Ever buy anything from govplanet.com? Humvees ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a bunch of junk on that website......unless you want an Humvee.

Last edited:
I thought H1's could NOT be sold to the civilian market? I thought they had to be scrapped or parceled out to other government agencies?

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I thought H1's could NOT be sold to the civilian market? I thought they had to be scrapped or parceled out to other government agencies?

The ones for sale in Utah say something about a "end use statement" or something to that affect. It makes me think they are not street legal. AT least in Utah.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

The ones for sale in Utah say something about a "end use statement" or something to that affect. It makes me think they are not street legal. AT least in Utah.

It is in the FAQ’s including an example filled out.

Yes. Many years ago I was considering purchasing one before I retired from the Army. I planned to use it for going to the range an as a bug out vehicle. They have an exclusive contract to sell the HMMWV's at auction and will continue to do so for many years to come until they are phased out by the GCV. I was going to mount my M60 to the guntruck.. but then I thought.. I hated them. The are slow as [censored], they have small tierods for a cross country vehicle that size, and the tech is OLD on them. If I wanted a good range vehicle or bug out vehicle I'd buy a Hilux or a Tacoma... I can weld a couple of turret mounts on those. The end user agreement just states you plan to use it as an off-road vehicle, not to be used on public roads, I believe (It's been about 8 or 9 years).

Maybe good for some hunters or those on a lease, or someone that just want to play Army. I've had enough of them.. They did nothing but help put shrapnel in us.

Gov has had contracts selling surplus (used) since around 2006.They normally start around 4-5 for bad condition and decent ones for a few thousand more.

There's a Wheeler Dealer episode where a 1 is rebuilt. A big difference between the military version and the knock offs GM sold is the chain driven hubs which allowed more ground clearance.

Only people that didn't serve seem to think that Milspec or "Military Grade" is actually good.

The Hummer H1 is the civilian and street-legal version of the same vehicle, but it's not clear what's really different in them other than padded seats, air conditioning, and the massive 454 big block gas engine to make it actually make 60 mph the same day you press the gas pedal. That's not a "knock-off".

The H2's and H3's were just a Tahoe and the smaller GM thing with different sheet metal.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Info in this article (from 2014) with some background links in there about how it came to be.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/military-will-finally-sell-used-humvees-to-the-public-s-1671735866

Wasn't there some issue with Jeeps rolling over? Quick look shows maybe M151. I recall hearing from one old timer about how he bought one, welded it back together, and couldn't see what the issue was, as he couldn't get it to roll over, no matter how hard he tried cornering with it. Wonder if the gov is trying to avoid a repeat. Not sure what specifications the HUMVEE meets, emissions, safety, etc.

We have bought a few...

Generally the ones up for auction are the rough of the rough. One of ours blew up driving off the delivery guys trailer.

The are extremely hard to get licence - the paperwork you receive when buying one states for offroad use only. SD will however title and license one if you know the correct way and people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back