Timing belt question

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I did the timing belt on my '99 Camry I pulled off a GMB tensioner and roller. The water pump was unmarked (the Aisin I put in says Aisin on it); I couldn't make out a vendor on the timing belt (which looked to be in good shape). Any chance that this job had been done before? The PO said the job hadn't been done, but I didn't get full service records either.

Does it matter? No, it doesn't. Call it curiosity.

I just did the TB on my BIL's '03 Beetle TDI with a Gates kit and GMB (that's what it looked like, at least) idlers were what came off and went back on - it had been done once before about 4 years ago, unsure of kit brand that time. Belt label was worn off but the water pump was different that what I put on. FWIW

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
When I did the timing belt on my '99 Camry I pulled off a GMB tensioner and roller. The water pump was unmarked (the Aisin I put in says Aisin on it); I couldn't make out a vendor on the timing belt (which looked to be in good shape). Any chance that this job had been done before? The PO said the job hadn't been done, but I didn't get full service records either.

Yes. The original water pump on my Sienna had "Toyota" cast into the housing. The later Asian pumps I bought had the Toyota logo ground off.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Yes. The original water pump on my Sienna had "Toyota" cast into the housing. The later Asian pumps I bought had the Toyota logo ground off.

Thanks.

I'm not sure why it's bugging me; I think it's because I was refusing to drive the car long distances with an "old" belt. Guess I could have. Then again, since it sprang some pretty decent oil leaks I wasn't too wrong in the end.

Remember it's not the belt, per se, that fails, but rather the tensioner or idler pulley goes bad resulting in seizure and destruction of the timing belt.

True.

Got a Mitsobushi belt and Koyo (spelling?) parts now, with an Aisin water pump. OEM o-ring on the oil pump, and I think an OEM seal on the oil pump. Toyota red coolant, OEM thermostat. Bando drive belts. And a Carquest oil pressure switch to top it off.
wink.gif

The very first time I changed out the timing belt on my old Sienna I didn't change the tensioner pulleys because they felt fine when spun. But about 45,000 miles later I got a knocking noise from the area and it turned out it was one of them that had gone bad. I had to take it all apart again and replace those tensioners. They run pretty hot being bolted directly to the block and/or head.

And sorry I meant to type "Aisin" earlier.

The kit you have with the Mitsuboshi timing belt, Bando accessory belts and the Koyo tensioner pulleys is Toyota OEM all the way.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Remember it's not the belt, per se, that fails, but rather the tensioner or idler pulley goes bad resulting in seizure and destruction of the timing belt.

I've had belts fail all by themselves, TWICE. I've had an idler go bad all by itself once.

The very first time I changed out the timing belt on my old Sienna I didn't change the tensioner pulleys because they felt fine when spun. But about 45,000 miles later I got a knocking noise from the area and it turned out it was one of them that had gone bad.

This information would be more helpful if you stated hoe many miles were on it when to changed the timing belt originally. I.E. - how many miles were on those tensioners 45,000 miles later when they went bad?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
The very first time I changed out the timing belt on my old Sienna I didn't change the tensioner pulleys because they felt fine when spun. But about 45,000 miles later I got a knocking noise from the area and it turned out it was one of them that had gone bad.

This information would be more helpful if you stated hoe many miles were on it when to changed the timing belt originally. I.E. - how many miles were on those tensioners 45,000 miles later when they went bad?

Oh, sorry. The interval in the manual is 90,000 miles I believe, and without being able to look at my records at the moment I can tell you it was very close to that mileage. So the tensioners started making noise at some point around 135,000 miles and shortly thereafter I replaced everything again. Since I replaced the belt too (that was one of the least expensive parts of the kit) I restarted the interval from that point.

I actually took it into the dealer for the noise and they diagnosed it for me for free, they know I do most of my own work and figured I'd fix it.

Also FWIW when I have replaced those belts they have looked nearly pristine as have the water pumps. This was a thread I posted at 322,000 miles:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3725933/99_Sienna_Timing_Belt_Change_-

I note I mentioned the tensioners failed about 40,000 miles after the first belt change, that may be correct.

True.

Got a Mitsobushi belt and Koyo (spelling?) parts now, with an Aisin water pump. OEM o-ring on the oil pump, and I think an OEM seal on the oil pump. Toyota red coolant, OEM thermostat. Bando drive belts. And a Carquest oil pressure switch to top it off.
wink.gif

All good stuff. The Mitsuboshi and Bando belts are my favorites for Asian engines, those are all the parts I would have chosen if I were doing it also.

I did the full timing belt service (belts, tensioner, water pump, etc) on a 2006 Honda Ridgeline at 106k miles. The timing belt looked great. I ran that truck to 203k and sold it. I would have taken it to 225k and told the guy I sold it to that I would do that.

I also replaced the $13/ea iridium plugs at 106k. I would run them to at least 150k miles. They looked new.

Timing belt replacements are always a peace of mind maintenance item. We have all heard of those drivers who went 150k-200k on the original timing belt before the pulley sized or the belt snapped. I'd rather keep ahead of the game.

Did the timing belt on my sister's car (2005 Civic) at 100k, then again at 200k. The belt wasn't hard to do, and it didn't even look all that bad at 100k. She lives 3 hours away, and lives pretty much paycheck to paycheck. A damaged engine because of a failed belt would put her in quite a bad spot, so replacing the belt at the recommended interval just makes sense.

+1 I'm with you 100% on that. A seriously broken engine is a high price to pay for skimping on maintenance, do it at manufacturers specified intervals and do it right without skimping.

having VAG vehicles with the 1.8T with 20 valves + 4 cylinders belt breakage can be very $$$$, put 2 belt kits on my 200,000 mile jetta + have one for my TT to be put on soon. carfax noted a belt at 38,000 but not knowing if it was a full kit install now at 5x,xxx miles + 6 years later i will do it all including the water pump in the kit. pay me now or pay more later! a lot more with a 1.8T for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back