Filter for 07 Cobalt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been on the hunt for a longer lasting filter for my current daily/beater, an 07 Cobalt. I currently run the standard Wix 57082 and Pennzoil Platinum. I've moved my 16 Odyssey to the FU and M1 EP after the glowing reviews here. I am wanting to follow suit with the Cobalt but there appears to be a lot of FU cartridge filter failure reports that have scared me off from going with the FU XG9018. Are these concerns no big deal? Is Fram really struggling here? That said, Walmart now carries the Mobil 1 AP filters, M1C-151A in my application. MY question, would this be the best alternative besides the FU cartridge filter?

My car uses the same filter# and I've used many different brands, one of them, up to 20,000 miles per filter change. In my opinion the Mobil 151 is one of the better filters but even the cheapest no name Chinese filter [used 8,000 miles] has never let me down. The cartridge filter can be removed, examined and re-installed in two minutes if you want to keep an eye on it. If you are changing the filter at reasonable intervals, I wouldn't over think this decision.

Last edited:
I used the XG9018 for several years on our Cobalt. Only one out of maybe 10 had a failure.

Some of the AC Delco versions are made by Hengst, and these always appeared to be the best built.

Unless you are having issues with the Wix, I would just keep using them.

Elvis, maybe you're right. I might be overthinking this. One of the biggest drivers for me looking at switching is just access to the filters. The Fram and Mobil 1 are right down the road from me at a local Walmart. I have to go into the next town for a Wix.

drtyler, the Wix does look exhausted by 6k, which is what I have been changing it at up to this point. Nothing scientific on my observation here, just noticing that the pleats are very wavy, almost "bent" in a way. I really do enjoy wrenching on my own cars. It would be virtually impossible for me to weight 10k.
smile.gif
Another point, a 10% failure rate is far too much of a risk, in my opinion. The cost difference between the M1 and Fram isn't a concern. I pulled both the FU and M1 AP out of their boxes this past weekend and both seem like stout filters at first touch.

Last edited:
I noticed wavy pleats with most of the filters I used, except for the Fram XG9018. Seems like the Hengst/ACDelco filters usually did pretty well too. The Purolator filters were the worst with wavy media. I wonder if the wavy media is really because the filters are just hair too long, and when the cap is tightened it twists the filter and media some.

On the Fram XG9018, the failure was the metal clamp that holds the crimped media together. It came loose and was just hanging out in the oil filter canister. I honestly don't remember anymore about it, except for that.

Originally Posted By: oshia86
Elvis, maybe you're right. I might be overthinking this. One of the biggest drivers for me looking at switching is just access to the filters. The Fram and Mobil 1 are right down the road from me at a local Walmart. I have to go into the next town for a Wix.

drtyler, the Wix does look exhausted by 6k, which is what I have been changing it at up to this point. Nothing scientific on my observation here, just noticing that the pleats are very wavy, almost "bent" in a way. I really do enjoy wrenching on my own cars. It would be virtually impossible for me to weight 10k.
smile.gif
Another point, a 10% failure rate is far too much of a risk, in my opinion. The cost difference between the M1 and Fram isn't a concern. I pulled both the FU and M1 AP out of their boxes this past weekend and both seem like stout filters at first touch.

Granted you have to order it but why not try the AMSOIL Ea15k03 filter? Pablo would give you a good deal I would guess.

I could, although I admit I do not know much about the Amsoil filters. Who makes those? They look very similiar to the M1 filters. I haven't checked, but I'm assuming the filter + shipping is going to come out to the same amount as the M1 filter that is available locally. Both seem to be rated for 15k. I don't know the effeciency rating of the M1 but the Amsoil looks good.

Last edited:
I've found that the fram ultra xg9018 holds up the best. Never had wavy pleats with those. I've had wavy pleats with other filters, including oem Hengst.

I've usually run Hengst and this is my first run on Fram Ultra.

I should inspect it soon, but I'd rather not mess with the gasket for no reason.

Well, at Walmart now. Two FU's on the shelf and one is tore already. I'm grabbing the M1C-151A.

The other looked perfect. To be fair, the box looked trashed. I let an employee know. He asked why I opened it, lol.

The only failure I had was with an XG9018. It had one widely spaced pleat, where a hole developed.

I don't like Purolator (P)L15436 because of a lack of media surface area compared to others, but I never had one fail.

Honestly, all the Ectoec family filters seem to be about as good as each other, so pick one and be happy.

welcome2.gif

The OE ACDelco PF457G or 458G, which is a Hengst E630H. Hengst filters are very good
smile.gif

Other good options:
Purflux L264A (Purflux used to be the OE supplier)
Mann HU 6007x
Wix 57082XP (Napa Platinum 47082)

The M1 filter is also probably a high quality filter. But if you want a wire-backed synthetic, get the Wix XP

Isn't the XP's effeciency not really that good? Something like 99% at 2'?

I'm trying an Amsoil EA15k03 in my Cavaliers Ecotec when I change it next weekend. One of the nicest looking filters I have seen for the Ecotec, Wire backed synthetic media!
If you are a PC they are less than $7! I'll try to post some pics up when I get it.

Other than that, the oem Delco made by Hengst would be my 2nd choice, my local Walmart has them for around $7

Trying to imbed the pictures of the wix. Not sure what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Many aftermarket cartridge filters are too long, so they buckle in service.

But if you stick to the ones I mentioned earlier, you will be fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

The OE ACDelco PF457G or 458G, which is a Hengst E630H. Hengst filters are very good
smile.gif

Other good options:
Purflux L264A (Purflux used to be the OE supplier)
Mann HU 6007x
Wix 57082XP (Napa Platinum 47082)

The M1 filter is also probably a high quality filter. But if you want a wire-backed synthetic, get the Wix XP

+1 Any of these you can get the cheapest is what you want

I pulled out a NAPA Pro-Select 27082 from my mom's 2007 Saturn Vue with the 2.2 L engine. Looked fine to me (~4500 miles on the filter). I replaced it with a Fram Ultra (got it for $7).
LINK to more pics

full-4879-1820-pleat.jpg

The Supertech filters at Walmart are the same thing.
I was going to get a ST for her next change, but found a Bosch Distance + on clearance, so got that instead.
ST will be my go to filter for it in the future though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back