Rubbish advice on BITOG these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or at least blanket statements offering clearly sub-optimal advice.

Started with the "of course 0W and 0W allways equals 0W"...entirely absent of facts and proof, just posits. Of course, two SN oils will be SN oils when mixed too.

Recently...there's never been any evidence of problems in mixing, ever. Well except for the ones that are demonstrated, but that's not proof of anything.

Latest one is contaminant solubility is the same regardless of oil temperature...

What is it for ?

Is it to make your own personal preference more justifiable to yourself ?

Drain your oil cold, don't state that it achieves the exact same outcome to newbies just because it helps perpetuate what your personal preference for comfort.

Mix to your heart's content, but don't state to newbies that there will never be an issue just because it placates that little voice in the back of your mind that suggests that you shouldn't be doing it.

36.gif

If I don't have facts I always try to say "I find that...", "In my experience...", or "My opinion..."

But yes, it does seem like a lot of people here just bark out the same few "facts" over and over. I've even had to ignore a few users already because they are always negative or giving questionable advise.

I'm on the hot 'Get it out in the old oil' train of thought myself.

Last edited:
Don't forget the mayhem that's sure to ensue from leaving the same oil filter in place through two consecutive 3000-mile oil changes.

I'll add to the list of annoyances:

• People who answer questions that nobody asked
  • People who state things that although technically true, have nothing to do with the topic at hand

Last edited:
+ people who do not read the OP post completely, or the post stream, just blabber out something that either doesn't make sense, or has already been stated in a previous post............

I'd be happy if I could consistently get my kids to always ensure that there's adequate oil and coolant in the engine! They've lost 2 cars so far...

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

• People who state things that although technically true, have nothing to do with the topic at hand

Yes. and I like turtles

Originally Posted By: E150GT

Yes. and I like turtles

oranges...
definitely oranges

Originally Posted By: CR94
Don't forget the mayhem that's sure to ensue from leaving the same oil filter in place through two consecutive 3000-mile oil changes.

cough...4 oil changes ... cough

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Or at least blanket statements offering clearly sub-optimal advice.

Started with the "of course 0W and 0W allways equals 0W"...entirely absent of facts and proof, just posits. Of course, two SN oils will be SN oils when mixed too.

Recently...there's never been any evidence of problems in mixing, ever. Well except for the ones that are demonstrated, but that's not proof of anything.

Latest one is contaminant solubility is the same regardless of oil temperature...

What is it for ?

Is it to make your own personal preference more justifiable to yourself ?

Drain your oil cold, don't state that it achieves the exact same outcome to newbies just because it helps perpetuate what your personal preference for comfort.

Mix to your heart's content, but don't state to newbies that there will never be an issue just because it placates that little voice in the back of your mind that suggests that you shouldn't be doing it.

This is why I can spend hours and hours on this site and still be confused on some things. Its just how the internet works. We live in an age of information, Its just not always correct information. Go to three different mechanics and youll get three different opinions.

Looks in mirror

Advice is just that..someones opinion based on experience or preference. Thats the point of posting isnt it? To get advice from others? Everyone will have their own thoughts and where it may come across as fact, I always think back that its a car forum and most regular folks, the non bitog kind use whatever their dealer puts in etc. The advice we split hairs over is not relevant because proving one way is better than another is the true challenge. Will 0w20 be better than 5w30? Chances are it could go either way..i take advice that seems to make sense and we have some knowledgable ppl on the forum, but we cant become sensitive about bad advice, I simply try
to look at everyones comments as opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back