Oil/filter Reccomendation for 2013 Mazda2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a delivery driver.I have about 35k miles on the car now and I drive about 100 miles 5 days a week. All weather driving-NJ. But its starting to warm up now. Its about 1/2 highway driving @ 80 mph and 1/2 city/suburbs lower speed driving mix. I also idle maybe 20 times a day for no more than 5-10 at a time minutes usually. I was thinking about using maybe mazda oil w/moly? However i was planning on using gold plug magentic drain plug and Im not sure if that would pull the metallic additive out of the oil. Any advice is appreciated!

The magnetic plug will not pull the moly out of the oil so no worries there. The Mazda Moly oil is good stuff but pricey compared to the other brands. You could use Castrol, Valvoline, Sopus, Mobil, etc. The main thing is to change it regularly. If your car is high miles with any oil leaks or consumption then something like Valvoline Maxlufe will be a good choice.

M1 0-20AFE has worked very well in my two Duratech engines, which are the same design as yours. I would use M1 0-20AFE and a MC FL 910 spin on, or if your engine is like my Fusion 2.3 it takes the MC FL 2010B Cartridge, with 10K OCI. Great combo.

Last edited:
I have use Mazda with Moly exclusively in my skyactiv mazdas. I get good oil reports too after 8000 miles. I posted one not too long ago. Also, savagegeese on youtube ran his mazda 3 with the mazda oil for 15k and had a good oil report too. I pay $8.60 a quart for mine locally at the dealer along with a dealer oil filter.
If it is a skyactiv engine I would suggest a dealer filter or if you want a wix 57002. The dealer I found is cheaper though.

Last edited:
How many miles on that engine? It appears to be not a Skyactiv engine but the predecessor to it. Decent running motor. Any blue smoke out the tailpipe?

just got it at 34k and im at 39k now. Ill have to check on the blue smoke tomorrow but I havent noticed anything like that yet.

welcome2.gif

For your usage, stick with the factory OCI until the warranty is up, then after that you can use a top-tier synthetic for 7500 miles. Castrol Edge, PP, M1.

My filter choice would be Fram Ultra, or anything made by Wix (such as any of Napa's filters, Microgard, Walmart SuperTech, etc)

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthre...nsmission-Wiki.

This link will tell you everything you want to know about the 1.5l engine in our cars. Great engine from a reliability standpoint. Very easy on oil. TGMO 0w20 has worked well for me. Recommend Fram xg6607 oil filter, changed every other oil change. They're good for 15-20k miles on these cars. I would follow Mazda recommended oci under warranty, but after longer ocis are fine. Which tranny do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back