 . Simply put, it's an excellent oil that has the TBN and thickness, but also has moly in its additive pack, which gives it something most others don't.

[ September 12, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

My expert opinion is Amsoil Series 2000 20W-50 Racing Oil.

I was going to say Amsoil 20w-50. This works great in Pablo's Volvo. Very good oil and should do well in the benz. I don't think M1 15w-50 is too thin. In a modern car if you need anything thicker then that something is wrong. They use the 15w-50 in race cars.

hey, if M1 0w-40 is good enough for 10k+ intervals in SL55, S600, S55 etc. etc 500 HP engines, (probably doesnt hold up for 10k+\
but for 5k intervals should be more than enough..

quote:

My commute is ONLY 10-minutes (5-miles) BUT heavy acceleration.

:) neil

Who cares what oil you use, your tearing up that car only running it 10 minutes at a time,

If you can afford an AMG, I would suggest you go find a good beater car to drive back and forth. Save that wonderful engine when you can take it out for at least 20 miles or more.

Of coarse I don't want to brainwash you into which oil, but if you instist on it. I would go with the 0w40 as you don't drive long enough to get good lubrication from a 15w50.

quote:

Cost being no object, what would be the best engine oil for engine protection & longevity (semi or fully-synthetic) for a Mercedes AMG engine w/aggressive cams that is regularly shifted at redline (7500 RPMs)?...

My commute is ONLY 10-minutes (5-miles) BUT heavy acceleration...

Neil,

I got to tell you, this one hurts to think about. 10 min of basically WOT operation followed by a cold soak twice a day...ouch! It's your car and, if cost is no object, maybe it doesn't matter to you, but....OUCH...it sure hurts me.
frown.gif

Since you live in Jacksonville, you are close to our own BOB (the oil guy himself!) so you should try and pay him a visit and see some of his experiments (right now he's doing an oil filter test for instance)

IMO Amsoil 20W50, Redline 5/10W40 or Motul 300V Chrono 10W40, Competition 15W50 or Le Mans 15W60 would do a good job. If really 'cost no object' then talk to Paul Baker at NEO Synthetics for the ultimate. Better have a nice fat wallet ready!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back