PUP 5w-30 - 4,100 miles - 2017 WRX STI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somewhat alarming to say the least. This oil saw 2 runs at the drag strip; it's my daily driver with a 55 mile round trip a day that's 90% highway with occasional spirited pulls. Cars stock except for the axle-back exhaust.

7,100 miles on the car? Does it have a copper oil cooler? No matter what oil you use going forward I'd keep the next OCI or two short to flush out all the break in wear if the mileage is in fact 7,100 miles on the car.

The copper is most likely from a cooler. If it doesn't use aluminum bearings then its uses tri metal which would have to wear through the lead/tin layer before getting to the copper middle layer, these levels are reported as zero in this UOA.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The copper is most likely from a cooler. If it doesn't use aluminum bearings then its uses tri metal which would have to wear through the lead/tin layer before getting to the copper middle layer, these levels are reported as zero in this UOA.

I agree. With 7,100 miles on the car its a little too soon to be condemning a car or an oil over a UOA. The engine is still shedding break in metal, and if it uses a copper cooler that can drive you nuts for quite a while. I wouldn't be overly concerned yet.

I keep on seeing these PP/PUP/QSUD UOA's coming in with low Calcium in the 1800-1900 range. That's quite low when only 4 yrs ago the PU/PP were over 2600 and even the PYB was over 2400 ppm. Compare the old Phos/Zn at 744/987 to today's weaker numbers. Did Pennzoil gut the add packs or are the turbo's/DI's just using it up?

Yes, the mileage was 7,100 with this oil sample. Compared to the first UOA at 3,190 miles cooper jumped up significantly which raised a concern. In my time roaming around here, and looking at UOA's; I don't recall ever seeing one jump so high in the second UOA. I could be mistaken, but that's why I was concerned even though it's a new engine.

And yes, the car does have a factory oil cooler. I am just somewhat puzzled at why it would jump more than two fold from the last UOA - why would it leech so much cooper?. Also correct me if I am wrong, aren't most turbo bearings made from cooper ?

FYI - the first UOA was FF drained @ 3,1xx miles.

Last edited:
I was not to blown away by my PUP UOA; it wasn't bad, but I expected better for the cost and difficulty in acquiring it now. I switched to some other brands to see how they do instead. Some engines just do better with different oils. I think if this were my car, I would probably give ENEOS full syn a try. NAPA sells it here for $30 per 5 qt. jug.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I keep on seeing these PP/PUP/QSUD UOA's coming in with low Calcium in the 1800-1900 range. That's quite low when only 4 yrs ago the PU/PP were over 2600 and even the PYB was over 2400 ppm. Compare the old Phos/Zn at 744/987 to today's weaker numbers. Did Pennzoil gut the add packs or are the turbo's/DI's just using it up?

Wondering the same and if it matters all that much? PQIA recent tests shows those oils with +- 2300-2500 range Calcium and +- 750 for Phos. Not sure if the tests are comparable to Blackstone. Do formulations change very often?

AFAIK most are bronze, ball or ceramic not pure copper. If it were bronze the tin would be higher as while bronze is mostly copper it has 12% tin. Copper from a cooler can leech a long while.

Originally Posted By: theeagleflies

Wondering the same and if it matters all that much? PQIA recent tests shows those oils with +- 2300-2500 range Calcium and +- 750 for Phos. Not sure if the tests are comparable to Blackstone. Do formulations change very often?

PQIA's voa was 4 years ago. It certainly could have changed (prior to "pure plus version tested), but here is the most recent voa on BITOG I could find FWIW. 2015 PUP VOA

Originally Posted By: ejes
Originally Posted By: theeagleflies

PQIA's voa was 4 years ago. It certainly could have changed (prior to "pure plus version tested), but here is the most recent voa on BITOG I could find FWIW. 2015 PUP VOA

they've lowered the Ca and boosted up Mg because Ca was flagged as contributing to LSPI.

OK, I'll say it, run a 40 grade oil, like M1 or Edge 0W40.

Mate in Australia races these with the boost turned up to 21 or 22 psi, and runs a high zinc 15W40 HDEO.

I can see the concern about warranty, but doesn't the drag strip already void this ?

UOA's this early in an engine's life can be problematic. Aside from fuel dilution, and coolant in the oil there isn't too much info to be gathered from them. Wear metals are going to be high. I'd do a few more short OCI's and sample it again at about 15-20K miles and see what's going on then.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
they've lowered the Ca and boosted up Mg because Ca was flagged as contributing to LSPI.

They clearly haven't based on the 2013, 2015 VOA's and now this current UOA above. Magnesium is no higher than it was on the 2013 VOA at 17 ppm. That's a negligible amount of mg...compared to the 400-700 ppm showing up in some Mobil 1 and Castrol products that do employ magnesium in their add packs.

1) A lot of silicone.
Check air filter and all tubes...

2) Was first (previous) oil Idemitsu 0W-20 with 1000ppm of Moly? On EJ255 turbo? Wrong choice. You cannot use SAE20 on TURBO especially on EJ turbo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock

They clearly haven't based on the 2013, 2015 VOA's and now this current UOA above. Magnesium is no higher than it was on the 2013 VOA at 17 ppm. That's a negligible amount of mg...compared to the 400-700 ppm showing up in some Mobil 1 and Castrol products that do employ magnesium in their add packs.

The moly looks higher in the OP posted analysis compared to the VOA referenced.
Are these formulas tweaked all the time?

The VOAs on record here are out of date. Companies change formulations all the time. Nobody can go by a 2013 analysis for today's oil.

If this is a Japanese build, The extra moly is from the factory fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back