Valvoline Synpower good for more than 5K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my brother won a 50 dollar gift certificate to some quickie lube place in town. He took his 2009 Cobalt SS turbo in for the oil change and picked Valvoline Synpower which was an extra 35 bucks on top of the 50 dollar gift certificate. The 'tech' told him to come back again in 5000 miles which to me sounds like a load of bovine feces. I don't know if the LNF Ecotecs are tough on oil or not but I'm pretty sure a 5000 mile OCI on Synpower is a waste. Am I right or wrong?

On a naturally aspirated engine, Valvoline white bottle is good for 5K. Synpower even more. But turbos tend to be harder on oil.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
[censored] people actually drop $85 for a quickie lube oil change!?

On Synpower no less, where DIY could be under $30.

And yes it should be good for over 5k. Take a sample and UOA to be sure...bet it might not even BE Synpower.

I'm running SynPower right now, I'll probably change it in 7k to 8k miles. Given I'm using a Euro grade, it can probably do more than 10k miles, but you know how it goes....

I've seen a ILSAC and Dexos semi-synthetic Magnatec 5W30 produce good UOA's at 9k miles in a turbo Ecoboost, it was a good UOA, but time to change. I would expect a Dexos rated Valvoline SynPower to perform similar.

My concern wouldn't be pushing the SynPower out to 7.5k miles, my concern would be did they use real SynPower.

After my surgery I took the mirage to jiffylube and the wanted $90 I told the the mirage only took 3 quarts of oil and I could buy a 5qt jug at Walmart for $22. I left and paid a co worker to do it haha

Yes, Synpower is stout enough to be used past 5k miles, turbo or naturally aspirated Cobalt.

Well, any Dexos dino oil can last till the OLM kicks off (seems to be 6000-8000 miles for most), so a syn can easily do 5000 and then some.
For most driving, 7500 miles easily for the Synpower.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Yes, Synpower is stout enough to be used past 5k miles, turbo or naturally aspirated Cobalt.

Smart man and I hope your recovery goes well sir
smile.gif

Synpower API SN is a dexos 1 licensed oil so should be good to run for as long as the IOLM allows.
I did get a laugh out of the upcharge.
Oh, you have the gift certificate?
Then it'll be eighty five.
Seems like a lot of money for five quarts of Synpower, a cheap oil filter and fifteen minutes of unskilled labor even in Canadian dollars combined with Canadian motor oil prices.
I'm assuming that you're located in the Canadian maritime province and not the city in New Jersey.

I can only speak to my personal experience and UOA results. 2004 Lexus ES330 sampled a few miles short of 7k on 5w30 SynPower single digit wear metals plenty of TBN remaining to safely extend to 9k.

Obviously different engines and different driving conditions will fare different but 7.5k should be ok based on my experience. I will dig up the UOA and post here.

85$ for a syn oil change is bananas. I guess they need to make about 55$ profit for the 15 minute job...guess it supports their hourly labour rate...

Id go maybe 7500 miles on it to be safe. Unless you run a UOA.

A few weeks ago I changed the oil in the Matrix which had 10.600 miles on Maxlife full syn. Took a sample mid drain and sent to Blackstone. They received the sample this past Thursday at 10am so hopefully will hear something soon.

Originally Posted By: SR5
....My concern wouldn't be pushing the SynPower out to 7.5k miles, my concern would be did they use real SynPower.

Ditto. Unless you saw it go into the car, I would only assume they used VWB. The downside of having someone else do your oil change.

The first clue should have been "won" a $50 gift certificate. That's the oldest trick in the book. He won almost nothing. They double the price and then give you a $50 gc, what a croc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back