ACDelco full synthetic or Valvoline synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using synpower recently, with good results, although I have never had an oil analysis done. The other day I was having a conversation with my friend who works at the GM parts counter, he told me he can get me the new dexos approved ACDelco full synthetic for around $4 a quart. This is significantly cheaper than Valvoline synpower. My question is, would switching to ACDelco full synthetic be a step backwards? Or could it be a better oil than what I'm using? I can't find any information on the new full synthetic. Although i would assume it has moly rather than sodiumm, like valvoline. The only thing on the web is the old ac delco synthetic blend, which they are no longer selling or using in GM dealers. Your input is much appreciated, thank you

AC Delco oil is manufactured by Mobil and I'm sure the full synthetic would be the same as Mobil 1. I wouldn't think that would be a step backwards at all, but nothing wrong with anything Valvoline either. So my .02 is that you can't go wrong with either of those choices. I'd go with the less expensive one.

Originally Posted By: Big_3_Only
AC Delco oil is manufactured by Mobil and I'm sure the full synthetic would be the same as Mobil 1.

You can't make those kinds of assumptions, we really have no idea and Mobil will do whatever GM (or any customer) asks including tinker with the formula to hit a demanded price point and still make the spec's requested.

I have never seen a UOA/VOA on AC Delco full syn, but I will tell you the AC Delco Dexos blend consistently posts the most unimpressive UOA's here of any Dexos blend. I would stick with the Valvoline personally if you like it.

I'm not one hundred percent sure the new ACDelco oil is made by mobil. The design of the bottle looks to be completely different from the previous synthetic blend, which was obviously a mobil product. My only concern with the Valvoline is the lack of Moly, several people have reported that Moly is really good at preventing wear and reducing engine noise. Again please keep the responses coming, I value everyone's input on the site

Originally Posted By: NHRATA
I'm not one hundred percent sure the new ACDelco oil is made by mobil. The design of the bottle looks to be completely different from the previous synthetic blend, which was obviously a mobil product. My only concern with the Valvoline is the lack of Moly, several people have reported that Moly is really good at preventing wear and reducing engine noise. Again please keep the responses coming, I value everyone's input on the site

Not sure on wear but I picked up no noise going from Castrol Edge EP to SynPower.

Mobil 1 is the only that created some clatter on my Impala. Really inconsequential, I'd run it again if it was cheap enough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHRATA

From what I read here,Valvoline uses something to substitute for the traditional moly.

I'm partial to Valvoline because I know mechanics who use it it in their shop and in their own cars. I have a long history with it as well. They use another friction modifier besides moly that cannot be picked upon analysis. Engines I have seen inside with six figure odometer readings have been very clean inside.

Nothing wrong with ACDelco, since it's GM dealer oil, so it should be perfectly fine for any GM car that calls for dexos1. I know it's made by ExxonMobil, and it might be rebranded Mobil Super Synthetic or very close to it.

$4 is a great price for a full synthetic, better than even store brand synthetic oil, and even a lower price than regular-price name-brand dino. It's even cheaper than Walmart brand synthetic.

The only way I'd pick Synpower over $4 ACDelco synthetic is when Napa puts their house brand synthetic on sale for $3/qt (they do a few times a year, but it's not on sale right now). Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower.

The $4.00 price tag is pretty sweet. But if it is a lesser oil then synpowerun I don't mind spending more money for a better product.

You're sure the syn would be the same as M1?
You mean kinda like TGMO is the same as M1?

My above post shows the new AC Delco full synthetic, it doesn't really look like mobil packaging. That's what had me wondering if it's still made by mobil

"Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower."

This same poster keeps repeating this even though it's not entirely true. Ashland makes the Napa oil but it's not Synpower. That makes no business sense whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
"Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower."

This same poster keeps repeating this even though it's not entirely true. Ashland makes the Napa oil but it's not Synpower. That makes no business sense whatsoever.

Exactly! That false statement simply refuses to die on here. It makes no business sense whatsoever for Valvoline to fire sale their top tier oil, and if you look closely at the spec's it is clear that Synpower uses better base stocks than the Napa.

The Napa is a fine synthetic house brand, is indeed made by Ashland/Valvoline and uses a similar add pack, but it simply is NOT rebranded Synpower.

That picture is not of the most current ACDelco Dexos 1 Next Generation Full Synthetic. That is an older ACDelco full Synthetic that meets the old dexos spec. The Dexos 1 Next Generation Full syn is in bottles that look just like Mobil Super bottles. Take a look on eBay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back