Anyone used the new M1 High Mileage? (SN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason why it's thick is to reduce oil consumption. Alternatively you can go up in SAE viscosity grade and use regular instead of high-mileage oil.

yepp, in the jeep right now.

Have 1600 miles left on the OCI then 10w40 M1 HM going in

Biggest change I remember seeing is their 10w-40 jumped from ~14.5 cSt to 16 cSt. HTHS remains the same. I don't believe the 10w-30 changed.

I find it odd the 5w-30 and 10w-30 have the same 100C visco with such different HTHS visco.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I find it odd the 5w-30 and 10w-30 have the same 100C visco with such different HTHS visco.

Not odd at all, on the contrary, it makes perfect sense. 5W-30 has more VII, therefore has a lower high-shear viscosity, as VII temporarily shears in high-shear conditions. Of course, VII could also permanently shear and reduce the low-shear 100 C viscosity as well.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Not odd at all, on the contrary, it makes perfect sense. 5W-30 has more VII, therefore has a lower high-shear viscosity, as VII temporarily shears in high-shear conditions. Of course, VII could also permanently shear and reduce the low-shear 100 C viscosity as well.

Typically to get such a low HTHS, the 100C visco is also quite a bit lower, in the 10 or 11 cSt range. Reference regular Mobil 1 5w30 (11 cSt and 3.1 cP HTHS) and 10w30 (10.1 cSt and 3.0 cP) . I'm betting it's a documentation error.

Typically to get such a low HTHS, the 100C visco is also quite a bit lower, in the 10 or 11 cSt range. Reference regular Mobil 1 5w30 (11 cSt and 3.1 cP HTHS) and 10w30 (10.1 cSt and 3.0 cP) . I'm betting it's a documentation error.

Nope.

In order to understand this, you need to understand how VII (viscosity-index improver) and HTHS (high-temperature, high-shear) viscosity work.

VII improves HT (high-temperature) viscosity by extension of the polymer molecule. However, these molecules also temporarily shear under HS (high-shear) conditions, leading to a loss in viscosity. 40 C and 100 C viscosities are measure under LS (low-shear) conditions, where VII molecules don't shear. Note that shear refers to how fast the two engine parts are sliding and how close they are -- the ratio of their relative speed to the oil-film thickness. The shear rate used to measure and report HTHS viscosity is 1 million per second, meaning that if the oil-film thickness is 1 micron, the two parts slide for 1 meter in 1 second.

All this means is that M1 HM 5W-30 uses more VII than typical. This large concentration of VII results in a strong 100 C low-shear viscosity but a weak 150 C high-shear viscosity. You can estimate amount of VII in an oil by comparing the ratio of the 100 C low-shear viscosity to HTHS viscosity to those of other oils with the same SAE viscosity grade, similar base oils, and similar VII molecule. Higher the ratio is, higher the VII concentration is.

Note that this is exactly why older cars do not recommend 5W-30 while they recommend 10W-30. Even though 5W-30 and 10W-30 have the same 100 C low-shear viscosity, 10W-30 has a stronger high-shear viscosity (HTHS viscosity) because it contains less viscosity-index improver and you don't have to worry about temporary shear in high-shear areas (sliding areas) of the engine.

Another. more widely known, concern, something people mention a lot here, is the permanent shear, where VII molecules are permanently broken. This happens as oil ages (typically a few thousand miles) and both the low-shear and high-shear viscosities are permanently reduced in used oil due to the permanent breakdown of the VII molecules.

Some more reading, albeit marketing-oriented, is here:

https://www.oronite.com/paratone/shearloss.aspx

I guess this means the high ZDDP is gone? That's a shame, because this seemed like a nice, readily available oil for older cars with flat tappet cams. I should have stocked up.

Originally Posted By: novadude
I guess this means the high ZDDP is gone? That's a shame, because this seemed like a nice, readily available oil for older cars with flat tappet cams. I should have stocked up.

Absolutely agree. I was using the Mobil 1 HM just for that reason and it used to be a very well respected oil to use in older cars because of the higher ZDDP. Now that that is gone I will have to find a substitute oil with boosted ZDDP for my older classic cars.

The reason why it's thick is to reduce oil consumption. Alternatively you can go up in SAE viscosity grade and use regular instead of high-mileage oil.

Yep, that's what most do in Australia, just go up a grade.

HM oils aren't very big in Australia, I can only name two that I know, Valvoline MaxLife 20W50 (no other MaxLife grades here) and Shell Helix HX7 15W50 HM. Both are semi-synthetic.

But most people just step it up a grade and keep moving. I doubt most would know what a HM oil is over here.

It wasn't all that high to begin with, but the 10w40 is still about 1000 ppm if I understand correctly.

Even with the product data sheet now updated to SN, it still says that the hm formula contains "Extra anti-wear additive". The Product Guide shows zinc being reduced, Mobil is using a different anti-wear additive besides zinc? Since they are saying "extra" anti-wear.

If this is the case, it would be more robust than the standard Mobil 1 and EP versions. For older cars with flat tappet cams, if they could run a heavier viscosity, 0W-40, TDT 5W-40, and 15W-50 still have zinc over 1000, for now.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Absolutely agree. I was using the Mobil 1 HM just for that reason and it used to be a very well respected oil to use in older cars because of the higher ZDDP. Now that that is gone I will have to find a substitute oil with boosted ZDDP for my older classic cars.

Zinc additive...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ive#Post4361997

It was my understanding that HM oils have a lot more thought into their design as opposed to being just a "thick 5w-30" or whatever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back