Yard Scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 17 year old son who has been doing the mowing for me the past few years. He joined the Army and has been off at boot camp for two months now. I was joking with him before he left that I'd have to get a new mower now that those duties are going to fall back on me. It first started off as a joke, but I talked myself into it over time.

Brought home a new Cub Cadet Pro Z 154S yesterday. MSRP is $7k and I paid $6,300.00 out the door. That includes 6% tax.

It's a zero turn with a steering wheel. It has pedals for forward and reverse and as you turn the wheel it slows the appropriate transaxle (right or left) to compensate for the turn. It's pretty slick and works very well. It will do a 180 in place like a normal zero turn.

Because the front wheels are not casters like a lap bar zero turn, it is much more stable on hills (which we have). Before, we had a 54" Husqvarna riding mower and it took 4 hours to mow the lawn (a few acres - I don't know exactly how much). I'm hoping to cut that in half with this new machine.

It is powered by a Kohler Confidant 27hp fuel injected engine. I think it's a new line for Kohler, so I hope it proves reliable. The EFI should help save some fuel, and no choke makes it easier for my wife to operate.

I'm 34 and I'm hoping this is the last mower we ever buy. It will be stored inside and very well maintained. It's pretty heavy duty. Cub markets these mowers as commercial units, and I'd say they're close, but maybe not something a pro would use to mow 8 hours a day with. Cub has 100, 500, 700, and 900 series units under this Pro Z line. Looking at them at the dealer, I'd definitely call the 500+ commercial quality. Very heavy duty. The 100s are no lightweights, but not quite as heavy duty as the bigger machines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Your 34 with a son in the Army??

Who makes Cub Cadet?

I'll stick my Ariens self propelled for the exercise. I

Yes, and his mother (my wife) is 31. She was only 13 when he was born. But, he's adopted.
smile.gif

We're foster parents and he was placed with us 4 years ago. Good kid who had a terrible first 13 years on this earth. He's completely turned his life around.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ur_#Post4281057

Cub's parent company is MTD.

I hear you on the benefits of the physical exercise a push mower provides, but it would take me days to mow our entire yard with one. As it is, I do probably about 30 minutes a week with our push mower and another 30 with a weed eater trimming up what the big mower can't get to.

Last edited:
Nice looking ZTR! I see it has Hydrogear ZT3400 drives, which are great, but I would have hoped for better based on this price range of this machine. Hydrogear also makes ZT3600, 4400 and 5400 (more progressively heavy-duty the higher the number).

I had a Cub Z-Force ZTR with a fab'd 44" deck for a few years that was "premium residential". It was a decent machine, I just didn't care for it for the rough and hilly mowing I had at the time.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Nice looking ZTR! I see it has Hydrogear ZT3400 drives, which are great, but I would have hoped for better based on this price range of this machine. Hydrogear also makes ZT3600, 4400 and 5400 (more progressively heavy-duty the higher the number).

I had a Cub Z-Force ZTR with a fab'd 44" deck for a few years that was "premium residential". It was a decent machine, I just didn't care for it for the rough and hilly mowing I had at the time.

The 3400s should be fine for my use. I know I'm paying a premium for the steering wheel model, but other than some smaller Toros, Cub Cadet is the only manufacturer offering this option. Makes a lot of sense for some people.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5

The 3400s should be fine for my use. I know I'm paying a premium for the steering wheel model, but other than some smaller Toros, Cub Cadet is the only manufacturer offering this option. Makes a lot of sense for some people.

I don't disagree. Cub pioneered this technology back around 2010 when I bought my ZTR. It's a nice setup. Quite a bit more moving parts than a conventional stick drive ZTR, but nothing too bad. These HydroGear drives are nice. Mine had ZT2800's, which were the first of this user serviceable series. Pretty easy to service these units. The replaceable spin-on filters are available online for a fraction of the cost of the Cub parts counter. Drives used to spec 15w40 motor oil, not sure what they say today however.

Your setup is MUCH better for rough and hilly mowing. Easier on the body too. My arms would go numb after awhile keeping my stick drive ZTR going. Try to swat a fly on your face while mowing? I made that mistake once, letting go of a stick.. Whoa.. WHEEEEE!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: cpayne5

I don't disagree. Cub pioneered this technology back around 2010 when I bought my ZTR. It's a nice setup. Quite a bit more moving parts than a conventional stick drive ZTR, but nothing too bad. These HydroGear drives are nice. Mine had ZT2800's, which were the first of this user serviceable series. Pretty easy to service these units. The replaceable spin-on filters are available online for a fraction of the cost of the Cub parts counter. Drives used to spec 15w40 motor oil, not sure what they say today however.

Your setup is MUCH better for rough and hilly mowing. Easier on the body too. My arms would go numb after awhile keeping my stick drive ZTR going. Try to swat a fly on your face while mowing? I made that mistake once, letting go of a stick.. Whoa.. WHEEEEE!

Originally Posted By: Hydro-Gear
Typically, an engine oil with a minimum rating
of 9.0 cSt (55 SUS) at 230° F (110° C) and an
API classification of SL is recommended. A
20W50 engine oil has been selected for use
by the factory and is recommended for normal
operating procedures.

75 hour initial service and then 400 hour intervals thereafter. Should last me a good long while. My current mower has 506 hours on it and it was used 9 summers.

Cub warranties this new mower for 4 years and 500 hours in a residential setting (2 years/unlimited commercial).

I hear you on the fun of lap bars. When I was a teenager, my grandfather purchased a Scag and and I mowed his yard for 7 or 8 summers. It was fun on hills at times.
smile.gif
That Scag is still running just fine.

I was somewhat reluctant to purchase the steering wheel model due to the added complexity (if you haven't go check out the steering setups on the 500+ series - BEEFY!), but honestly, at the end of the day, I'm well situated to fix whatever may break. Unless something major fails under warranty, the dealer will never see me again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back