Are worn out vehicles allowed on European roadways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the junk that is allowed on American highways baffles me. People driving with worn tie rods, worn suspension components, missing bumpers, bald tires, you name it.

In the UK at least we have yearly 'MOT' tests to ensure a vehicle is roadworthy.
The test checks for wear on tyres, suspension and braking components, rust, severe oil leaks and emissions.
Generally even things like split CV boots & split ball joint dust covers are a fail.

Problem is lots of people just have a service and an MOT once a year and think all is well. No checks are done on the car in the mean time. That means you always see people with bald tyres or doing 20k without even lifting the bonnet!

However every country in Europe is different.

Last edited:
This thread makes me miss TopGear with Hammond, Clarkson and May.

Thankfully we now have Grand Tour on Amazon.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992
In the UK at least we have yearly 'MOT' tests to ensure a vehicle is roadworthy.
The test checks for wear on tyres, suspension and braking components, rust, severe oil leaks and emissions.
Generally even things like split CV boots & split ball joint dust covers are a fail.

Problem is lots of people just have a service and an MOT once a year and think all is well. No checks are done on the car in the mean time. That means you always see people with bald tyres or doing 20k without even lifting the bonnet!

However every country in Europe is different.

Not to mention an MOT ticket is a minimum standard to meet, and definitely not MY standard...

In Germany: NO. Police even can (And will) seize you car for safety reasons if the officer found worn parts on suspenion, brakes, muffler and so.

Other European Countrys: I dont know exactly, but they seem to be not so strict like germany.

Yep.
And many of those vehicles are driven on German roads by visitors every day.

Rules are strict here as well: sooner or later the 'local MOT' inspection mobile unit will catch you, license plate number collected from the vehicle and no further travel with it just after passing the extraordinary MOT test later on.
E.g. my old SAAB had no EU license plate number, but the old HUN version, so I was pulled over the police very frequently...
Situation much strict with the heavy duty trucks and trailers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Some of the junk that is allowed on American highways baffles me. People driving with worn tie rods, worn suspension components, missing bumpers, bald tires, you name it.

In NH we have yearly state inspections to get garbage off the road or fixed. Europe is a large place so laws vary.....

There's a year's MOT here so to pass car really has to be in good working order. Tyres, signalisation, headlights, emissions, brakes, suspension and body all gets checked. And brake's fluid boilling point.
Similar in Slovenia, I have car MOTed there too.

In rural areas standards and requirements are probably lower.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver

In NH we have yearly state inspections to get garbage off the road or fixed. Europe is a large place so laws vary.....

They vary very little... most variation is when vehicles get tested first. In Belgium it's 4 years, and after that every year. If you have however less than 62k miles at 4 years, you get a ticket for 2 years.

If you fit a towbar rated for more than 750kg (3/4 ton), even new vehicles have to get tested just after registration and yearly from that day. Trailers rated more than 750 kg have to get tested yearly aswell.

Busses get tested every 6 months and if they fail for brakes or suspension/steering parts only get a 3 month ticket after repair and retest.

Test centres are not allowed to fix cars, not even align the lights.

The vast majority of cars I see and deal with 3 yrs and older wouldn't pass the TÜV or an MOT.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The vast majority of cars I see and deal with 3 yrs and older wouldn't pass the TÜV or an MOT.

Cars only 3 years old could fail inspection? 3 years seems awfully new to already have problems!
shocked2.gif

Can brakes and tires wear out in 3 years? With the roads in many of the rust belt states its not uncommon for front end parts to be worn or damaged after a couple of years. I just did brakes n a 2014 X5.

Fair enough
smile.gif

I wasn't thinking of wear items like that, but still I thought OE brakes and tires would last longer than that! I had thought most OE wear items on American market cars were geared for long life (even if this meant slightly less performance)

Brakes and clutches are mostly dependent on the driver and kind of use the vehicle sees. Most of the stuff I see is more city driven or stop and go than highway.

Germany test the brakes on a drive on brake roller, that's where many failures are noted right at the beginning of the test They test front, rear and park brake and only allow a small difference between L/R as well as minimum brake force exerted on the machine. You would be surprised at how many brake and park brake failures there are.
Smart DIY guys go to the garage for a brake and light aim test before going for inspection to avoid a fail.
This tester is the best way to test for safety and also a great diagnostic tool.

We have one year testing, 3 years on new, here too, and it's one of the things I do. With such a variety of vehicles from different countries, it's turned into more of a compliance check. There is always the conflict between a dedicated testing station, and a local garage. The testing stations say they are non biased and are not getting work out of the testing. Problem there is that they are not working mechanics anymore, they are box tickers, no judgement based on working experience, just tick or cross in the box. In 47 years in this game I've never seen any fleecing of customers...making fails to get the work. Not saying it doesn't happen, but not at any place I have worked. Here it's a visual check only, we are not allowed to remove anything for a more in depth inspection. I spend about 30mins on a test, but can take more or less depending on the vehicle. I always do a road test, and check brakes on the road with an electronic brake tester.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

I was going to see if anyone who live in VA was going to chime in here, because I am pretty sure that they have some sort of annual inspection that's onerous (or so I understand from all the complaints). Maryland is only requires an inspection when you buy the car, and that is waived when the car is new. Only inspection is emissions testing every 2 years, and if your car is OBDII, they just plug something into the port. If your car is new enough, you can do the emissions test yourself with a self serve tester that you plug into your OBDII port (and for some reason there is no line for this test too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back