I bought rejected gas and saved two cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a non-rejected Sunoco across the street but I got this no-name stuff instead!

I like this station because I don't have to enter my zip code to use my credit card or answer any other stupid questions. The pump is loud and pumps fast.

Two cents per gallon or 2 cents for the fill up. If per gallon you may have really saved .25 or so. I'm guessing this was filling up the 02 Camry? Further guess it's the red SE one.

The wierd part is they're still allowed to sell gas. I saved 2c a gallon and filled my wife's HHR with the stuff. Calculated MPG is within tolerance, actually slightly better than average.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The wierd part is they're still allowed to sell gas. I saved 2c a gallon and filled my wife's HHR with the stuff. Calculated MPG is within tolerance, actually slightly better than average.

It has to be within .05% or so

+- 6cubic inches per 5 gallon IIRC.

if its over 10 off the pump will be wired/locked/sealed.

This is per 5gallon sample which is 1155Cubic inches.

Maine may differ slightly.

Also if all the pumps are slightly off shorting they may all get the reject even if its not fully out of spec.

for example all pumps were shorting 3Cubic inches per 5 gallon.

I take a markedly different tack; I don't reward companies that choose not to keep their equipment maintained to standards.

The wierd part

Yes, it is certainly weird.

Could you report that to the state? It seems like they shouldn't be selling gas out of a rejected pump. You might be able to get a refund
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I take a markedly different tack; I don't reward companies that choose not to keep their equipment maintained to standards

01.gif

Wouldn't you have to figure out how much you're getting shorted? If it's enough, then you're not really saving 2 cents, but paying more for less gas. But if it's off the other way and giving you more than a gallon, then that's a pretty good deal.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Could you report that to the state?

The State put that sticker on. They know about it.

I take a markedly different tack; I don't reward companies that choose not to keep their equipment maintained to standards.

The wierd part

Ok, Pop Rivet

2 cents a gallon? Why bother? Here I see a 10 cent variation today on top tier regular and that's in the country and all stations within 5 miles.

Originally Posted By: mk378

That's true. But still, shouldn't it mean they're not allowed to sell anything from it? Like the state says "ok, this pump failed inspection, you can't sell from it until you fix the pump and it passes."

BTW, it's good that stations ask for your zip code. It's a fraud prevention device; if someone steals your credit card info, they'd have to know where you live, so if they don't know your zip code, they can;t use it at those pumps
smile.gif

The wierd part

Ok, Pop Rivet

Haha! Too funny

The wierd part

Ok, Pop Rivet

Touche

The wierd part

Ok, Pop Rivet

You forgot to underline it for him.
laugh.gif

Don't people READ the posts? ROFL.

That's true. But still, shouldn't it mean they're not allowed to sell anything from it? Like the state says "ok, this pump failed inspection, you can't sell from it until you fix the pump and it passes."

BTW, it's good that stations ask for your zip code. It's a fraud prevention device; if someone steals your credit card info, they'd have to know where you live, so if they don't know your zip code, they can;t use it at those pumps
smile.gif

I understand that there's ** a reason ** why the pump wants to compromise your privacy. There always is. That does not give them the right to compromise your privacy.

Worse, the benefit you get is no benefit, because the Credit Card issuer, not you, is the potential beneficiary of your compromised privacy. So you gave it up for nothing.

Let's not forge it's not VISA who gathers this information ... they already know your Zip Code. It's {someone} who owns or controls the pump. You may as well paint your Zip Code on the back window of your car; it's essentially the same thing ... giving your personal data to a stranger whom you cannot identify.

What if the pump was compromised and had a criminal card reader attached in place of the one this mysterious owner installed? Now you've given Criminals your CC number AND your Zip Code. Why stop there? Why not just mail them a copy of your tax return? After all, by entering your Zip Code you prove that you place no value on your personal information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back