Napa gold any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many NAPAs run a "Filter Days" sale each year. I work part-time at a NAPA, and I stock up during the sale, because they're actually chaper than my normal employee discount, which is cost+10%. Ask the guys at your NAPA if they have this sale.

Yep we just had ours we have one every year around March time,picked up another case of 1036's came out to about $3ish a filter.

Another option is to order Wix from Fleet Filter. When you factor in that there's no sales tax charged and the box comes right to your door it is often a better value than waiting for the sale and driving to NAPA. You don't have to get a whole case either.

I just had an interesting experience with a Napa Gold. As I spun the filter on - the gasket contacted normally - but before I could feel the gasket compress fully, it started to feel as if there was metal contact. I unscrewed and screwed on several times to be sure - but still didn't feel good about over tightening. I have not experienced removing an over tightened filter - and based on friends who have - I don't want to.

So I tightened just to the point of beginning to feel the metal contact - thinking that perhaps the gasket was just a little thin. A couple days later I was at work and we had had some rain. As I walked out to the car I could see that someone's car had lost some fluid - but couldn't tell for sure whose. So I checked the oil and sure enough it was down about a 1/4" on the dipstick. I bent down on the ground and it did appear to be coming from the filter area.

When I got the car home that I evening it dropped several spots of oil as I was jockeying it to get it on the ramps. Changed the filter to a P1 didn't even look the Napa over other than the gasket seemed fine - as I wa so PO'd. Added 3/4 quart and haven't dropped a drop since.

Not sure if the metal contact I was feeling was the cannister or the mounting plate. I've used Napa's many times before with no issues - so not sure what happened here. I didn't even take it back.

Anyone had any similar experiences??

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad

Not sure if the metal contact I was feeling was the cannister or the mounting plate. I've used Napa's many times before with no issues - so not sure what happened here. I didn't even take it back.

That is a strange indecent ... especially if you've used the same NAPA filter before without any problems. Sounds like they might have changed something in the design of the base plate (assuming it was bottoming out on the mount), or that filter was made wrong for some reason (ie, manufacturing QA issues).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Solid filter, that one. Could I use that on my Civic instead of the 1334? Looks like better filtration ratings.

http://wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51334

The 51334's Beta Ratio: 2/20=22/40 worse than the 1356's beta ratio.

The 1356's Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/19

This is what I don't like about the 51334. It's only 95% efficient @ 40 microns. That just doesn't seem good compared to other filters.

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Solid filter, that one. Could I use that on my Civic instead of the 1334? Looks like better filtration ratings.

http://wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51334

The 51334's Beta Ratio: 2/20=22/40 worse than the 1356's beta ratio.

The 1356's Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/19

This is what I don't like about the 51334. It's only 95% efficient @ 40 microns. That just doesn't seem good compared to other filters.

You know what is strange, though? It's still better rated than the factory Honda OEM oil filters that cross reference for that Wix/NG.

Thanks for the heads up. Got mine today. My local store did not have it advertised but when I called they said the sale was indeed on and ended tomorrow.

Price came out to about $3.25 per filter.

Last edited:
The best if not made in China... careful
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: kemo
it costs more from fleet filter than it does to buy from amazon.

I paid $40.92+frt for 12.

Further defrayed frt cost by including two of Wix's excellent cabin filters.This is the same as Napa Gold 7060 fits GM V8s.

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix57060mp.html

I would like the OP to account for his cost to drive round trip to Napa plus value his time (1hour?) in doing so.

Let's be conservative and say it's $1 for gas and $10/hr for your time (mine is worth much more than that). Let's say OP buys two filters each trip. That's $11 x 6 =$66.00 in personal cost to acquire a dozen oil filters. Mail order is cheap!

My Wix are marked Made in U.S.A. By the way.

Last edited:
Great filter, problem is that they are rarely on sale at the NAPA's near me. I won't pay regular price because there are better alternatives at that price range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Great filter, problem is that they are rarely on sale at the NAPA's near me. I won't pay regular price because there are better alternatives at that price range.

weird as my local Napa always has a spring/fall sale on filters. I'd think this would trickle out to all stores via headquarters. perhaps it's up to the independent store owners.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to NAPA's filter sales. I had read that they put them on sale spring and fall, and since they had just gone off sale last week where I live, I thought I missed it. But, lo and behold, they are on sale now. Don't know if it's the end of a week on sale, or beginning. But, for the oil filter, the one I use, a 7356, for most Hondas, the difference is only 75¢, from $7.49 down to $6.75. This is 10% off, which is the normal sale discount for all the filters at NAPA.

That said, I think it's an excellent filter. I don't know a lot about all of the filter construction features, but my consolidated impression is that this filter incorporates the best construction features and materials: thick can material, spiral core, coil spring, silicone ADBV, decent media. I think it's superior to even the -01 variant of the Honda OEM filter, and it's about the same price, and more easily available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: kemo
it costs more from fleet filter than it does to buy from amazon.

I paid $40.92+frt for 12.

Further defrayed frt cost by including two of Wix's excellent cabin filters.This is the same as Napa Gold 7060 fits GM V8s.

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix57060mp.html

I would like the OP to account for his cost to drive round trip to Napa plus value his time (1hour?) in doing so.

Let's be conservative and say it's $1 for gas and $10/hr for your time (mine is worth much more than that). Let's say OP buys two filters each trip. That's $11 x 6 =$66.00 in personal cost to acquire a dozen oil filters. Mail order is cheap!

My Wix are marked Made in U.S.A. By the way.

I did the same thing for my Mustang, and agree a case of filters is hard to beat for the price over the long haul.

http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/merchant....;Category_Code=

I received a case (12) of Napa Golds.

Originally Posted By: earthbound
Originally Posted By: Lubener

weird as my local Napa always has a spring/fall sale on filters. I'd think this would trickle out to all stores via headquarters. perhaps it's up to the independent store owners.

Definitely is. All Napas in my area price things differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back