HM Oil for Beater Car - recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought an old chase car from work that has 250,000 miles on it. Almost all highway miles and I know it was serviced every ten k with good synthetic oils.

However it now has a small leak and I was wondering if anyone could make a good high mileage recommendation? Also, at this point does it matter if it is syn or Dino oil?

2010 check hhr

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure but I've noticed a small oil spot on the driveway. I can't see investing anything at this point just trying to swell the seals

Makes sense, ML does a good job at that, stopping/slowing leaks. Since the car is older with high miles and won't be seeing mostly hwy miles I'd shorten the oci to 5k miles. Pennzoil HM is another option.

I'd probably go with Super Tech conventional high mileage, and throw in a bottle of ATP 205 while I was at it.

The best HM I've used so far to alleviate minor seepage has been Maxlife Synpower. I tried it after a 5k run of Pennzoil Platinum HM didn't work. I didn't hold out much hope the ML would work and was really surprised that it did. It was on a Toyota v6 that I could never track down the leak; seepage after cleaning after each oil change trying to locate it. Never did drip on the ground, just seeped all over the bottom of the engine, frame, etc.

Maxlife SB or M1 HM in my personal experience should help.
Right now, the MIR on M1 makes it the pick.
Either will work if any HM oil will.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Makes sense, ML does a good job at that, stopping/slowing leaks. Since the car is older with high miles and won't be seeing mostly hwy miles I'd shorten the oci to 5k miles. Pennzoil HM is another option.

X2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back